+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Wonder Of Sol..

The Wonder Of Sol..

Has anyone on here ever witnessed anything like the playing style or histrionics of Sol Bamba? I've been watching the City since 82 and plenty of football in between and I've never seen anyone like him. He lacks composure, his touch is hit and miss, distribution at times is poor and his positioning suspect. Yet for all of those deficiencies and he'll blast through a few of them in a 20 minute period, his impact on the whole is positive. Yesterday he played well, saved a certain goal with his arse and cleared the penalty save with those telescopic legs. I've never seen a central defender step in as well as him and dispossess a striker, but then he decides to go on a mazy dribble that invariably scares the life out of me-or he attempts a 'Glenn Hoddle' 30 yarder-It rarely comes off but in an odd way i absolutely love it. He plays with an innocence, like we did in school yards and back streets, attempting the impossible-still trying to perfect the things that he wants to do but rarely does-Brilliant!

I think that it's this kind of style and philosophy that has helped us progress. The 'To hell with it' attitude,' i'm not going to hide',' i'm still going to do the things that I've always wanted to do',' i'm going to take this opportunity'. To be fair to Bamba, he's very good in the air and must be a nightmare to play against. He does produce moments of quality but more than anything it's his enthusiasm and belief that i love so much and i reckon that it's infectious. So, i say that we should enjoy his idiosyncrasies, his unorthodox approach, his rants followed by a back slap or high five, and his forays forward that have me holding onto my seat-because we wont see another like him. One thin is for sure, Sol Bamba is more that just a footballer for this club!

Re: The Wonder Of Sol..

The use of his telescopic legs reminds me of Faustino Asprilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The use of his telescopic legs reminds me of Faustino Asprilla.
    Remember him! Actually, that's quite a good comparison. If memory serves, wasn't Asprilla a 'rip up the Handbook' kind of player but in a more advanced roll-Producing some moments of brilliance?

His attempt at the overhead , he feels he has that in his locker too
    His goal against Brentford , what other centre back would attempt that
    That’s why we love him

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    His attempt at the overhead , he feels he has that in his locker too
    His goal against Brentford , what other centre back would attempt that
    That’s why we love him
    It's wonderful, isn't it? He scares me to death at times, it's like watching one of your kids attempt something risky without any power to intervene-i just want to run onto the pitch and strangle him! But it adds to the fun, Like an unpredictable friend or family member, you just know that they're going to say something ridiculous, offensive or inappropriate, and it's going to make you cringe, but deep down you can't wait for them to say it-He's great value.

The game before saw a world class tackle on Saha, by the mighty Manga . Sol is an inspiration, probably one of the clubs best ever signings .

I love him. He basically com3s for everything which probably isn't the smartest thing to do in the pl as people touches and pace can leave you very exposed. Thing is he costs us goals but he probably saves us a lot more might getting his foot in but it's not as recognised because it would never be direct.

He's comfortable on the ball but just tries to do a bit too much.

He's made a few mistakes this season that have cost us, but he always gives 100% and was amazing yesterday.

“ll guess I'll never know the reason why
    We love you like we do
    That's the wonder
    The wonder of Sol”

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    “ll guess I'll never know the reason why
    you're loved by u-u-s all
    That's the wonder
    The wonder of Sol”
    A little edit.

That's cracked it.

He is one of those players, where if you replaced him with a better player (which we probably could) the whole team performance and attitude would suffer, our team is the antithesis of why teams made up of superstar players can often fail

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Has anyone on here ever witnessed anything like the playing style or histrionics of Sol Bamba? I've been watching the City since 82 and plenty of football in between and I've never seen anyone like him. He lacks composure, his touch is hit and miss, distribution at times is poor and his positioning suspect. Yet for all of those deficiencies and he'll blast through a few of them in a 20 minute period, his impact on the whole is positive. Yesterday he played well, saved a certain goal with his arse and cleared the penalty save with those telescopic legs. I've never seen a central defender step in as well as him and dispossess a striker, but then he decides to go on a mazy dribble that invariably scares the life out of me-or he attempts a 'Glenn Hoddle' 30 yarder-It rarely comes off but in an odd way i absolutely love it. He plays with an innocence, like we did in school yards and back streets, attempting the impossible-still trying to perfect the things that he wants to do but rarely does-Brilliant!

I think that it's this kind of style and philosophy that has helped us progress. The 'To hell with it' attitude,' i'm not going to hide',' i'm still going to do the things that I've always wanted to do',' i'm going to take this opportunity'. To be fair to Bamba, he's very good in the air and must be a nightmare to play against. He does produce moments of quality but more than anything it's his enthusiasm and belief that i love so much and i reckon that it's infectious. So, i say that we should enjoy his idiosyncrasies, his unorthodox approach, his rants followed by a back slap or high five, and his forays forward that have me holding onto my seat-because we wont see another like him. One thin is for sure, Sol Bamba is more that just a footballer for this club!

He’s an enigma. But I love him!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

Reminds me of LFW for awkwardness. (Leo Fortune-West)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Reminds me of LFW for awkwardness. (Leo Fortune-West)
    I think Bamba has got a fair bit of ability and having more faith in it than he should is a reason why he has had to wait until the age of thirty three to play in the Premier League for the first time - I'd say Tuerto has summed him up pretty well, he's unorthodox yet effective and an inspirational figure.

There's been much made of Callum Paterson as Cardiff City cult hero recently, but I'd say we have a few others in this squad,one of whom is Sol.

Wonder if he has any interest in going into management?

It already makes me sad to think there will come a day when he won’t play for us anymore....just like Warnock his enthusiasm is infectious

Does anyone else look and him and see Jason Perry??

That Van Dijk looks a right miserable git.

Great thread. Reminds me of one of my favourite ever players at the City. Cohen Griffith. Not a prolific scorer, but 100% effort every game and an infectious character.