+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wow 60k to 100k to drive a tube train

Re: Wow 60k to 100k to drive a tube train

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Lowering a tube drivers salary doesn't help a nurse feed her family.

How can you think a salary is justified without knowing what their salary is or what the requirements of their job are?
    I know exactly the roles and salaries of nurses.
    I know how a large number of nurses feel about the ridiculously high salary of a train driver.

I do know that a train driver has responsibilities, but nowhere near as much as many nurses.

Does anyone really think that a train driver should be on over three times the salary of an expereinced and Qualified Nurse, for example working front line in A&E, Coronary Care, Cardiac Surgery or Intensive Care?

Quite a simple question really!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Here's a thought - the disparity between the most wealthy in the country and the poorest is considerably larger than anywhere in Europe. What if the money for those wage increases came from the huge profits that the billionaire owners and corporations, who like paying peanuts, like squirrelling away overseas so they can avoid tax at the same time?
    I totally agree about the abuse of power of multi national or huge national corporates.
    Thats why I have chosen not to use Amazon, Tesco, Starbucks and Costa, etc. for at least the last 15 years.
    It's refreshing to hear that France is taking a major stand against these types of corporates and taxing even a little more appropriately. I would like to see the UK do the same.
    However, the drive to increase NMW and low wages in general has a knock on effect with those slightly above that and so on.
    It's that pay differential that is obviously necessary and appropriate, that means there will always be people on the lowest wages. Stating the blindingly obvious I know.
    Therefore, increase NMW will increase a huge amount of people's wages, which in turn rapidly increases the costs of living.
    It's the costs of living and what people perceive as poverty today is what needs addressing.
    People's expectations on low wages today are significantly higher than their counterparts 10, 20, 30 and 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    I know exactly the roles and salaries of nurses.
    I wasn't referring to nurses, I was referring to

Some of the 5% of higher earners are likely to be seniors in the medical and legal professions.

With the amount of knowledge, skills, training, on going professional development and responsibilities, then i think their salaries are justified.
    You have just said someones salary is justified without knowing what they earn. The reality is they will be earning many multiples of the average train drivers salary.

Does anyone really think that a train driver should be on over three times the salary of an expereinced and Qualified Nurse, for example working front line in A&E, Coronary Care, Cardiac Surgery or Intensive Care?

Quite a simple question really!
    No I don't. However, there are 1.5 million people earning what these people earn, singling out 3000 of them as 'the problem' is just a bit weird. Remuneration has absolutely nothing to do with value to society, the CEO of bet365 takes home 9000+ nurses salaries every year, surely start with those people and work your way down??

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Not sure why your pre-amble about Brexit was necessary, other than to show that not everything is black and white in politics.
    We may occasionally share exactly the same viewpoint on certain matters, even with polar opposite views on the majority of political matters.
    I know exactly how the 1999 minimum wage impacted a number of businesses.
    It didn't financially impact many businesses paying low wages, because they were paying close, if not above the introduced NMW of £3.60 in April 1999.
    Therefore, the financial crisis you jokingly alluded to didn't materialise.
    What did happen, was the number of job applicants rapidly reduced after NMW was introduced, as often people felt 'their' value was worth more than the 'minimum'. It was also not helped when Naomi Campbell ludicrously stated she wouldn't get out of bed for less than £10,000 a day.
    Pre-NMW, the number of applicants were plentiful.

The 28% minimum wage increase that Labour wants is far too much to responsibly introduce, without it adversely impacting on SME's, costs of living, council taxes, inflation, mortgages and the country's balance defecit.

There will be many businesses severely damaged, social and nursing care will be decimated, significant job losses as a result and many councils will declare bankruptcy.
    Your last paragraph shows precisely why I mentioned Brexit - opinions predicting dire consequences if a certain direction is taken being expressed as if they are facts, tell me how that differs from "project fear".