+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Re: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    That's why it's called FAITH and its your choice.

But as St John said ...He was in the world but the world did not recognise Him.

St Paul was like you Sludge and he turned into a great apostle.
    It's not the choice of the indigenous people of South America who were brutalised into Catholicism

Re: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How do you know such a thing was said and by the person it was assigned to? So-called holy books were written by men and usually a long time after incidents supposedly took place. Stating such things as fact cannot be justified one iota.
    Comedy books

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    Perhaps you are referring to Ephesians 6-5, which does indeed instruct servants or bondsmen to obey their masters. No different to you listening to your boss at work.

This is why scripture needs to be studied, you have to apply knowledge of what a servant or bondsman means along with what a Master was at the time. You can’t read 2000-4500 year old texts with a 21st century viewpoint.
    Well millions of idiots around the world believe in the word of fantasy written in these age old books , feck me they live their lives by them

That's why it's called FAITH and its your choice.

But as St John said ...He was in the world but the world did not recognise Him.

St Paul was like you Sludge and he turned into a great apostle.
    Have you got a recording of st John saying this .............I know jfk was shot because it's on film

St John might have been a tree for all we know

Franco propped up by the Catholic church , the Catholics in Croatia supporting Nazism , the forced genital mutilation of Jewish boys all in the name of a book , cobblers , all of it

Perhaps you are referring to Ephesians 6-5, which does indeed instruct servants or bondsmen to obey their masters. No different to you listening to your boss at work.

This is why scripture needs to be studied, you have to apply knowledge of what a servant or bondsman means along with what a Master was at the time. You can’t read 2000-4500 year old texts with a 21st century viewpoint.
    Interesting stuff. So were the servants referred to purchased from another master or hired directly of their own free will? And were they considered the property of their master before being becoming free or were they independent traders? Just trying to clearly understand the distinction here as to be honest I'm not that familiar with the servant class in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Have you got a recording of st John saying this .............I know jfk was shot because it's on film

You can’t just say something isn’t real if you haven’t seen it the biggest problem is it can’t or hasn’t yet been proven either is correct

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    You can’t just say something isn’t real if you haven’t seen it the biggest problem is it can’t or hasn’t yet been proven either is correct
    Or put another way, you can't actually prove that something doesn't exist. But that in itself doesn't add legitimacy to it existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Judaism, Christianity and Islam all worship the same god, they just kill each other over who has the best prophets.
    The only religion that seems obsessed with killing others on every continent on the planet is Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Genie, you are generalising massively. You are entitled to your opinion, but you talk in such definitive terms about a subject that means different things to different people, and those people exercise their faith in many different ways. It's not as easy to suggest that everyone is wrong and you're 100% sure of it, it's a dangerous attitude to take. Plenty of religious people don't take what the good book says literally, how could they and why would they want to? Faith is a hugely complex subject. You may think it's all nonsense, that's fine, i'm no believer either, but to be dismissive is an insult to so many good people who have faith in my opinion.
    I’d agree there is a lot of diversity in terms of belief. The Quakers for instance seem to range from fundamentalists to non-theists, with a significant proportion holding more liberal views. I read they’re considering dropping the word god from guidance for their meetings for worship.

Most Christians you know are probably not Christians, many think they are because they’ve been misled and haven’t studied for themselves.
    I didn’t realise you had to study to be a Christian. That explains a lot. The Christians I know have infidelity and blasphemy as core competencies

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    The only religion that seems obsessed with killing others on every continent on the planet is Islam.
    What about Catholicism , Spanish inquisition , Catholics denying contraception to millions of women in Africa thus spreading certain death through aids

All religion is bullshit

What about Catholicism , Spanish inquisition , Catholics denying contraception to millions of women in Africa thus spreading certain death through aids

All religion is bullshit
    Well said

Doubting Thomas now?

You know it's not possible to give you a recording of St John, but you should read his words with an open mind, not locked into hatred and criticism.

Cannabis highly addictive ? Where do you get your gear from ?
    I don't take drugs, or ever have done..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I don't take drugs, or ever have done..
    Apart from alcohol the most evil drug of them all

Doubting Thomas now?

You know it's not possible to give you a recording of St John, but you should read his words with an open mind, not locked into hatred and criticism.
    Oh I have all religion you got that right , it's evil

Franco propped up by the Catholic church , the Catholics in Croatia supporting Nazism , the forced genital mutilation of Jewish boys all in the name of a book , cobblers , all of it
    Sludge, what you'll find is that it was the people at the top of the tree who had most to gain who supported Dictatorships, not about religion, more about power, you are talking about the establishment, the rule makers, but then you lump everyone with religion into the same category, that's ridiculous. You wouldn't generalise about poor people, black people or women, why do it with people who are religious-is it because it's an easy target? You are getting a bit mixed up with those at the top who are only interested in power. That isn't only a problem with religion. Incidentally, most of the people at the top of the Religious tree are men, why don't you attack men as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Sludge, what you'll find is that it was the people at the top of the tree who had most to gain who supported Dictatorships, not about religion, more about power, you are talking about the establishment, the rule makers, but then you lump everyone with religion into the same category, that's ridiculous. You wouldn't generalise about poor people, black people or women, why do it with people who are religious-is it because it's an easy target? You are getting a bit mixed up with those at the top who are only interested in power. That isn't only a problem with religion. Incidentally, most of the people at the top of the Religious tree are men, why don't you attack men as well?
    We all know men and religion are *****

Yes but do you know who shot JFK?????

Most, if not all (some I don’t know about) of these do not practice Baptism. Look up he etymology of the word and you will see why. They do practice infant “Christening” which is quite different and has no basis in scripture.
    I've been to a few catholic "christenings" , and the priests said "I baptise thee , in the name of the father etc." Were they lying?

They also forced the genital mutilation of catholic choir boys in order that their voices wouldn't break.

It's not the choice of the indigenous people of South America who were brutalised into Catholicism
    Another reason I differentiate between the Roman Catholic church and Christians. If you research into why the RC church was set up by Constantine you’ll see why. The RC church has done many good things and many, many aweful things inc. South America and the Crusades. But ultimately they have taken over the role of the Pharisees and Sadducees as “Religious Leaders”, the very people Jesus railed against for lacking faith and misusing the temple. Look at all the wealth they have amassed, that’s just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I've been to a few catholic "christenings" , and the priests said "I baptise thee , in the name of the father etc." Were they lying?
    They are not really lying if they don’t understand the difference and don’t know better.

A question for those who were “Raised Catholic”, not to offend but just for me to improve my understanding. Did you read/study the bible for yourself, or did you read other sources of information, or did you rely on what priests told you ?