+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Apart from alcohol the most evil drug of them all
    Really ? The same old argument from the drug taking community...

Re: Best anti religion book I have ever read , Sam Harris, letter to a Christian nation

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I wonder what the crime rate would be alcohol vs marijuana? I know where I would place my bet

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Doubting Thomas now?

You know it's not possible to give you a recording of St John, but you should read his words with an open mind, not locked into hatred and criticism.
    Oh I have all religion you got that right , it's evil

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Sludge, what you'll find is that it was the people at the top of the tree who had most to gain who supported Dictatorships, not about religion, more about power, you are talking about the establishment, the rule makers, but then you lump everyone with religion into the same category, that's ridiculous. You wouldn't generalise about poor people, black people or women, why do it with people who are religious-is it because it's an easy target? You are getting a bit mixed up with those at the top who are only interested in power. That isn't only a problem with religion. Incidentally, most of the people at the top of the Religious tree are men, why don't you attack men as well?
    We all know men and religion are *****

Have you got a recording of st John saying this .............I know jfk was shot because it's on film

St John might have been a tree for all we know
    Yes but do you know who shot JFK?????

It's not the choice of the indigenous people of South America who were brutalised into Catholicism
    Another reason I differentiate between the Roman Catholic church and Christians. If you research into why the RC church was set up by Constantine you’ll see why. The RC church has done many good things and many, many aweful things inc. South America and the Crusades. But ultimately they have taken over the role of the Pharisees and Sadducees as “Religious Leaders”, the very people Jesus railed against for lacking faith and misusing the temple. Look at all the wealth they have amassed, that’s just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I've been to a few catholic "christenings" , and the priests said "I baptise thee , in the name of the father etc." Were they lying?
    They are not really lying if they don’t understand the difference and don’t know better.

A question for those who were “Raised Catholic”, not to offend but just for me to improve my understanding. Did you read/study the bible for yourself, or did you read other sources of information, or did you rely on what priests told you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    A question for those who were “Raised Catholic”, not to offend but just for me to improve my understanding. Did you read/study the bible for yourself, or did you read other sources of information, or did you rely on what priests told you ?
    I read a couple of versions of the book myself, along with other religious texts. I then used my own personal experiences of both the catholic church and my day to day life, along with logic, to realise that they were nothing but stories to appease the fear of death and to control the populous.

Now some questions for you - which version of the bible do you believe and which bits of it do you not take literally?

Read a lot of the bible in RE lessons where the teacher was not a priest/monk/nun. In fact, going to church or even seeing a priest was quite rare when in St Illtyds never mind getting preached to by them.
    Most of the church going events occurred in primary school.

I just sat there and thought of girls and football ........honestly.......

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Yes but do you know who shot JFK?????
    It was the lone gunman but he's lying low on here as the old bill are after him , I know where he lives but he's not in

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I read a couple of versions of the book myself, along with other religious texts. I then used my own personal experiences of both the catholic church and my day to day life, along with logic, to realise that they were nothing but stories to appease the fear of death and to control the populous.

Now some questions for you - which version of the bible do you believe and which bits of it do you not take literally?
    KJV, I think it’s the most accurate (but still not perfect) translation we have. The trouble is, others have Copyrights attached, and to get a copyright you have to make (I think) something like 1000 changes, which have altered the maening of the text in many places.

Most obvious example for not taking literally is much of Revelation plus many of Jesus’ own allegorical teaching etc.

KJV, I think it’s the most accurate (but still not perfect) translation we have. The trouble is, others have Copyrights attached, and to get a copyright you have to make (I think) something like 1000 changes, which have altered the maening of the text in many places.

Most obvious example for not taking literally is much of Revelation plus many of Jesus’ own allegorical teaching etc.
    Doesn't the KJV refer to Unicorns and Satyrs?

Don’t get me started, it won’t end well 😂

Sam Harris, a man who shut down his Patreon website account because he didn't agree with them banning someone who called people "******s" and "faggots".

Classy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Sam Harris, a man who shut down his Patreon website account because he didn't agree with them banning someone who called people "******s" and "faggots".

Classy guy.
    He believes in free speech , I don't agree as with free speech comes responsibility but I don't think he's yet killed anyone in the name of a cloud in the sky

And the police , hospitals , beaten wives

Blimey, did you really write that ?

Religious faith is a personal matter. I'm just amazed how other peoples' beliefs bothers so many, so aggressively.
    Well you certainly wouldn't be capable of writing it given your bollocks on smoking a joint

Well you certainly wouldn't be capable of writing it given your bollocks on smoking a joint
    Your're quite a nasty bloke sometimes aren't you.

Blimey, did you really write that ?

Religious faith is a personal matter. I'm just amazed how other peoples' beliefs bothers so many, so aggressively.
    Can you point out the last time a bunch of aethiests strapped bombs to themselves or shot doctors outside abortion clinics ?

It probably is nonsense.
    But I like being Catholic, take the best bits of it and ignore the dogmatic nonsense and it’s ok.
    I like being part of the parish community, was glad I was educated in that system and due to the amount of catholic’s there’s always a wedding, birthday party. Communion party etc etc etc to go to.
    I can’t logically justify it, but **** it like going to Mass and being part of something.
    If it is nonsense I won’t know when I die so hey ho.

Your're quite a nasty bloke sometimes aren't you.
    Typical tory

This downer you have on Catholicism is only temporary. You'll be back in the the front pew at St Cuthbert's Church when your three-month exclusion expires. You deserved a longer, much longer, ban for the crude remarks you made to that buxom organist. What her chest measurements are and what they may weigh is no business of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    This downer you have on Catholicism is only temporary. You'll be back in the the front pew at St Cuthbert's Church when your three-month exclusion expires. You deserved a longer, much longer, ban for the crude remarks you made to that buxom organist. What her chest measurements are and what they may weigh is no business of yours.
    Don't mess with the docks catholics