+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Pilkington

Anthony Pilkington

I'm not one to be itk and break news, but he is set for a move up north in January.

Wigan and Bolton are his two choices.

Re: Anthony Pilkington

Bolton haven’t got a pot to piss in, the chairman paid the players wages last week out of his own pocket

Been a good servant to us. Never quite knew his best position but I liked his attitude. Good luck with the next club.

He was one shining light in what was a rather dour time under OGS, Slade and Trollope football wise.
    Definitely won’t forget the goals against Sheffield Utd last season and Bristol away season before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    He was one shining light in what was a rather dour time under OGS, Slade and Trollope football wise.
    Definitely won’t forget the goals against Sheffield Utd last season and Bristol away season before.
    Burgstaller has done really well since his brief spell with us (55 goals in 127 games in the Bundesliga).

Why would Wigan want both Madine & Pilkington? Madine will cost a transfer but Pilks a high wage. Perhaps they want Madine on a loan & Pilks on a free!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Why would Wigan want both Madine & Pilkington? Madine will cost a transfer but Pilks a high wage. Perhaps they want Madine on a loan & Pilks on a free!
    I’m sure the reports were a loan deal for Madine.
    I doubt Wigan could afford the full wages of either player

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Bolton haven’t got a pot to piss in, the chairman paid the players wages last week out of his own pocket
    They've pissed away the 5 million Eddie Davies gave them in August, they're bleeding at he rate of around £400k per week. Serious financial issues

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    When is Pilkington's contract up? If it's anytime soon then he wont be able to ask for a high salary.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    When is Pilkington's contract up? If it's anytime soon then he wont be able to ask for a high salary.
    End of this season. Expect he'll go on a free.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    End of this season. Expect he'll go on a free.
    So have no reason to demand a high salary

Always liked the lads application and willingness to play where asked. Along with Connolly good professionals, (Tomlin ,take note ).
    Still think he could have done some useful bench and back up time to Patterson this year, if he'd been in the 25, instead of Madine .

Rumour has it he's on 40K per week. We have been trying to offload him for years, ever since the high wage earners clearout post-Solskaer (which seems a very long time ago!).
    I can only think that he has been looked upon as a massive drain on the club and relations have completely broken down.

He was key to our promotion in the run-in last year, looled after himself until called upon (again Tomlin take note) and when he finally does leave the club, Pilkington will be held in high regard.

So have no reason to demand a high salary
    He'll want parity with what he's on now for the last 6 months of his deal with us. That was his last big contract.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Rumour has it he's on 40K per week.
    I don't believe that for a moment, he signed a new contract under Trollope, when everyone was getting sold. He might be a high earner but 40k?

He is not on £40k a week, far from it, he did turn down a loan deal in the summer, so he could keep on the wages we were paying him, cannot blame him for that, his attitude has always been spot on

Im guessing he will go in the last week of the transfer window when the club and pilks agree to a pay off.
    He will be free then to negotiate with any club as he is a free transfer and out of contract.
    Probably would have played a few games if the squad was not limited to 25 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    He is not on £40k a week, far from it, he did turn down a loan deal in the summer, so he could keep on the wages we were paying him, cannot blame him for that, his attitude has always been spot on
    I thought Fabio and Kenwyne were the last of the big earners from the Solksjaer era? Didn't Bruno take a pay cut when he signed his latest contract?

In hindsight Pilkington would have been a better choice for the 25-man squad than Damour, who is really out of the picture. With our lack of striker options, surely Pilks could have had some game time.

I'm not sure Pilkington is on £40k per week, but he was one of OGS' big signings when we were throwing money way. I have heard he's refused to go and will see out his contract, which implies he is on big money. Maybe that's why Warnock left him out of the squad this year as he did well when he played last season. He'll probably run down his contract and have a nasty shock and be unemployed next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    If he was loaned out he'd still get the wages he's on with us wouldn't he?

I'll be sorry to see Pilkington leave as I think he'd be far more effective in the Prem than some of the players we have on the pitch for us.

I understand why he's going though, and I'm just surprised he's got so few choices of destination. I'd have thought there'd be quite a few Championship sides could make use of what he'd bring to the party in the run-in to a tight Championship battle again.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I'll be sorry to see Pilkington leave as I think he'd be far more effective in the Prem than some of the players we have on the pitch for us.

I understand why he's going though, and I'm just surprised he's got so few choices of destination. I'd have thought there'd be quite a few Championship sides could make use of what he'd bring to the party in the run-in to a tight Championship battle again.
    Players in the Champioship are facing a reality check on wages.
    Will still earn very good money on his next move, but the gravy train has stopped for most players.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

He's from Blackburn, so I bet he's wanting to move back to the area. He's 30, he's had his last big contract so may as well get settled somewhere. Good servant to us though.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Rumour has it he's on 40K per week. We have been trying to offload him for years, ever since the high wage earners clearout post-Solskaer (which seems a very long time ago!).
    I can only think that he has been looked upon as a massive drain on the club and relations have completely broken down.

He was key to our promotion in the run-in last year, looled after himself until called upon (again Tomlin take note) and when he finally does leave the club, Pilkington will be held in high regard.
    We haven’t been trying to offload him for years as he was given an extended contract in September 2016 until 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    We haven’t been trying to offload him for years as he was given an extended contract in September 2016 until 2019!
    Well Warnock has been here over 2 years (plural) and he hasn't exactly been a shoe-in to start.

He may not be on 40K as rumoured but he must have been offered a good wedge to stay.

I do have it on good authority though that he was about to go to Blackburn then City signed Madine and the plug got pulled.
    Whether the reason was to get more money for him in order to fund the buying of Madine or not is not clear but it is clear that he has rarely featured since.