+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The honours the lovey list

The honours the lovey list

Gareth southgate or Divers honoured for Thai cave rescue, what a ridiculous honours system a football manager who took a team to a competition being given an award and men who risked their lives saving children trapped in a cave, who thourouhly deserved recognition, if Southgate had any morals, he would refuse the award. The sooner they do away with awards to non entities and just give awards to people who have done some good, the better.

Re: The honours the lovey list

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Gareth southgate or Divers honoured for Thai cave rescue, what a ridiculous honours system a football manager who took a team to a competition being given an award and men who risked their lives saving children trapped in a cave, who thourouhly deserved recognition, if Southgate had any morals, he would refuse the award. The sooner they do away with awards to non entities and just give awards to people who have done some good, the better.
    But he almost brought football home!!

Chris Coleman also got one for taking a team to the semis which seemed ok at the time.

Along with many awful Tory cronyism appointees , this one really stunck for me after so much opposition to these types of appointments
    Corbyn's offer of peerage to Shami Chakrabarti causes Labour tensions

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard

Your either fir or against such appointments, you cant criticise then join in ??

I'd get rid of the lot .

Blair tried some half hearted reform .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Along with many awful Tory cronyism appointees , this one really stunck for me after so much opposition to these types of appointments
    Corbyn's offer of peerage to Shami Chakrabarti causes Labour tensions

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard

Your either fir or against such appointments, you cant criticise then join in ??

I'd get rid of the lot .

Blair tried some half hearted reform .
    Agree with the mention of Tory cronyism but don't forget that the Lords is stacked with more Labour and Lib Dem peers than Tories.
    Get rid of the lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Agree with the mention of Tory cronyism but don't forget that the Lords is stacked with more Labour and Lib Dem peers than Tories.
    Including Lord Prescott - the most hypocritical of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Including Lord Prescott - the most hypocritical of the lot.
    And who remembers Baron Kagan? He was a Lithuanian-British industrialist and the founder of Kagan Textiles, which made raincoats from the waterproof Gannex fabric he invented. Gannex raincoats were worn by his friend, Prime Minister Harold Wilson. Kagan was given a knighthood under Wilson and was later sent to prison for ten months for stealing from his own companies.
    After his release from custody, Kagan returned to the House of Lords and spoke on prison reform.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Chris Coleman also got one for taking a team to the semis which seemed ok at the time.
    I wouldn't say that was quite true. Think there were a number of people uncomfortable with it on here and twitter but ultimately were respectful of his decision to accept/decline, as well as plenty happy to see him honoured. Paul Collingwood got one for either playing in one game of an Ashes series or not playing at all. There are many sportsmen walking around with dubious honours.

Considering people like Neil Hamilton can be elected to two separate governments and people like Tanni Grey-Thompson offer representation that is badly missing in the elected house I can't say that I always oppose the honours based system. There needs to be reform and easiest target is House of Lords, especially the number of dodgy peers or those not wishing to take part, but would also say there needs to be reform to how elected officials are voted in and how elected officials represent each nation in the UK and the union as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I know, it's ironic, however you mustn't say stuff like that as your then accused of being a Tory ,by the Liberal/Leftists keyboard warriors .

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I think the whole awards system is faintly ridiculous but if you do subscribe to it I'd say bringing 7 weeks of joy and unity to an otherwise bitterly divided nation probably deserves a royal high five if you're into that sort of thing