+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff - the team of 2018?

Cardiff - the team of 2018?

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...r-team-of-2018

Good to see Mersin state our loud what a lot of us have said on here

Re: Cardiff - the team of 2018?

I think not spending much has helped us curb our expectations and not have trigger finger on firing managers.

We all expect to go straight back down but we’re all enjoying the fight.

Good pick by PM. We have done remarkably well in the last 12 months. I was guilty at the start of the season of being too negative about our squad, but then I remembered what it was like in the dungeon days. We really are punching above our weight, although we always have been a sleeping giant, but in deep slumber. To be outside of the bottom 3 at this time of yr, with our thin squad is brilliant achievement.
    As I’ve said before, if Neil keeps us up, he will go down imo as our greatest ever manager.
    My pick for team of the yr, apart from ourselves would be Portsmouth. They dropped to the basement like a stone after their financial fiasco, but their fans stuck by them in big numbers, and are now top of Division 1.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Good pick by PM. We have done remarkably well in the last 12 months. I was guilty at the start of the season of being too negative about our squad, but then I remembered what it was like in the dungeon days. We really are punching above our weight, although we always have been a sleeping giant, but in deep slumber. To be outside of the bottom 3 at this time of yr, with our thin squad is brilliant achievement.
    As I’ve said before, if Neil keeps us up, he will go down imo as our greatest ever manager.
    My pick for team of the yr, apart from ourselves would be Portsmouth. They dropped to the basement like a stone after their financial fiasco, but their fans stuck by them in big numbers, and are now top of Division 1.
    I've always liked PM as a player a pundit. Talking of the dungeon days, my one abiding memory is of him down here playing for Villa in a pre-season friendly. We'd 'given' away Mark Delaney for £500,000 and part of the deal was that they would come down here and play a friendly. Summer of '99? Although his best playing days were behind him, he stayed more or less rooted to the centre circle for the entire game and sprayed inch perfect passes to his Villa team mates. I could only dream back in those dark days of a player with such sublime qualities playing for us

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I've always liked PM as a player a pundit. Talking of the dungeon days, my one abiding memory is of him down here playing for Villa in a pre-season friendly. We'd 'given' away Mark Delaney for £500,000 and part of the deal was that they would come down here and play a friendly. Summer of '99? Although his best playing days were behind him, he stayed more or less rooted to the centre circle for the entire game and sprayed inch perfect passes to his Villa team mates. I could only dream back in those dark days of a player with such sublime qualities playing for us
    Great player who played the game with a smile on his face. Had his troubles with gambling, but has turned into a good pundit on Jeff Stellings show.
    Can you remember seeing Stan Bowles and Ray Wilkins down the City. Both playing for QPR (not at the same time) They were quality as well. Worth the gate money just to see them.

Yes, I remember Stan Bowles and Ray Wilkins too. We played against teams with some great players in the late 60s (when I first started attending city games) and the early 70s. Far too many to mention now, but maybe there should be a thread about great opposition players to have graced Ninian Park whilst playing for the opposition?

I remember Ray Wilkins playing for Chelsea at Ninian Park in 1977, he was a class above everybody else win the pitch. Another ex QPR player I saw was Rodney Marsh, but Dave Carver always used to mark him out of the game.

I wonder how much of him playing for Caerau has contributed to his choice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Yes, I remember Stan Bowles and Ray Wilkins too. We played against teams with some great players in the late 60s (when I first started attending city games) and the early 70s. Far too many to mention now, but maybe there should be a thread about great opposition players to have graced Ninian Park whilst playing for the opposition?
    Tony Currie was another and we had the former England Captain Gerry Francis on loan briefly in the 1980's