+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil Etheridge not going to the Asian Cup

Neil Etheridge not going to the Asian Cup

Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will not be absent during the 2019 Asian Cup after being omitted from the Philippines squad.

The 28-year-old had been set to play just one game at the tournament, the opener with South Korea on 7 January.

Philippine Federation president Maiano Araneta had said they understood "the importance of Neil with Cardiff".

That dispensation has been extended so Etheridge is now not required for any of the month-long tournament.

In preparation for Asia's showpiece tournament, the Philippines will hold a training camp in Doha, Qatar, before playing a friendly international against Vietnam on 31 December.

Those plans could have ruled Etheridge out of the Bluebirds' Premier League game with Tottenham Hotspur on 1 January, plus the trip to face Gillingham in the FA Cup third round on 5 January.

But Cardiff, currently 17th in the Premier League, will have their first-choice goalkeeper fully available over that period.

Other Premier League clubs will be without some of their top performers on Asian Cup duty, with the likes of Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeeper Mat Ryan, Newcastle's Ki Sung-yeung and Spurs' Son Heung-min likely to miss large chunks of January.

However, Spurs have negotiated with South Korea so that Son will not be required for their opening two pool games and will fly out after the game against Manchester United on 13 January.

After facing South Korea, the Philippines - managed by former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson - play China on 11 January and Kyrgyzstan on 16 January in the group stage, with further games to follow if they qualify for the group stage.

The Asian Cup is held once every four years and in 2019 will run from 5 January to 1 February in the United Arab Emirates.

Re: Neil Etheridge not going to the Asian Cup

Bit of a shame really, once in a career opportunity I imagine

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Agreed I thought this was their first time qualifying?

Indeed. I am not a fan of this step and found Etheridge missing Gillingham in the cup only a far better compromise. However, it may be that his Country would rather go with one keeper and not one keeper for one game and another for the rest of the tournament so options were only missing a month or not missing any league action at all.

I would like him to go if only for himself but just for the first game. Miss the gills match and come back

On another note didn’t realise he’s 29!

Smithies must be gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Smithies must be gutted.
    Yeah it was probably part of the negotiations to bring him here that he'd get a run in the team in Jan

wow

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will not be absent during the 2019 Asian Cup after being omitted from the Philippines squad.

The 28-year-old had been set to play just one game at the tournament, the opener with South Korea on 7 January.

Philippine Federation president Maiano Araneta had said they understood "the importance of Neil with Cardiff".

That dispensation has been extended so Etheridge is now not required for any of the month-long tournament.

In preparation for Asia's showpiece tournament, the Philippines will hold a training camp in Doha, Qatar, before playing a friendly international against Vietnam on 31 December.

Those plans could have ruled Etheridge out of the Bluebirds' Premier League game with Tottenham Hotspur on 1 January, plus the trip to face Gillingham in the FA Cup third round on 5 January.

But Cardiff, currently 17th in the Premier League, will have their first-choice goalkeeper fully available over that period.

Other Premier League clubs will be without some of their top performers on Asian Cup duty, with the likes of Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeeper Mat Ryan, Newcastle's Ki Sung-yeung and Spurs' Son Heung-min likely to miss large chunks of January.

However, Spurs have negotiated with South Korea so that Son will not be required for their opening two pool games and will fly out after the game against Manchester United on 13 January.

After facing South Korea, the Philippines - managed by former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson - play China on 11 January and Kyrgyzstan on 16 January in the group stage, with further games to follow if they qualify for the group stage.

The Asian Cup is held once every four years and in 2019 will run from 5 January to 1 February in the United Arab Emirates.

3.5 million pesos the HK press reckon was what was paid by club to country. Today they are saying that his international career is effectively over.

I think it likely that he agreed to the plan not to go.

I'd rather him go for the duration, not as a Cardiff City fan but as a football supporter and one who would be disappointed if a Welsh player did this.

From our point of view we have a good quality back up who we haven't seen yet and one that was partly brought in because of this tournament.

Above all I think he will regret it.