+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Blocked downpipe

Blocked downpipe

I have a blocked downpipe which probably needs replacing

Not sure whether the problem is just with the pipe itself or whether there is a blockage below ground ( council surveyor thinks it may go into a soakaway)

While it is on my land it is actually my neighbours pipe ( it is a row of terraced houses down a hill each with a front garden and each house is slightly in front of the one next door) so they should pay but I just want an idea of the possible cost before I approach them.

Anyone either do such work or know someone who does?

Thanks7

Re: Blocked downpipe

drill a hole in it pop in a tap and water the garden

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

Not sure whether the problem is just with the pipe itself or whether there is a blockage below ground ( council surveyor thinks it may go into a soakaway)

While it is on my land it is actually my neighbours pipe ( it is a row of terraced houses down a hill each with a front garden and each house is slightly in front of the one next door) so they should pay but I just want an idea of the possible cost before I approach them.

Thanks7
    If it’s going into a soakaway, then I take it it’s just taking away rainwater from the guttering?

Loads of drain clearing companies will clear it at a cost of around £85. I have a similar situation with a soak away on my land servicing only my neighbour's down pipes which are not on my land. Most people I spoke to seem to think clearing the blockage is my responsibility as the drain is on my land. The alternative is to do nothing - in my case a blockage only causes my neighbour's gutters to overflow so next time it happens I will do nothing and let my neighbour pay.

Old soak-aways often collapse and you need a new one. so area dug up etc etc, its not cheap

my advice, before the DP goes into the drain, just cut it and fit a shoe, which will just dump the water on the path and it should disperse into the water table

ref the rain water butt above, its a good idea, then on the water but fit at the top 2 " outlets " to connect some hose to, this hose could go either side of the DP and disperse the water over such a larger area, cost, under £60

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Old soak-aways often collapse and you need a new one. so area dug up etc etc, its not cheap

my advice, before the DP goes into the drain, just cut it and fit a shoe, which will just dump the water on the path and it should disperse into the water table

ref the rain water butt above, its a good idea, then on the water but fit at the top 2 " outlets " to connect some hose to, this hose could go either side of the DP and disperse the water over such a larger area, cost, under £60
    Old soakaways do not collapse as they are literally holes in the ground filled with stones unlike present day soakaways which tend to be built using purpose built baskets. It is true there can be collapses of the pipes leading to the soakaway but the most likely cause of a blockage is the stones filling up with earth and weeds preventing water from draining through - a problem which can sometimes be resolved through jetting.

Fitting a shoe is a good idea as long as the water drains away from the house. A water butt is not such a good idea as the butt will fill up after a brief shower unless you leave the butt tap open which is no better than the shoe solution mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Old soakaways do not collapse as they are literally holes in the ground filled with stones
    Not collapsing in the conventional sense, just filling up with earth, plant / tree roots etc etc

When i was working on older properties i was always told that was the cause and the term collapsing was used to describe that

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    the most likely cause of a blockage is the stones filling up with earth and weeds preventing water from draining through - a problem which can sometimes be resolved through jetting.

Fitting a shoe is a good idea as long as the water drains away from the house. A water butt is not such a good idea as the butt will fill up after a brief shower unless you leave the butt tap open which is no better than the shoe solution mentioned above.
    oppps i see you mentioned the earth and weeds, i didnt see it in my first reply

the water butt idea with 2 overflow hoses would help disperse the water over a great area though

Thanks for the advice so far.
    I'm visiting the wife in hospital at the moment, but may respond again later
    (or tomorrow if I am too tired tonight)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

Thanks7
    Can't you divert the pipe into the gully that takes the waste from your washing machine-sink etc-you shouldn't really put fresh into fowl although plenty of people do. If it's close enough just divert it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Can't you divert the pipe into the gully that takes the waste from your washing machine-sink etc-you shouldn't really put fresh into fowl although plenty of people do. If it's close enough just divert it.
    He’d be too chicken to do that😂😂😂😂