+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Right back

Right back

Of all the positions a right back is the one we most need. That would free Manga to go in the middle and drop Morrison. He may be a leader off the pitch but he's been a pussy on it this season. Looks frightened every time the ball goes anywhere near him!

Re: Right back

If any of the centre half’s need to be dropped it’s Bamba. Another shocker last night.

He has his moments but at least he gives it a go. Morrison looks shit scared and should be dropped until he man's up. Or gender fluids up. Whatever you call it nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    He has his moments but at least he gives it a go. Morrison looks shit scared and should be dropped until he man's up. Or gender fluids up. Whatever you call it nowadays.
    “At least he gives it a go”

Gives what a go? Thinking he’s Messi, fannying around with it out of position?

Bamba needs to be dropped.
    Mistakes against Watford, at fault for three goals yesterday.
    Unfortunately we have no strength in depth.

You'd drop Bamba in front of Morrison?

You'd drop Bamba in front of Morrison?
    I wouldnt drop either. But out of the 2 yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I wouldnt drop either. But out of the 2 yeah.
    Sadly our defence which last season was a strengh and did look like we needed more than a right back to improve keeps being found wanting , with mistakes made and getting punished almost every game.

I am also disappointed with the lack of goals from the set pieces we take, Morrison just doesn’t seem capable of getting a header on target ?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Sadly our defence which last season was a strengh and did look like we needed more than a right back to improve keeps being found wanting , with mistakes made and getting punished almost every game.

I am also disappointed with the lack of goals from the set pieces we take, Morrison just doesn’t seem capable of getting a header on target ?
    True. But again i dont know what we do on the training ground. Every long throw corner free kick. Aim for Morrison. Its not hard to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post

Somebody told me yesterday that Morrison has our most assists. He’s fluffed a number of chances to score this season, bad luck or lack of composure perhaps.

Of all the positions a right back is the one we most need. That would free Manga to go in the middle and drop Morrison. He may be a leader off the pitch but he's been a pussy on it this season. Looks frightened every time the ball goes anywhere near him!
    Totally agree with this, Morrison is sadly out of his depth at this level, surely Patterson can't be that bad at right back he has played the last two games for Scotland in that position. Feel sorry for Bamba at times he attempts to play a bit to much at time but it must be murder to look up and see Gunners & co with their backs to goal no one wanting the ball, This must surely be down to Warnocks hoofball tactics that are wearing a bit thin on me now as we rarely win the second ball up font when its hoofed up top, If your 4-1 down why not try something different and play from the back they wernt bothered about pressing us at the back.

I think theres little doubt that Bamba is making errors due to whats in front of him. He should concentrate on his job though.

True. But again i dont know what we do on the training ground. Every long throw corner free kick. Aim for Morrison. Its not hard to defend.
    This has been winding me up for some time now and why the feck do they play so close to the goal line even if he wins the header there's no more space left to actually put it in any dangerous positions

I think theres little doubt that Bamba is making errors due to whats in front of him. He should concentrate on his job though.

We arent the first club to be too loyal with players but in all honesty we really have lost the plot defensively.
    Bamba is 34 in January and has never played in the prem till now? He is like Bambi on ice. Arms and legs flailing everywhere unbalanced erratic and simply nowhere near good enough. Morrison is too slow and wasnt good enough for Reading in the prem yaers ago so no surprise he isnt for us now? Please if i hear anyone else say drop one the above and play Manga at centre back i will go nuts. He is worse than Bamba and Morro. He ducks out of aerial challenges and gets caught in possession. He went down with us and is deinitely no better now. The number one role of a centre back is to defend your goal properly. Everything else is extra or even a bonus. The three players ive mentioned cannot defend the goal well enough pure and simple. Put them together with full backs who arent prem quality aswell and its a pretty awful situation. We have defenders ducking to avoid being hit by the ball, Cunningham being the lastest yesterday, centre backs diving in and giving needless pens away instead of staying on your feet and defending properly. Morro and others turning sideways as shots come in to avoid geing hit by the ball leading to embarrasing goals. Its just not good enough and unless this is addressed we are going to really struggle

Quote Originally Posted by pulsy View Post
    Totally agree with this, Morrison is sadly out of his depth at this level, surely Patterson can't be that bad at right back he has played the last two games for Scotland in that position. Feel sorry for Bamba at times he attempts to play a bit to much at time but it must be murder to look up and see Gunners & co with their backs to goal no one wanting the ball, This must surely be down to Warnocks hoofball tactics that are wearing a bit thin on me now as we rarely win the second ball up font when its hoofed up top, If your 4-1 down why not try something different and play from the back they wernt bothered about pressing us at the back.
    Thats the frustrating thing teams don't need to press us because they know we'll just lump it up to Paterson who has a 1 Vs 3

Who the hell agreed a new 3 year contract for a nearly 34 year old Bamba. Absolutely crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Who the hell agreed a new 3 year contract for a nearly 34 year old Bamba. Absolutely crazy.
    I did say it at the time but was harranged!!

