+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rio Ferdinand / Ninian Park

Rio Ferdinand / Ninian Park

I'm sure it's brought up occasionally, but didn't Ferdinand compare Ninian Park and our fans to going to one of the Turkish teams in his autobiography ? I hope its battering down with rain this saturday, absolutely freezing cold, I hope the entire stadium is just vicious to the united players (within reason). Make it hell.

Re: Rio Ferdinand / Ninian Park

Everyone goes to the pub for midday and the atmosphere will be fantastic

Pity we don't play at NP anymore

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Pity we don't play at NP anymore
    Please tell me you’re joking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Please tell me you’re joking!!!
    I think he means in the context of it being an intimidating place that afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think he means in the context of it being an intimidating place that afternoon.
    I know but I’m looking at today’s rain, last Saturday’s rain & the Saturday before and a cold shiver ran down my spine at the thought of the shithole that Ninian Park became in latter years.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's exactly what I meant. My bones are too old these days for standing on the Bob bank terrace in the cold.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Do you remember when he was receiving treatment by the canton stand goal prior to going off.

I dragged my boy down and stood as close as I could get. I told my boy to remember this moment for ever because that’s the closest we’ll ever get to £18 million quid

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Do you remember when he was receiving treatment by the canton stand goal prior to going off.

I dragged my boy down and stood as close as I could get. I told my boy to remember this moment for ever because that’s the closest we’ll ever get to £18 million quid
    And now we’re in the Premier League😂😂😂

Just found a dodgy copy of Rio autobiography online and after a quick search the only time Cardiff are mentioned is when he's talking about getting injured.

"A key moment came when I got injured in the first minutes of an FA Cup game against Cardiff. One of their players went over the ball and twisted my ankle. In truth, the damage was done before the match. A few of the lads had sawn Paul Robinson’s shoes in half, and were generally messing around. It was just a stupid bit of banter while we were having a laugh in the changing room. When I got hurt on the field the manager told me it was my own fault. He said: ‘You got injured because you were messing about before.’"

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I'm sure it's brought up occasionally, but didn't Ferdinand compare Ninian Park and our fans to going to one of the Turkish teams in his autobiography ? I hope its battering down with rain this saturday, absolutely freezing cold, I hope the entire stadium is just vicious to the united players (within reason). Make it hell.
    I'm sure he gave an interview where he said the Ninian Park atmosphere was more hostile than even the one he had experienced at Fenerbache or Galatasary

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm sure he gave an interview where he said the Ninian Park atmosphere was more hostile than even the one he had experienced at Fenerbache or Galatasary
    The version I heard was during an interview before playing for Man Utd away to Galatasary he was asked if was worried about the intimidating atmosphere. His answer was "No, I've played at Ninian Park"

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    The version I heard was during an interview before playing for Man Utd away to Galatasary he was asked if was worried about the intimidating atmosphere. His answer was "No, I've played at Ninian Park"
    This is the one I was thinking of. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    That is indeed the line he used, i have a copy of the paper ( in my mums house ) I used to keep stuff like that

We have come so far but to be honest, that FA cup game was one of the best,

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We have come so far but to be honest, that FA cup game was one of the best,
    Moments like that are one of the reasons we will always support the City

Moments like that are one of the reasons we will always support the City
    I honestly do not think that day would / could happen again, todays fan / society would never get it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I honestly do not think that day would / could happen again, todays fan / society would never get it
    It was like the perfect storm, Sunday eve wasn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yes, 4pm kick off if memory serves. It was an incredible day, the fans genuinely played their part in that win

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Indeed it was, so of course everyone looked like they had had a few beers, as you hit sloper road, you felt the atmosphere, it felt really aggressive, everyone appeared like they were up for it, it was absolutely magic

Quote Originally Posted by Swbluebird View Post
    Yes, 4pm kick off if memory serves. It was an incredible day, the fans genuinely played their part in that win
    more so than any other game i have ever seen, Leeds just looked like rabbits caught in cars headlights, from the moment they walked on the pitch ( though from the press reports later, it was from the time they tried to walk down sloper road as a BBC intro and were abused as soon as they got off the coach and had to abandon the idea , the BBC had the clever idea after Oleary said they would start and end the FA cup run in cardiff

then it started raining coins and bottles on them as they took throw-ins and they stayed away from the touchline *** I in no way condone that behaviour, it was very very wrong *** but didnt it scare them leeds players

Duberry having to hear the whole ground shout grass at him, what did woodgate think of that

Kavs Goal, what a goal

Durso sending off smith , i actually felt for Durso, He didnt deserve to referee a game like that

Youngs tackle on viduca when he was through on goal, then his goal to win it

I got to add the youtube video of it

look at Scotty's and Leggy's face at the end, it meant the world to them

I did love the 'Hey Lee Bowyer' chant and also the pie that hit him in the head 🙂

I really enjoyed watching that video. It bought back so many memories. I was stood on the Bob Bank with my son and Father In Law. He was in his 70s and more used to sitting in the seats on the Bob Bank. I think he would have sympathised with the Leeds players, he had never experienced an atmosphere like that but he really enjoyed it.