+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theresa May to oversee £85m in cuts to public health budgets

Re: Theresa May to oversee £85m in cuts to public health budgets

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Who is saying fund it like a bottomless pit, why do you always get hysterical?

Once again, you can't compare government spending decisions to household spending decisions. You should probably go and Google it rather than continue to look silly.
    Where's your balanced view then on managing a very difficult over burden service, that most realise it's not the same beast introduced many years ago to provide health for those who could not really afford it ,unlike today ,where its abused by some, because it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Where's your balanced view then on managing a very difficult over burden service, that most realise it's not the same beast introduced many years ago to provide health for those who could not really afford it ,unlike today ,where its abused by some, because it's free.
    Fund it to the level of other major economies to stop this ridiculous lurch from crisis to crisis and then the country needs to decide what it wants and how it wants to pay for it.

Something getting abused isn't a reason to stop doing it altogether. When that dick ran people over on Westminster bridge did you campaign to ban the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    With the nation's finances in such a perilous state I support these measures. Spending on the NHS is a huge drag on the economy. Much of it is due to people living longer. UK life expectancy is at 81 years. Another mammoth expense is the State Pension. For a female of that age they have had 21 years of greedily stuffing that benefit into their purse, while a male has been collecting for 16 years. A great many of them are also pocketing a separate public sector pension too. Those characters simply refuse to snuff it. Former teachers are the worst culprits; those utter bastards often cling to life until their mid-90s.

Anyone who has viewed a Post Office queue five minutes before opening time will know it's formed by oldies all on pins to lay their avaricious mitts on yet more public money. Appealing to a sense of patriotism they may possess by imploring them to hurl themselves from tall buildings will flounder because they don't give a brace and bit about the national debt heading for two trillion quid. Up the State Pension qualifying age to 70. Place those who reach 72 in front of a firing squad.
    Alternatively might not many of these avaricious old bastards that you describe have diligently spent some of their income by paying into a private pension fund for all their working life rather than spending said cash on beer, fags and gambling? Maybe it's no coincidence that whilst I am 71, in good health, still actively involved in various charities, take no regular medication, and rarely visit the doctor apart from an annual "MOT" I happen to be one of the former category. And no, I am not a teacher and I do not have any kind of gold-plated final salary type pension scheme. In fact my pension pot is taking a hammering at the moment thanks to the antics of Mr. Trump, the Chinese and uncertainty over BREXIT!

Just realised I have less than one year left before I am due to face your firing squad. Better cancel my annual MOT, wouldn't want to waste more NHS time.

Fund it to the level of other major economies to stop this ridiculous lurch from crisis to crisis and then the country needs to decide what it wants and how it wants to pay for it.

Something getting abused isn't a reason to stop doing it altogether. When that dick ran people over on Westminster bridge did you campaign to ban the car?
    I'm not aware of any dicks being ran over , but if a person was run over, I'd show them some sympathy and respect , by not calling them a dick . Comparing that incident to a four billion budget service doesnt really stack up .

One should fund it appropriately not indiscriminately , to ensure the taxpayer gets its value for money,its not a bottomless pit .

Since 2010 the NHS has grown year on year by 1%, however that's not enough ,so yes more money is needed but controls to ensure that money is best used is appropriate ,no controls , drives waste and no accountability and abuse.

I'm not aware of any dicks being ran over , but if a person was run over, I'd show them some sympathy and respect , by not calling them a dick . Comparing that incident to a four billion budget service doesnt really stack up .

One should fund it appropriately not indiscriminately , to ensure the taxpayer gets its value for money,its not a bottomless pit .

Since 2010 the NHS has grown year on year by 1%, however that's not enough ,so yes more money is needed but controls to ensure that money is best used is appropriate ,no controls , drives waste and no accountability and abuse.
    How did you get any of that from what I wrote? Try again

How did you get any of that from what I wrote? Try again
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-1bn-last-year

That’s only just over three weeks of the Brexit dividend so that’s not too much to worry about.

1.2 billion spending idea.
    Domestic violence and abuse cost the UK an estimated £15.7 billion in. 2008 (Walby 2009). ... term savings for a range of organisations, including the NHS and criminal justice system.

9 ways to counteract the Evil Maybot savings :
    Nine ways to save the NHS – by healthcare professionals

https://www.theguardian.com/healthca...y_to_clipboard

The group, which includes the chairs of the British Medical Association and the Academy of Medical Royal colleges, said the NHS spent £1.7bn on negligence claims last year and the annual cost has doubled since 2010/11.

They added that the estimated total liabilities, which is the cost if all current claims are successful, stands at £65bn, up from £29bn in 2014-15.

1.2 billion spending idea.
    Domestic violence and abuse cost the UK an estimated £15.7 billion in. 2008 (Walby 2009). ... term savings for a range of organisations, including the NHS and criminal justice system.
    Add to that the £3.5 billion each year that alcohol abuse costs the NHS and about 70% of that cost falls on hospitals.

What an appalling set of statistics. Remember that when someone you know is denied some particular cancer treatment because it is too expensive.

No I mean this bit:

How did you get this?

I'm not aware of any dicks being ran over , but if a person was run over, I'd show them some sympathy and respect , by not calling them a dick

Todays Guardian:
    Smoking and drinking costs the NHS 6
    billion annyally , the NHS will now invest
    £ 183 million to help smokers.

Whose paying for all this ??

The thread was started on the basis of cost cutting.

Todays Guardian:
    Smoking and drinking costs the NHS 6
    billion annyally , the NHS will now invest
    £ 183 million to help smokers.

Whose paying for all this ??

