+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Man marking

Man marking

Why are we doing it especially against the best players, Bamba and Morrison was all over the place tonight with kane and son pulling them all over the pitch and out of position, the amount of times the players went to the man leaving space free for him to pass it to an unmarked player was frightening tonight, I know spurs are good but we can't keep making school boy errors like this, I watched wolves against spurs and granted it was only highlights but they kept a simple 5 man line and made spurs try and break them down and not give them simple space to play the ball behind

Re: Man marking

Our Neil tried to be to clever.
    None of the Cardiff City up and at em home passion.
    Should have started with NML and Junior with Paterson upfront

Kane kept dropping off into midfield to receive the ball and poor old Gunnar didn't know what the **** to do-Meanwhile, Arter threw his arms about and clapped his hands.....Different level.

It can work though: we've seen Bennett and Peltier play as almost inside full-backs following their men (the commentary by Osian Roberts last year) and against Palace a similar thing. There is a bit of a difference doing it against Palace though and doing it against a side with Eriksen, Ali, Kane, Son in their attack.

Problem being that switching to ask Spurs to break down defence doesn't work when you've coughed up 2 goal lead so even an in-game adjustment would have meant very little. Only thing it could have done was keep it at 2 and protect goal difference.

Considering the mauling we had off United you think Warnock would have gone safe and just gone with 10 behind the ball, a couple of defensive lines with not much space for them to play between the lines.

Trying to man mark world class strikers they will just pull you all over the shop, as they did.

That said I still think all 3 goals were fundamental defensive errors that could have been avoided.

By the same token even if we’d avoided making the errors we would have still been thumped in the end as Spurs didn’t get out of second gear when they went 3up.

Playing the ‘little fella’ up front against Spurs was a bit ridiculous. We can’t out football these teams so we need to play to our strengths i.e. the crash, bang, wallop front man that is Paterson, not pretty but pretty effective on times. Paterson looked bereft out on the flank whilst Reid was pissing against the wind on his own up top. Very strange formation today.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It can work though: we've seen Bennett and Peltier play as almost inside full-backs following their men (the commentary by Osian Roberts last year) and against Palace a similar thing. There is a bit of a difference doing it against Palace though and doing it against a side with Eriksen, Ali, Kane, Son in their attack.

Problem being that switching to ask Spurs to break down defence doesn't work when you've coughed up 2 goal lead so even an in-game adjustment would have meant very little. Only thing it could have done was keep it at 2 and protect goal difference.
    The game was done and dusted after 10 minutes. You’re right, no adjustments would have really mattered at 2-0 down. From then it was damage limitation which thank **** wasn’t too bad only 3 on the end as it had the potential to be a massacre if Spurs didn’t go into cruise control after 3-0.

Only way to remotely give the big boys a game is to frustrate them for as long as possible, break the game up, but giving away goals in first ten minutes like we’ve done last 2 home games totally ****s any sort of game plan up.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Playing the ‘little fella’ up front against Spurs was a bit ridiculous. We can’t out football these teams so we need to play to our strengths i.e. the crash, bang, wallop front man that is Paterson, not pretty but pretty effective on times. Paterson looked bereft out on the flank whilst Reid was pissing against the wind on his own up top. Very strange formation today.
    Agreed.

Paterson just made to look like a normal championship level fullback today.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Steve,

I agree.

Personally I’d go 3-5-2 against sides like this.

Reid can’t go up front on his own. We saw this from game 1 against Bournemouth . It’s not really fair on the lad.

I guess he was trying to pit Patterson against Rose, but Rose actually won a fair few headers.

Conceding 2 in 10 minutes killed the game.

No way back for us after that.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Why are we doing it especially against the best players, Bamba and Morrison was all over the place tonight with kane and son pulling them all over the pitch and out of position, the amount of times the players went to the man leaving space free for him to pass it to an unmarked player was frightening tonight, I know spurs are good but we can't keep making school boy errors like this, I watched wolves against spurs and granted it was only highlights but they kept a simple 5 man line and made spurs try and break them down and not give them simple space to play the ball behind
    I have to agree with that.

