+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock's comments after the Watford game

Warnock's comments after the Watford game

I only heard a bit of what Warnock said after the game on Saturday but I was disappointed that his very first comment was about the ref and the fact that it was only his second game.

To me at any rate, the ref's performance had zero bearing on the game at all - in fact I didn't even notice him (which is always a good sign) and so I was surprised. Warnock also went on about Deeney's challenge on Etheridge which again, attracted little attention during the game.

Why he didn't just say that the team fought back well and could have nicked it at the end, whilst also commending Watford on 3 excellent goals, I don't know.

A bit of realism and humility never goes amiss.

Re: Warnock's comments after the Watford game

just what i thought...he does lack skmetimes.
    hope we get back to tackling people with the ball instead of watching them...worst performance this season for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I only heard a bit of what Warnock said after the game on Saturday but I was disappointed that his very first comment was about the ref and the fact that it was only his second game.

To me at any rate, the ref's performance had zero bearing on the game at all - in fact I didn't even notice him (which is always a good sign) and so I was surprised. Warnock also went on about Deeney's challenge on Etheridge which again, attracted little attention during the game.

Why he didn't just say that the team fought back well and could have nicked it at the end, whilst also commending Watford on 3 excellent goals, I don't know.

Have you felt that at any other point this season? My impression is that 99% of Warnock's post-game comments have been "they were a bit too good for us today, my lads are honest, listen to those fans." There have been flash moments, like Ralls' tackle against Spurs, but I'd say it was rare this season for Warnock to speak about the ref before anyone else.

I wonder if his comment about first goal was the strange use of advantage? Sure, we should have re-organised given how much time there was between Murphy being fouled and their goal but, unless ref was indicating no foul, cannot see how Murphy was in a position to gain advantage or what advantage he did gain in order for it not to be pulled back.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Have you felt that at any other point this season? My impression is that 99% of Warnock's post-game comments have been "they were a bit too good for us today, my lads are honest, listen to those fans." There have been flash moments, like Ralls' tackle against Spurs, but I'd say it was rare this season for Warnock to speak about the ref before anyone else.

I wonder if his comment about first goal was the strange use of advantage? Sure, we should have re-organised given how much time there was between Murphy being fouled and their goal but, unless ref was indicating no foul, cannot see how Murphy was in a position to gain advantage or what advantage he did gain in order for it not to be pulled back.
    No, actually, because as you say his standard answer this season has been 'great group of lads' etc etc which I don't mind but I can understand may grate on people after a while (I don't know what else he is supposed to say as he is right!)

But immediately talking about the ref in a game where I didn't notice ANY contentious decisions seemed weird; almost as if he was reverting to his stereotype.

He has been really good at talking about the positives so far, in what is a difficult season.

The media put out and what they like to suit their own agenda and edit interviews to suit.

I posted something in another thread yesterday about what Mark Halsey (experienced referee) said on the radio and Warnock was vindicated.
    He was explaining that the guy wasn't good enough to ref in the PL at the start of the season but now all of a sudden he is and he's given to us.

Anyway Deeney deserved a yellow card no question in my mind.

"Warnock also went on about Deeney's challenge on Etheridge which again, attracted little attention during the game"....

He’s 70 years old, he’s been blaming referees to distract from his own short comings all of his managerial career, he’s not going to change now.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The media put out and what they like to suit their own agenda and edit interviews to suit.

I posted something in another thread yesterday about what Mark Halsey (experienced referee) said on the radio and Warnock was vindicated.
    He was explaining that the guy wasn't good enough to ref in the PL at the start of the season but now all of a sudden he is and he's given to us.

"Warnock also went on about Deeney's challenge on Etheridge which again, attracted little attention during the game"....
    Well it didn't from where I was standing in the City end, maybe because it was at the far end and also because Etheridge to his credit got up straight away. And the players didn't exactly remonstrate with the ref, and there was little commotion from the people standing around me.

Maybe you had a better view than me?

That part isn't right either I'm afraid.

It was Warnock's interview immediately after the game so the media 'didn't put out what they like' - that is just rubbish.

Well it didn't from where I was standing in the City end, maybe because it was at the far end and also because Etheridge to his credit got up straight away.* And the players didn't exactly remonstrate with the ref, and there was little commotion from the people standing around me.
    Maybe you had a better view than me?
    That part isn't right either I'm afraid.

