+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

God and Jesus take a right leathering

Re: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

dear ***** in charge of religion

Re: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Is it a letter or a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Is it a letter or a book?
    ...a short book?

The original poster is fibbing. The only books he's ever read is Maggie Thatcher's autobiography and the Beano Annual.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ...a short book?
    Or a long letter?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The original poster is fibbing. The only books he's ever read is Maggie Thatcher's autobiography and the Beano Annual.
    About the same level I'd suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Read a synopsis of it. He strikes me as incredibly juvenile, putting forward the sort of arguments that a 15yr old might - why doesn't God stop wars, look at all those killed in religious conflicts, etc. etc.

What his book really is, is another person's attempt to mock why people have faith and belief in something intangible, something which the author obviously finds so frustration and bewildering. So what..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Read a synopsis of it. He strikes me as incredibly juvenile, putting forward the sort of arguments that a 15yr old might - why doesn't God stop wars, look at all those killed in religious conflicts, etc. etc.

What his book really is, is another person's attempt to mock why people have faith and belief in something intangible, something which the author obviously finds so frustration and bewildering. So what..
    I've never seen the point in this. It's the equivalent of evangelists standing on the street corner trying to get you to read bible/ Koran passages or knocking on your door to see if you've found Jesus. If people want to believe then let them, whatever religion it is.

It has always puzzled me though, why do people pray to god to cure them from an illness - if they believe in god, then surely they believe he created everything - including the illness they've got and want him to take away. Is he saying - here have this serious illness, then tell me how much you love me and I'll get some doctors to cure you of it.

I've never seen the point in this. It's the equivalent of evangelists standing on the street corner trying to get you to read bible/ Koran passages or knocking on your door to see if you've found Jesus. If people want to believe then let them, whatever religion it is.

It has always puzzled me though, why do people pray to god to cure them from an illness - if they believe in god, then surely they believe he created everything - including the illness they've got and want him to take away. Is he saying - here have this serious illness, then tell me how much you love me and I'll get some doctors to cure you of it.
    They pray to their god but make an appointment with the doc and have operatilns in hospital to hedge their bets. And people thank their deity for sparing them when a building collapses killing many others.
    Religion is indoctrinal bunkum.

All these posts just show that you don’t understand the first thing about Christianity. Perhaps if you at least studied it a bit, you might come to undearstand our point of view, even if you don’t believe it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    All these posts just show that you don’t understand the first thing about Christianity. Perhaps if you at least studied it a bit, you might come to undearstand our point of view, even if you don’t believe it yourself.
    I was brought up a Catholic, so know a fair bit about it.

I was brought up a Catholic, so know a fair bit about it.
    I would disagree, there’s plenty the Catholic Church can’t/won’t teach you about Christianity, just about their own rules. There is a big difference between a relationship with God and organised religion. I wasn’t raised anything, I came to God aged 39 after I studied the Bible for myself.

I was brought up Catholic, was even sent to a convent school at the age of 8, lovely place and the Nuns were great teachers I used to enjoy communion and all that jazz, but by the age 12/13 I had figured out it was all bullshit they all just seemed to enjoy the lifestyle than actually believe in it all.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I was brought up Catholic, was even sent to a convent school at the age of 8, lovely place and the Nuns were great teachers I used to enjoy communion and all that jazz, but by the age 12/13 I had figured out it was all bullshit they all just seemed to enjoy the lifestyle than actually believe in it all.
    I quite agree, most Catholics I have met know very little about being a Christian.

I quite agree, most Catholics I have met know very little about being a Christian.
    I would add that attending church and being a Christian are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    They pray to their god but make an appointment with the doc and have operatilns in hospital to hedge their bets. And people thank their deity for sparing them when a building collapses killing many others.
    Religion is indoctrinal bunkum.
    What an absolute crock of shit. How many people who have faith do you actually know? I was brought up a Catholic, i'm now an atheist, i simply don't believe there is a god but plenty of people do. The vast majority that i know are moderate and don't take the bible literally, those that do are usually crack pots with right wing tendencies. Although i'm not a believer i respect those that do, Individuals and their faith are presented in many different guises, it isn't a one shoe fits all as you present. My mother has faith, as does my wife, they are moderate free thinkers, their faith can mean many things at different times, it gives them strength and comfort without judging or hurting anyone and i know hundreds of people with faith who are like that. You really should get out more

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Religion is utter bollocks and any book that boots it up the arse and it's thick following gets my vote

I would disagree, there’s plenty the Catholic Church can’t/won’t teach you about Christianity, just about their own rules. There is a big difference between a relationship with God and organised religion. I wasn’t raised anything, I came to God aged 39 after I studied the Bible for myself.
    Is that the Bible that supports slavery ? All complete medieval crap

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What an absolute crock of shit. How many people who have faith do you actually know? I was brought up a Catholic, i'm now an atheist, i simply don't believe there is a god but plenty of people do. The vast majority that i know are moderate and don't take the bible literally, those that do are usually crack pots with right wing tendencies. Although i'm not a believer i respect those that do, Individuals and their faith are presented in many different guises, it isn't a one shoe fits all as you present. My mother has faith, as does my wife, they are moderate free thinkers, their faith can mean many things at different times, it gives them strength and comfort without judging or hurting anyone and i know hundreds of people with faith who are like that. You really should get out more
    Yeah but it's all shite

Show me someone who has come back from the dead and we can talk

Most Christians I know, know very little about being a Christian

Is that the Bible that supports slavery ? All complete medieval crap
    It really doesn’t, you’d know that if you’d read it.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Most Christians I know, know very little about being a Christian
    Most Christians you know are probably not Christians, many think they are because they’ve been misled and haven’t studied for themselves.

Suggest you read 'The Divine Dance' by Richard Rohr....it might well make you change your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Your response is rather amusing on several counts. Firstly, that my view lacks gravitas as you assume that I know few people of faith and that I don't get out enough. I have friends of different faiths (including a lay preacher) and probably 'get out' more than most people, having visited a multitude of so-called holy places around the world, including Shinto shrines in Japan, Buddhist temples in Vietnam, mosques in the Middle East and Africa, Ancient Greek temples, Roman temples, pagan sites, Native American sacred places, synagogues in Israel and in Eastern Europe etc etc.
    Your associating 'God' merely with just one of the Abrahamist schisms suggests that you are perhaps the more parochialist here as we know that there there have been thousands of gods worshipped in the history of mankind and that believers rarely baulk against the one passed down to them by local authorities, customs and their peers. If people were really free thinkers there would be shintoists in the Inuit community and believers in Shiva in Saudi Arabia.
    The fact that believing in deities brings comfort to people doesn't mean that it isn't bunkum. The fact that a relative of yours is a Christian is almost definitely down to the expansion of the Roman Empire into Britain. Religion and languages often travel via the same conduits.
    As for your comment about 'one shoe fits all', it's a load of cobblers