Seeing Morrison and Bamba being dragged into Spurs’ half following their men, and leaving huge holes as a result, as well as destroying the shape of the whole team was disasterous.

Whether that was is the reason for Cunningham have such a terrible first half, I don’t know, but that along with playing Reid up front and Pats on the wing effectively gave Spurs a two goal head start.

It seems like we changed to try to counteract the opposition and thereby moved away from the team’s core strengths.

A shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Having full backs man mark is one thing, but both centre halves?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I have to agree with that.

Seeing Morrison and Bamba being dragged into Spurs’ half following their men, and leaving huge holes as a result, as well as destroying the shape of the whole team was disasterous.

Whether that was is the reason for Cunningham have such a terrible first half, I don’t know, but that along with playing Reid up front and Pats on the wing effectively gave Spurs a two goal head start.

It seems like we changed to try to counteract the opposition and thereby moved away from the team’s core strengths.

A shame really.
    Playing Reid up front on his own and Paterson on the wing were bizarre decisions, but they didn't really contribute to us conceding two early goals.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Playing Reid up front on his own and Paterson on the wing were bizarre decisions, but they didn't really contribute to us conceding two early goals.
    Not at all. They targeted Cunninghams side, and Murphy was no help on that side either.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Not at all. They targeted Cunninghams side, and Murphy was no help on that side either.
    Which is why, I assume, that they swapped Hoilett for Murphy as he offers a bit more defensively. (I’m still amazed that Warnock didn’t swap Cunningham for Bennett at HT)

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Effectively, we don't play with a striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Which is why, I assume, that they swapped Hoilett for Murphy as he offers a bit more defensively. (I’m still amazed that Warnock didn’t swap Cunningham for Bennett at HT)
    Defo. Both points.

Hoilett had more joy getting at Trippier too. Rinsed him a couple of times but final ball was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Effectively, we don't play with a striker.
    Reid is certainly not a lone striker. Feel sorry for him being asked to play that role, especially against two massive centre half’s. He’s a second striker but with Camarasa the closest thing to a number 10 we’re not going to play 2 up top and Camarasa in a free role.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Cunningham with zero help from Murphy versus Trippier, Sissoko & Son fro 45 minutes was suicidal.

Why not play Bennett in front of Cunningham? (seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Cunningham with zero help from Murphy versus Trippier, Sissoko & Son fro 45 minutes was suicidal.

Why not play Bennett in front of Cunningham? (seriously)
    Not a bad suggestion against the big boys. Thought he did will in a similair role at Palace then got dropped again in favour of Cunningham. Still think Cunningham is poor, an average championship full back at best, although I agree he was far too exposed 1st half.

After watching us play a 3.5.2 system against Palace and Leicester why switch to a 4.1.4.1 which failed against Man Ure and now spurs. At least we changed it at half time and looked so much better.

This Spurs side can thump a lot of teams so no disgrace there and easy to criticise after the game but tactics were wrong from the start.
    Watching defenders following men to halfway line leaving gaps behind was criminal.
    Murphy who offered some hope for us going forward I guess wasn’t fulfilling his defensive duties and with Cunningham being dragged all over the place man marking left space for Trippier and others to exploit ! I am not sure if we were 4–1-4-1, 3-5-2, 4-4-2 ? And the players looked as mystified as well !
    Paterson didn’t look happy until he went up top late in second half !

Poor day at the office for Mr Warnock and the players , need to rest and prepare for Huddersfield when the pressure will be on for a win !

I’m getting a bit pissed off against these decent sides I’m not sure who’s idea it is whether it’s Jepson Neil or Blackwell but can we stop ****ing man marking its abysmal our defence was a shambles last night is Jazz injured again?

It's shite & cost us big time last night.