+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

I have been watching City since 1964 and tonight I saw the most inexplicable refereeing decision that I have ever seen. Josh Murphy was caught offside upfield about 15 metres into the Utd half and the referee blew up and gave the free kick. He then let Ashley Young take the kick about 15 metres inside Citys half and waived play on when our players complained. There is no reasonable explanation for this other than bias or incompetence (or both). Utd could easily have scored from it. He should be severely censured by the Referees Association and Premier League for this. Not the only bad decision by him and his linesman during the game either. He then compounded all this in the second half when he blew up because we took a free kick about 3 metres from the correct place and made us take it again.

Re: Michael Oliver

Learn the new offside rule and you realise Micheal Oliver was correct!

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I have been watching City since 1964 and tonight I saw the most inexplicable refereeing decision that I have ever seen. Josh Murphy was caught offside upfield about 15 metres into the Utd half and the referee blew up and gave the free kick. He then let Ashley Young take the kick about 15 metres inside Citys half and waived play on when our players complained. There is no reasonable explanation for this other than bias or incompetence (or both). Utd could easily have scored from it. He should be severely censured by the Referees Association and Premier League for this. Not the only bad decision by him and his linesman during the game either. He then compounded all this in the second half when he blew up because we took a free kick about 3 metres from the correct place and made us take it again.
    I think he had a Manure shirt on

Quote Originally Posted by Pug View Post
    So if you are off side you take the free kick where you want to

Apparently so.

I think we felt their first goal came from a soft free-kick and that there was high boot into Zohore's head and Cunningham(?) being shoulder charged by Man United winger with neither Man United player facing s sanction. Don't think he had the best game even if it really didn't impact on the result.

I didn’t think you can be offside 15 yards inside your own half?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    I didn’t think you can be offside 15 yards inside your own half?
    Was he offside when the ball was played forward, but received the ball in his own half?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Was he offside when the ball was played forward, but received the ball in his own half?
    Yes. No argument he was offside. But I always thought the free kick would be taken from roughly where the flag was for the offside?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yes. No argument he was offside. But I always thought the free kick would be taken from roughly where the flag was for the offside?
    Ignore that. I’ve just read up myself- Oliver was right.

Pogba going through the back of Hoilett and not even getting booked was just baffling

Don't be silly an offside decision whichever rules you are referring to, means that a free kick should be taken where the player is offside not where he receives the ball.

I’m afraid Pug appears to be correct, having read through the rule on it. He was offside in their half when the ball was played but actually received the ball in our half.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I’m afraid Pug appears to be correct, having read through the rule on it. He was offside in their half when the ball was played but actually received the ball in our half.
    Yeah just read the same.
    Doubt he was as far in as where the free kick was taken from though

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Yeah just read the same.
    Doubt he was as far in as where the free kick was taken from though
    I'm shocked by this thread & didn't realise the "new" law. It wasn't far off Tim, Josh was a good 5m inside his own half.

Bloody good ref ???then yes or no ??? ,one things for sure they are better than last years useful idiots.

Astute and profound

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Midget View Post
    Astute and profound
    And wrong seemingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'm shocked by this thread & didn't realise the "new" law. It wasn't far off Tim, Josh was a good 5m inside his own half.
    Yeah, the free kick was then taken 10m + inside ours.

However that was indicative of them being allowed to do whatever they wanted.
    It was ‘pick your spot’ for throw ins too

I posted earlier that the offside decision was wrong, I must admit that I was wrong,
    when the ball was played forward Murphy was in an offside position but no flag, but then he went into his own half and received the ball therefore was flagged offside as you can be offside in your own half under the rules.

Offences and sanctions

If an offside offense occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offense occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play. the offense occurred in our half as that is where murphy touched the ball after being originally offside in their half

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...w-11---offside

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I posted earlier that the offside decision was wrong, I must admit that I was wrong,
    when the ball was played forward Murphy was in an offside position but no flag, but then he went into his own half and received the ball therefore was flagged offside as you can be offside in your own half under the rules.

Offences and sanctions

If an offside offense occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offense occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play. the offense occurred in our half as that is where murphy touched the ball after being originally offside in their half

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-...w-11---offside
    Well i did not know that change to the rules

Some people need to learn the rules themselves before chastising the referee so it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Some people need to learn the rules themselves before chastising the referee so it seems.
    I thought Oliver was very soft and protected Man Utd at every opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I thought Oliver was very soft and protected Man Utd at every opportunity
    Excuses, excuses, excuses.

We chased shadows all evening, and even Warnock didn’t try and blame the refereee for once we were that badly beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Excuses, excuses, excuses.

We chased shadows all evening, and even Warnock didn’t try and blame the refereee for once we were that badly beaten.
    I don’t think anybody is saying that the referee influenced the result.

There does seem to be some inconsistency in what some refs will blow for compared to others.

Oliver seemed to blow for every strong challenge whereas the lad at Watford let it go.

Perhaps our back room staff need to do some analysis of how to play to the refs in future as we don’t seem to be able to read their interpretations well

A classic CCMB moment.

dml1954 has had an absolute shocker here.