+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Sunderland Til I Die' documentary on Netflix

'Sunderland Til I Die' documentary on Netflix

I'm half way through this and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I think because it seems so much more real than the recent 'All Or Nothing' seemingly airbrushed Manchester City documentary, which I lost interest in after about 4 episodes.

After starting it I realised that it was about last season - and we got promoted! So I have kept an eye out for any references to games against City (they show quite a bit of match footage which is pretty good) and yet surprise, surprise there is nothing so far.

Maybe we'll get a mention later on in the series but it is well worth a watch even just for the excellent David Brent impersonation given by the CEO Martin Bain.

Re: 'Sunderland Til I Die' documentary on Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I'm half way through this and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I think because it seems so much more real than the recent 'All Or Nothing' seemingly airbrushed Manchester City documentary, which I lost interest in after about 4 episodes.

After starting it I realised that it was about last season - and we got promoted! So I have kept an eye out for any references to games against City (they show quite a bit of match footage which is pretty good) and yet surprise, surprise there is nothing so far.

Maybe we'll get a mention later on in the series but it is well worth a watch even just for the excellent David Brent impersonation given by the CEO Martin Bain.
    Spoiler - there's no mention of city

Coleman doesn't come out of it well professionally. He comes across as a nice guy but full of hot air and he's obviously read a pretty rubbish motivational book.

I just think he's a bit dim and he walked into a cluster f uck of a club

I'll be surprised if Martin Bain is ever taken seriously again

And Jonny Williams it is very sad to say has major problems and he looks finished physically (and perhaps mentally)

How do their fans come across? I thought they were the best away fans at the CCS in the PL the last time round. We played them on the Saturday between Christmas and New Year (David Kerslake in charge!) in a 5.30pm tv game. They brought a lot of fans and sang all game, even though they were bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    How do their fans come across? I thought they were the best away fans at the CCS in the PL the last time round. We played them on the Saturday between Christmas and New Year (David Kerslake in charge!) in a 5.30pm tv game. They brought a lot of fans and sang all game, even though they were bottom.
    Sparse, continuously saying they're real fans, self righteous, realistic, using "working class" as a badge. Basically typical fans with a sad belief in the rightful position of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Seemingly very passionate, but very quick to turn on the team when things go wrong, which I always found a really strange contradiction.

Btw, I always remember Sunderland coming to NP and their fans taking up the entire Grange End (sans roof admittedly) in what must have been the 1976/76 season, when they won the old second Division - I don't ever remember seeing that before or after.

It was quite a sight.

The other thing to mention is that Jack Rodwell comes out of the programme really badly for deciding to see out the remainder of his 70k a week contract, which the club think that he should just tear up as they can no longer afford it. Which happens ALL the time in real business situations of course.

Seemingly very passionate, but very quick to turn on the team when things go wrong, which I always found a really strange contradiction.

Btw, I always remember Sunderland coming to NP and their fans taking up the entire Grange End (sans roof admittedly) in what must have been the 1976/76 season, when they won the old second Division - I don't ever remember seeing that before or after.

It was quite a sight.

The other thing to mention is that Jack Rodwell comes out of the programme really badly for deciding to see out the remainder of his 70k a week contract, which the club think that he should just tear up as they can no longer afford it.
    Think you probably mean 79/80 when Sunderland came down here for what was our last match of that season and, basically, had all of the ground to themselves except for the Bob Bank - it was also the first match I can remember where the kick off was delayed because there were still so many outside the ground trying to get in.

I felt sorry for some of the supporters working for the club who were so upset following Sunderland's relegation, but there were also those who attacked one of the cameramen filming for the series when they were 3-0 down at Bristol City (in a match they ended up drawing 3-3) who don't deserve what's looking increasingly like a promotion back to the Championship this season.

I wouldn't be too critical of Chris Coleman, both he and Simon Grayson were hamstrung by a lack of money - having watched that series and seen how the club was being run, I think far better managers than those two would have really struggled to keep Sunderland up.

I thought Coleman came across ok other than McGeady slagging him for not bollocking them after they lost.

I work with 2 Sunderland fans who were gutted that he got let go too.

I think the fault there was way above the manager really. Such an interesting doc though, I think the fact it was a relegation season made it much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I thought Coleman came across ok other than McGeady slagging him for not bollocking them after they lost.

I work with 2 Sunderland fans who were gutted that he got let go too.

I think the fault there was way above the manager really. Such an interesting doc though, I think the fact it was a relegation season made it much more interesting.
    Yes, McGeady looked particularly shifty when criticising Coleman.

