+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gatwick airport at a standstill

Gatwick airport at a standstill

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

Beggars belief how something like a mischievous person can bring an airport to its knees in this day and age, apparently the latest is that they are trying to find out who the perpetrators are.

Without knowing the ins and outs of drones, couldn't one of the many security guys just shoot the thing down?

Re: Gatwick airport at a standstill

I have been wondering about this since drones came about, terrorists could surely use them? Load them with a bomb and fly them wherever? What has happened to all the terrorists too? Apart from that recent one in Strasbourg noth8ng for ages.

Eight Gatwick bound planes diverted to Rhoose . Not sure if they keep the passengers on board as there would be limited room at the Airport unless they bussed them to Barry where they would find plenty of accommodating hosts

Gatwick chief operating officer Chris Woodroofe said: "The police are looking for the operator and that is the way to disable the drone." He said police had not wanted to shoot the devices down because of the risk from stray bullets.
    Drones are controlled by WiFi signals, are they saying there isn't any technology available to protect our airports?

20 police units involved in hunting down the operator.
    This morning the security officer from Gatwick stated it was a large scale drone, industrial in size.
    They must have a hell of a battery on their unit as it had been flying stop start around the airport since 7 last night.
    The offenders when caught will be looking at 5 years at her majesties pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    20 police units involved in hunting down the operator.
    This morning the security officer from Gatwick stated it was a large scale drone, industrial in size.
    They must have a hell of a battery on their unit as it had been flying stop start around the airport since 7 last night.
    The offenders when caught will be looking at 5 years at her majesties pleasure.
    That maximum 5 year will get looked at now. Plus a full ban on drones.

It should be shot down and runways cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post
    That maximum 5 year will get looked at now. Plus a full ban on drones.

It should be shot down and runways cleared.
    What if it was a dirty bomb? Not sure if this is possible or would be a danger, just imagining they wouldn't shoot it down because they don't know what they are shooting down.

If CTU was about Chloe O'Brian would have intercepted the wi-fi signal and taken it down at 21:56.

russia.will eventually be blamed by government and fake news media

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

Beggars belief how something like a mischievous person can bring an airport to its knees in this day and age, apparently the latest is that they are trying to find out who the perpetrators are.

Without knowing the ins and outs of drones, couldn't one of the many security guys just shoot the thing down?
    My cousin is currently at Gatwick waiting to get away for the holiday period, info coming out from the airport is abysmal, this is usual for airports, they have been allowed to keep passengers in the dark a standard procedure, if anyone has seen the footage available on Twitter, this is obviously a cover up by the establishment, BBC interviewed Gatwick head honcho this morning, he stated the police couldn't shoot them down because they could not control where the bullets went, who said UFO's ?

Colleague due to fly out to Florida this morning for Christmas with her young family. Flight cancelled already on her way back home (Worcester) the insurance advice seems to be it's an extraordinary event therefore no insurance cover / pay out.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Colleague due to fly out to Florida this morning for Christmas with her young family. Flight cancelled already on her way back home (Worcester) the insurance advice seems to be it's an extraordinary event therefore no insurance cover / pay out.
    Talk about rubbing salt into the wounds.
    Disgusting.

Man on the moon, heart transplants, oil from the bottom of the sea bed, Nuclear power, weapons, it goes on and on and on, but cannot cope with some Drones that the eye could see ?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Talk about rubbing salt into the wounds.
    Disgusting.
    Declared "extraordinary situation", therefore no extra compensation will be paid. I got the context wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Man on the moon, heart transplants, oil from the bottom of the sea bed, Nuclear power, weapons, it goes on and on and on, but cannot cope with some Drones that the eye could see ?
    Hasnt it become rooted in our culture though?
    No fecker wanting to make a decision and feck the masses.

(I'm gonna leave it there as it will get political)

Is it time to ban drones?

Christmas. Another season spoiled by drones

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    That is genius Sir!

Am I being naive here but shouldn't it be a matter of discovering what frequency the radio signals are being used by these idiots to control their drone and either jam it or take over control of it? Surely we have the technology to do this in 2018? Alternatively fly another drone into it and destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Am I being naive here but shouldn't it be a matter of discovering what frequency the radio signals are being used by these idiots to control their drone and either jam it or take over control of it? Surely we have the technology to do this in 2018? Alternatively fly another drone into it and destroy it.
    Or shoot the thing out of the air. There's obviously more to this than meets the eye. And to think that UK airspace could be brought to a standstill if a group of ne'er do wells simultaneously targeted all the main airports....

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Can't jam it if the drone is pre-programmed. Flying another drone into it ( or them ) sounds like an interesting proposition but could result in collateral damage. Tests have already been carried out with nets to bring down drones and using lasers to overheat onboard batteries and bring them down that way. Its like an aerial version of Robot Wars as far as the technology to defend against drone attacks is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Can't jam it if the drone is pre-programmed. Flying another drone into it ( or them ) sounds like an interesting proposition but could result in collateral damage. Tests have already been carried out with nets to bring down drones and using lasers to overheat onboard batteries and bring them down that way. Its like an aerial version of Robot Wars as far as the technology to defend against drone attacks is concerned.
    Drone is still flying and now the army have been called in?#
    Disruption will continue into weekend, im guessing this will cause delays at all airports across Europe as planes will no longer be where they are supposed to be, linked with pilots as well this will be catastrophic.
    Surely this must have been pre planned, could it be terror related?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Declared "extraordinary situation", therefore no extra compensation will be paid. I got the context wrong.
    That has to be the ultimate pi$$take

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Nuclear weapons but nothing we can do about a baseball bat in the kisser.
    GPS but I can't find where I put my car keys.
    Brain surgery but I still don't understand Bitcoin.
    Mobile phones but I rarely speak on mine.
    Years of experience in many fields but I still don't have a clue.

:tbg:

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    Drone is still flying and now the army have been called in?
    Are the batteries using some kind of alien technolgy?