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    I did say it at the time but was harranged!!
    You usually talk a load of absolute garbage to be fair so the boy who cried wolf and all that.

We arent the first club to be too loyal with players but in all honesty we really have lost the plot defensively.
    Bamba is 34 in January and has never played in the prem till now? He is like Bambi on ice. Arms and legs flailing everywhere unbalanced erratic and simply nowhere near good enough. Morrison is too slow and wasnt good enough for Reading in the prem yaers ago so no surprise he isnt for us now? Please if i hear anyone else say drop one the above and play Manga at centre back i will go nuts. He is worse than Bamba and Morro. He ducks out of aerial challenges and gets caught in possession. He went down with us and is deinitely no better now. The number one role of a centre back is to defend your goal properly. Everything else is extra or even a bonus. The three players ive mentioned cannot defend the goal well enough pure and simple. Put them together with full backs who arent prem quality aswell and its a pretty awful situation. We have defenders ducking to avoid being hit by the ball, Cunningham being the lastest yesterday, centre backs diving in and giving needless pens away instead of staying on your feet and defending properly. Morro and others turning sideways as shots come in to avoid geing hit by the ball leading to embarrasing goals. Its just not good enough and unless this is addressed we are going to really struggle
    Manga wasn't at the club during the last PL season. He was signed in the September, just before OGS was sacked.

Bamba is dreadful at this level. Nice guy but don't let a couple of goals and a big smile blind you

Infuriating why he didn't stick it in the stand at 1-0 down instead of trying to take on ****ing pogba

Morrison and manga from the end of January onwards hopefully

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He was 32 when he signed the new contract.

Heisenberg

. Morrison is too slow and wasnt good enough for Reading in the prem yaers ago so no surprise he isnt for us now?
    Eh? Do you ever think to check whether you're completely full of bollocks before posting? Morrison played 16 PL games for Reading as a 21/22 year old centre back in a team battling relegation... 6 f**king years ago! He scored 2 goals too.

Basically, it has absolutely no bearing on whether he is good enough now.

What is the point of this thread? That none of our defenders are good enough for the Premier league? I think we all suspected that when we came up, the players did an amazing job getting promoted last season and unless we were going to do a Wolves or Fulham and spend £100mio plus ( and it's not working out too well for Fulham is it) then we had to go with the players that got us promoted. It's one thing to debate whether Manga should play right back or centre half but to say we need to drop three of our current back four is a bit silly isn't it, we don't have anyone else

We are struggling defending set pieces which was a real strength last year but I'm pretty sure the delivery in the premier league is a lot better than in the championship. We could certainly do with a new right back, one with premier league experience would be good, then we can experiment with Manga partnering Morrison or Bamba. I didn't get the signing of Cunningham at the time as Bennett was as good a left back in the championship and didn't see the need for another one when we desperately needed a right back as Peltier was always going to struggle with the jump up.

I also think in the last 2 games our centre halves have been exposed even more by players running directly at them straight through the middle of the park and not being picked up by our midfield. A lot of this is probably due to energy levels dropping just a few percent throughout the whole side which was what we were relying on heavily in previous games ( first time this season a Man Utd side has outrun the opposition!)

We also need to shore up the middle in front of the centre halves to stop them being exposed, easier said than done of course

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    What is the point of this thread? That none of our defenders are good enough for the Premier league? I think we all suspected that when we came up, the players did an amazing job getting promoted last season and unless we were going to do a Wolves or Fulham and spend £100mio plus ( and it's not working out too well for Fulham is it) then we had to go with the players that got us promoted. It's one thing to debate whether Manga should play right back or centre half but to say we need to drop three of our current back four is a bit silly isn't it, we don't have anyone else

We are struggling defending set pieces which was a real strength last year but I'm pretty sure the delivery in the premier league is a lot better than in the championship. We could certainly do with a new right back, one with premier league experience would be good, then we can experiment with Manga partnering Morrison or Bamba. I didn't get the signing of Cunningham at the time as Bennett was as good a left back in the championship and didn't see the need for another one when we desperately needed a right back as Peltier was always going to struggle with the jump up.

I also think in the last 2 games our centre halves have been exposed even more by players running directly at them straight through the middle of the park and not being picked up by our midfield. A lot of this is probably due to energy levels dropping just a few percent throughout the whole side which was what we were relying on heavily in previous games ( first time this season a Man Utd side has outrun the opposition!)

We also need to shore up the middle in front of the centre halves to stop them being exposed, easier said than done of course
    What a totally sensible response.

It makes perfect sense that we shore up midfield as that's where many of our defensive frailties seem to stem from.
    Do we do 5 at the back or should we put an extra body 8n front of the back 4. Who would it be?
    Answers on a postcard please.