It was Warnock's interview immediately after the game so the media 'didn't put out what they like' - that is just rubbish.
    Perhaps some misunderstanding here.

I was speaking in general. The media focus on what viewers want to see.
    I know Warnocks interview was immediately after the game but the media choose to show that bit time and again whether it be on MOTD, the main BBC news, sky sports news, goals on Sunday... over anything else that he said and home in on this.

I have already said that maybe NW should choose his battles a bit better, in other words not disagreeing with you, but there were other factors that could be considered before slating Warnock. Factors that don't appear to the naked eye or choose not to be raised, purposely or not, by the media.
    One they had chosen not to mention was the fact that he had been refused refereeing the PL, until our game. I think NW had a valid case for bringing that up and top referee Mark Halsey was sympathetic.

I too watched the game live and have seen the incident quite a few times since.
    Many people saw the Deeney challenge as a yellow card too.
    Your point of "none of our players remonstrated with the referee"...
    We are too bloody nice to say anything to anyone. Gunnar was the only one who had a word with Deeney but Sol did little apart from tap him on the back.
    We are either too honest or too naive.
    I think is why Neil felt he had to say something himself, in frustration with not just the officials but with his players.

It could be that I got your back up somewhat BD, judging from your posting two threads on the same subject in reply to my reply to your OP.
    Okay the facepalm might have been a bit flippant.

I had though already contributed to a few threads on the subject and thought that the Warnock-bashing had stopped.
    I took your post to be pretty unnecessary, posting it 2 days after the event and the fact that it had been debated quite a few times already.

Warnock is not going to be seen in a good light any time soon by anybody outside of CCFC or his own family.

He needs all the support he can get.

Perhaps some misunderstanding here.

I was speaking in general. The media focus on what viewers want to see.
    I know Warnocks interview was immediately after the game but the media choose to show that bit time and again whether it be on MOTD, the main BBC news, sky sports news, goals on Sunday... over anything else that he said and home in on this.

I have already said that maybe NW should choose his battles a bit better, in other words not disagreeing with you, but there were other factors that could be considered before slating Warnock. Factors that don't appear to the naked eye or choose not to be raised, purposely or not, by the media.
    One they had chosen not to mention was the fact that he had been refused refereeing the PL, until our game. I think NW had a valid case for bringing that up and top referee Mark Halsey was sympathetic.

I too watched the game live and have seen the incident quite a few times since.
    Many people saw the Deeney challenge as a yellow card too.
    Your point of "none of our players remonstrated with the referee"...
    We are too bloody nice to say anything to anyone. Gunnar was the only one who had a word with Deeney but Sol did little apart from tap him on the back.
    We are either too honest or too naive.
    I think is why Neil felt he had to say something himself, in frustration with not just the officials but with his players.

It could be that I got your back up somewhat BD, judging from your posting two threads on the same subject in reply to my reply to your OP.
    Okay the facepalm might have been a bit flippant.

I had though already contributed to a few threads on the subject and thought that the Warnock-bashing had stopped.
    I took your post to be pretty unnecessary, posting it 2 days after the event and the fact that it had been debated quite a few times already.

Warnock is not going to be seen in a good light any time soon by anybody outside of CCFC or his own family.

He needs all the support he can get.
    For a manager of a team that is in the thick of a serious relegation battle, Neil Warnock has had a pretty painless time of things this season. Much of this is down to a sense of realism from City fans in that they understand what an achievement it was to get promoted last season and that, given our budget and relative lack of squad depth, the odds are against us when it comes to staying in the Premier League next season.

This shouldn't mean that our manager is immune from criticism though. For example, after six consecutive defeats in matches where we have basically gone out set up to try and get a 0-0 draw, there have been calls for a different approach to be tried - I'd hardly call that "Warnock bashing". Similarly, I'm pleased to see I wasn't the only City fan who was disappointed when they heard our manager going on after Saturday's match as if having a ref officiating his first Premier League fixture of the season was a reason for a defeat in which his team had been completely outplayed for about eighty five per cent of the time. Also, Neil Warnock's criticism of Troy Deenney's challenge almost felt like it was something our manager believed he had to say because it's the sort of thing he comes out with after his team have been beaten - I've no strong feelings either way on the challenge because, like the referee, it had little effect on the outcome of the game.