Wonder what that fan said to Coleman after his last game , he then called him a prick as he walked away and Coleman went to confront him , disappointing they didnt go in the changing rooms before and after games as man city did in their fly on the wall doc

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    Wonder what that fan said to Coleman after his last game , he then called him a prick as he walked away and Coleman went to confront him , disappointing they didnt go in the changing rooms before and after games as man city did in their fly on the wall doc
    I rewound that part and put the subtitles on

I wonder if Man City would have let the cameras in in they were fighting relegation? But you are right, that would have been REALLY interesting!

I rewound that part and put the subtitles on

I wonder if Man City would have let the cameras in in they were fighting relegation? But you are right, that would have been REALLY interesting!
    Man City's was a club PR exercise. Sunderland's was done by someone external to the club.

"passionate fans". Probably the worst two words the owners of a football club can hear. The initial episodes were full of CEO and management telling us how they deserve so much better, etc, and nearly had nervous breakdowns trying to give it to them. Owners put in nett £180 million, they had 10 yrs in the Prem, and for some reason they think a grotty outpost in the North East has a divine right to be there.

Probably most are level headed and put their football in context with the rest of their lives, but came across as viscous, nasty, and rather depressing..

I work with a Sunderland fan who is a very nice bloke, they've had a lot of bad bad bad signings. I haven't seen the Netflix show but I will.

Newcastle fans have a number of songs about them, but at least they aren't monkey hangers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-0OH2yK98

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    I work with a Sunderland fan who is a very nice bloke, they've had a lot of bad bad bad signings. I haven't seen the Netflix show but I will.

Newcastle fans have a number of songs about them, but at least they aren't monkey hangers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-0OH2yK98
    Love the “you get a hot dog sausage in a burger bun” ����

Just watching now. Much more interesting than the Man City doc.

Can’t believe Rodwell wasn’t chucked in the starting line up despite his contract issues

It was quite a sight.

The other thing to mention is that Jack Rodwell comes out of the programme really badly for deciding to see out the remainder of his 70k a week contract, which the club think that he should just tear up as they can no longer afford it. Which happens ALL the time in real business situations of course.
    I'll always remember them booing the John Charles one minute silence

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'll always remember them booing the John Charles one minute silence
    As I said, a nasty bunch. Seem to remember the booing energised fans and players alike and we stuffed them 4-1 [?]

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    As I said, a nasty bunch. Seem to remember the booing energised fans and players alike and we stuffed them 4-1 [?]
    I think it was 4-0 but you're probably right. I found it a bit bizarre even at the time. I know our fans were fr from being angels but I just didn't get that

Really is amazing to see some of the behind the scenes activity. I was floored when he was meeting with the scouting department how out of touch everyone seemed. Was pretty funny when his target list had Zlatan on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Man City's was a club PR exercise. Sunderland's was done by someone external to the club.
    Man city's is one of a series. The others have followed nfl teams and have been excellent-the cardinals one in particular. I've not seen and won't see the man City one but the nfl ones are really good telly.

If it was a club PR exercise they have an excellent PR team. Great viewing.

The Sunderland one is also good but if you choose a basket case of a club to focus on then you’re bound to get good television.

Sunderland are so badly run that they were prepared to make themselves look utterly pathetic. They achieved that in spades.

They were booing and cursing early on in the season as well, before they were in trouble. Petulant fans. CEO is very David Brent-ish. Enjoying it though. Coleman has just took over and has won his first two games. It’s all about to fall apart again.

Great series.

Apart from the entertainment- it left me really wanting to go for a pint with jonny williams and just tell him how amazing he is. And then text him when home saying it again, and again in the morning.

You will understand why when you have seen it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Great series.

Apart from the entertainment- it left me really wanting to go for a pint with jonny williams and just tell him how amazing he is. And then text him when home saying it again, and again in the morning.

You will understand why when you have seen it all.
    Yes fair play to him/the producers for keeping that part in. Very insightful.

And what a nice chap he seems too.

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    Finally got around to watching this. What confused me about the fan calling Coleman a prick was that the latter replied, "You calling me a prick? I'm a married man with six kids." The fan was a tool but I thought it was an odd reply. Quite enjoyed the series; was made a little funnier by some of their fans taking things way too seriously and knowing what they were heading for.

Also recommended is an episode of "Losers" featuring Torquay United in the late 80s, partly for the reminder of lower league football in those days.