The thread was started on the basis of cost cutting.
    I think the reason no one else is here anymore is because they don't understand what point you are trying to make

I think the reason no one else is here anymore is because they don't understand what point you are trying to make
    To be honest other than you and a few others , no one is bothered with the politics talking bollocks board anyway, but I'm sure you got the thrust of the posts and wastage in the NHS ,
    which is over and above the underfunding issue, but hey, let's hide away from that and just use the NHS as a political football ,bugger the real issues and folk affected by the abuses going on in the NHS ,those nuts are way too tough to crack , ,much easier to blame someone else, and turn a blind eye.

To be honest other than you and a few others , no one is bothered with the politics talking bollocks board anyway, but I'm sure you got the thrust of the posts and wastage in the NHS ,
    which is over and above the underfunding issue, but hey, let's hide away from that and just use the NHS as a political football ,bugger the real issues and folk affected by the abuses going on in the NHS ,those nuts are way too tough to crack , much easier to blame someone else, and turn a blind eye.
    The things you cited aren't waste (except health tourism, but how you tackle that without denying treatment to 000's of genuine people I don't know - maybe you can tell me), they are problems within society which have an effect on the health budget. A drunk isn't any more culpable for their poor choices than a motorbike rider who smashes into a lamppost. What are your solutions? it seems like you doing exactly the bold text above and blaming everyone else.

My point is simple, we spend 20-25 percent less per person when compared with quite a few similar countries within Europe. It does affect outcomes and if we want to stop staggering from winter crisis to winter crisis then this should be addressed. You have this mangled view of the public sector that we all love wasting money (and we wouldn't possibly be trying to tackle it ALREADY), to anyone with 1/4 of a brain its a load of bollocks and certainly an insult to those working hard in healthcare, policing and all other vital jobs that are performed on your behalf.

The things you cited aren't waste (except health tourism, but how you tackle that without denying treatment to 000's of genuine people I don't know - maybe you can tell me), they are problems within society which have an effect on the health budget. A drunk isn't any more culpable for their poor choices than a motorbike rider who smashes into a lamppost. What are your solutions? it seems like you doing exactly the bold text above and blaming everyone else.

My point is simple, we spend 20-25 percent less per person when compared with quite a few similar countries within Europe. It does affect outcomes and if we want to stop staggering from winter crisis to winter crisis then this should be addressed. You have this mangled view of the public sector that we all love wasting money (and we wouldn't possibly be trying to tackle it ALREADY), to anyone with 1/4 of a brain its a load of bollocks and certainly an insult to those working hard in healthcare, policing and all other vital jobs that are performed on your behalf.
    Its impossible to match the NHS with other European countries the main elements are there, but it’s a different image. There are vast differences with thier organisational structures, and how they administer their insurance’ system .

For example French citizens sign up for extra mutual insurance to top thier health .

Almost all dentists in Belgium are private.

Sweden which many applaud does not provide all treatment free at the point of access .GP visits are also charged for .

Germans pay extra though wages ,the unemployed are funded separately though a form of seperate social fund.

Across Europe theirs a bigger mix of state, private, mutual and friendly societies hospitals, many variations in funding ,many pay extra .

Anyone with a 1/3 of a brain would know you cannot match these health services.

Perhaps the generosity of our NHS is the reason why ther is health tourism ,what is pretty clear other European countries fund differently, and professionally. They dont simply bung money at it for the sake of it, its managed more efficiently and not used as an attempt to gain political browny points.

Its impossible to match the NHS with other European countries the main elements are there, but it’s a different image. There are vast differences with thier organisational structures, and how they administer their insurance’ system .

For example French citizens sign up for extra mutual insurance to top thier health .

Almost all dentists in Belgium are private.

Sweden which many applaud does not provide all treatment free at the point of access .GP visits are also charged for .

Germans pay extra though wages ,the unemployed are funded separately though a form of seperate social fund.

Across Europe theirs a bigger mix of state, private, mutual and friendly societies hospitals, many variations in funding ,many pay extra .

Anyone with a 1/3 of a brain would know you cannot match these health services.

Perhaps the generosity of our NHS is the reason why ther is health tourism ,what is pretty clear other European countries fund differently, and professionally. They dont simply bung money at it for the sake of it, its managed more efficiently and not used as an attempt to gain political browny points.
    Yes they pay extra, exactly what I'm bloody suggesting. I am not saying deliver the extra in a wheelbarrow to each hospital and say 'spend it how you like', obviously you try to spend any increase in funding as efficiently as possible. Where did you think I was proposing to get the money from? Theresa May's own stash?

You seem to want richer people to pay a bit more for healthcare but you don't want to call it increased funding?

You need to quit the obsession with health tourism, even in the article you cited the context was that it was a very small issue.

Would there need to be any cuts if a small fraction of the £3.5 billion alcohol abuse related costs could be cut? £85 million is just 2.5% of £3.5 billion! It is a national disgrace that billions of £s are wasted the way they are. It's quite handy to deflect the blame onto health tourism as this appeals to Daily Mail and Sun readers and conveniently sidesteps the real problem.

I wonder what it costs the NHS to treat motorbike riders who have crashed into lamp-posts compared to the costs associated with alcohol abuse and domestic violence?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I wonder what it costs the NHS to treat motorbike riders who have crashed into lamp-posts compared to the costs associated with alcohol abuse and domestic violence?
    It is probably less but the point is that everything is an unnecessary risk to someone - 'You mean you didn't cross at the crossing, well sorry sir but you will need to pay for treatment'.

It is probably less but the point is that everything is an unnecessary risk to someone - 'You mean you didn't cross at the crossing, well sorry sir but you will need to pay for treatment'.

2% of GDP is spent on "defence". Scrap the army.

Obiesty now costing NHS 6bn a year, all May's fault dreadful ,dreadful..