+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veganism

Veganism

It’s become a thing now

Will it last?

Re: Veganism

My 38 year old brother in law turned veggie about 3 years ago, and in the last 6 months had turned vegan. He’s coming home from London today and we are having a buffet over mine. It’s cost me an extra 10 quid to put something together for him. No one else is costing 10 quid a head!!!

It’s for health reasons apparently even though he still drinks like a fish, and sniffs coke every weekend.

In answer to the original question I believe it’s a hipster thing and hopefully it will phase out when too many people get involved and the hardcore hipsters have to move onto something more pretentious.

I tried it for 4 months with my missus after losing my best mate - Health reasons

In all honesty i quite enjoyed not eating meat ...... In SA Meat is your main food group ..... Just didn't enjoy all the Vegan Cheese - That's the main reason I quit it lol as I Love my cheese too much.

But fair play I have cut right down on my meat intake

I now prefer to eat Quorn products

People have started becoming vegetarians and vegans for other reasons, like sustainability, greenhouse emissions etc

Although I'm sure I've read somewhere that a high percentage of vegetarians eventually return to the meat, but I guess in a meat centric society that might not be surprising.

£10 a head isn't really that extravagant for entertaining is it?

Protecting the planet will hopefully not be just a thing.

Makes a lot of sense environmentally and maybe more people are waking to/giving a shit what the actual process of getting meat onto your plate is. And most importantly in terms of people giving it a go I suppose is that the vegan/veggie options are getting better all the time, Greazy Vegan in Cardiff does a Big Mac which is unreal.

I stopped eating meat a year and a half ago and I'm glad I did, nowhere near ready to go vegan at the moment though.

As a side note it's easy to throw the word hipster at something you don't like or don't understand to try and denigrate it, it's usually the same people that throw the term PC gone mad around like they're getting paid for it.

I think more and more people will go veggie and vegan now we are seeing the effect that large scale meat farming has on the environment. I don’t think I could go full veggie but I’m trying to eat less meat. Eating too much meat isn’t that good for you in the long run really anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Makes a lot of sense environmentally and maybe more people are waking to/giving a shit what the actual process of getting meat onto your plate is. And most importantly in terms of people giving it a go I suppose is that the vegan/veggie options are getting better all the time, Greazy Vegan in Cardiff does a Big Mac which is unreal.

I stopped eating meat a year and a half ago and I'm glad I did, nowhere near ready to go vegan at the moment though.

As a side note it's easy to throw the word hipster at something you don't like or don't understand to try and denigrate it, it's usually the same people that throw the term PC gone mad around like they're getting paid for it.
    Only a snowflake would say that.

Veganism will probably follow the same path as the concept of ecology. People highlighting global ecological problems in the sixties were considered oddballs on the margins of society but now the rest of us are seeing the light.

It's been over two years since I became veggie and it's one of my finest choices.

It's healthy, cheaper than meat, good for the environment and nothing died for the sake of a meal. I'd never go back to eating meat now. (Most) of us here wouldn't eat our cats & dogs so why eat cattle etc?

Anyone who is on the fence about whether to give up meat or not should go to a slaughterhouse as I'm sure it'll soon help them choose.

Its upsetting.

Forza meat.

I’m all for freedom of choice. If someone wants to be a vegetarian or a vegan, then good on them. Just don’t understand why they want to still eat things shaped like a sausage or a burger? You either want a sausage or a burger, or you don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    People have started becoming vegetarians and vegans for other reasons, like sustainability, greenhouse emissions etc

Although I'm sure I've read somewhere that a high percentage of vegetarians eventually return to the meat, but I guess in a meat centric society that might not be surprising.

£10 a head isn't really that extravagant for entertaining is it?
    It’s a finger buffet not a three course meal

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’m all for freedom of choice. If someone wants to be a vegetarian or a vegan, then good on them. Just don’t understand why they want to still eat things shaped like a sausage or a burger? You either want a sausage or a burger, or you don’t.
    But those things taste nice, what if they want to eat things like that but don’t want to eat meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think more and more people will go veggie and vegan now we are seeing the effect that large scale meat farming has on the environment. I don’t think I could go full veggie but I’m trying to eat less meat. Eating too much meat isn’t that good for you in the long run really anyway.
    I think most people will try to eat less meat, for reasons you have pointed out, but a good number will step to veggie diet and smaller proportion completely vegan. If not for anything else, completely vegan currently seems more costly than veggie or meat based diet.

Can you imagine how many chickens die in horrible conditions for all those cheap chicken shops mostly visited by the tipsy and college students?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I think most people will try to eat less meat, for reasons you have pointed out, but a good number will step to veggie diet and smaller proportion completely vegan. If not for anything else, completely vegan currently seems more costly than veggie or meat based diet.

Can you imagine how many chickens die in horrible conditions for all those cheap chicken shops mostly visited by the tipsy and college students?
    Buying Vegan food from any supermarket is well expensive ....... Saying that buying any type of healthy food is expensive compared to all the Cheap and nasty junk food supermarkets are selling, its all down to personal preference.

Every food choice has many consequences beyond the simple 'good' or 'bad' that we'd like things to be:

http://theconversation.com/is-a-vege...ing-meat-71596

Basically the old saying 'everything in moderation' is likely to be approach that has the least impact, and locally sourced would be the best if possible IMO.

Yep locally sourced is definitely the way to go if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Only a snowflake would say that.
    Snowflakes are beautiful but can stop an army, I'll take that

But those things taste nice, what if they want to eat things like that but don’t want to eat meat?
    We’ll make them different shapes. Don’t hijack sausages and burgers. Mind you. Some of the cheap sausages and burgers they sell in super markets, probably don’t contain meat anyway 😂

Vegans/veggies will provide a healthy meal for us carnies when the apocalypse comes.

I could go vegetarian at a push but Vegan noooooo
    I like Dairy too much for that

In reply to 'William' - It's you lot who need to make things different shapes!! Animals are not ****ing sausage or burger shaped are they!?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    In reply to 'William' - It's you lot who need to make things different shapes!! Animals are not ****ing sausage or burger shaped are they!?
    Settle down Freitag. “It’s you lot”. So your already an aggressive Vegan/veggie? You could argue that vegetables and quorn aren’t sausage or burger shaped either are they? Meat lovers were in first though, so form your own shapes if you don’t mind 😁