+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Championship

The Championship

43 goals in 12 games yesterday.

21 of the 24 teams scored at least 1.

4 of the 12 fixtures had 5 goals or more.

Probably 6 teams in with a chance of autos, at least 12 teams can realistically get play offs.

As much as I would like to establish ourselves and kick on in the Premier League you can’t deny the Championship is probably the most entertaining and competetive league in the world.

Re: The Championship

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    43 goals in 12 games yesterday.

21 of the 24 teams scored at least 1.

4 of the 12 fixtures had 5 goals or more.

Probably 6 teams in with a chance of autos, at least 12 teams can realistically get play offs.

As much as I would like to establish ourselves and kick on in the Premier League you can’t deny the Championship is probably the most entertaining and competetive league in the world.
    It's a brilliant division, it is ridiculous how competitive it is. It's the same every year too, was exactly the same last year as well, and probably most seasons before that!

Fulham were 12th this time last season, while Leeds and Bristol City were in the playoffs, so who knows what's going to happen! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42475344

The big question to be answered is 'Why do we go to watch a football match?' For me the answer is in the word 'match'. I take no pleasure in one-sided games, whether it's us being thrashed or us handing out the thrashing, when there is no real competition there. For others it will be to go and watch players they see on MOTD or Sky every week - with little real interest in the competition itself.

That is why, despite the Premiership having the better players, I have always preferred the Championship - as there is genuine competition there across almost all the teams and anyone could win the the league each year.

Yesterday was embarrassing for us and the Premiership. Any competition which restricts the genuine competitors to a chosen few each year is destined to eventually fail as it becomes a pointless exercise for the fans - unless it can replace them with a sufficient number of spectators who treat it like going to the cinema. I was interested to see the large numbers of 'tourist' spectators yesterday who were there for the spectacle of watching Spurs rather than for any real interest in the match. Perhaps the game has always been this way but I'm just noticing it more...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The big question to be answered is 'Why do we go to watch a football match?' For me the answer is in the word 'match'. I take no pleasure in one-sided games, whether it's us being thrashed or us handing out the thrashing, when there is no real competition there. For others it will be to go and watch players they see on MOTD or Sky every week - with little real interest in the competition itself.

That is why, despite the Premiership having the better players, I have always preferred the Championship - as there is genuine competition there across almost all the teams and anyone could win the the league each year.

Yesterday was embarrassing for us and the Premiership. Any competition which restricts the genuine competitors to a chosen few each year is destined to eventually fail as it becomes a pointless exercise for the fans - unless it can replace them with a sufficient number of spectators who treat it like going to the cinema. I was interested to see the large numbers of 'tourist' spectators yesterday who were there for the spectacle of watching Spurs rather than for any real interest in the match. Perhaps the game has always been this way but I'm just noticing it more...
    Good post

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It's a brilliant division, it is ridiculous how competitive it is. It's the same every year too, was exactly the same last year as well, and probably most seasons before that!

Fulham were 12th this time last season, while Leeds and Bristol City were in the playoffs, so who knows what's going to happen! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42475344
    Agreed. This year there is no Wolves or Brighton / Newcastle running away with one of the automatic spots either.

I dont thinks there’s one team at the moment who either don’t have a chance of promotion, or threat of relegation.

Maybe Sheff Weds in 16th who are 11 points off play offs and 10 clear of relegation.

Saying that Hull have been down near the bottom third all season but been on a great run recently and are now just 7 off play offs and 14 clear of relegation.

QPR are another, had a shocking start, bottom of the league and McLaren was getting pelters but they now sit in 9th, 4 points off play offs. 17 clear of the relegation spots.

Great division.

Agreed. This year there is no Wolves or Brighton / Newcastle running away with one of the automatic spots either.

I dont thinks there’s one team at the moment who either don’t have a chance of promotion, or threat of relegation.

Maybe Sheff Weds in 16th who are 11 points off play offs and 10 clear of relegation.

Saying that Hull have been down near the bottom third all season but been on a great run recently and are now just 7 off play offs and 14 clear of relegation.

QPR are another, had a shocking start, bottom of the league and McLaren was getting pelters but they now sit in 9th, 4 points off play offs. 17 clear of the relegation spots.

Great division.
    Brentford have Maupay who's scored 15 goals, two centre backs in Mepham and Konza who've been linked with PL teams and are only 6 points clear of the drop!

Brentford have Maupay who's scored 15 goals, two centre backs in Mepham and Konza who've been linked with PL teams and are only 6 points clear of the drop!
    Gone into freefall since Smith left for Villa

Mepham and Konza who've been linked with PL teams!
    Mepham to Villa in January

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Mepham to Villa in January
    Didn't they turn down £15m from Bournemouth. Probably won't get near that now but surprised if Villa have that much to spend?

Gone into freefall since Smith left for Villa
    Frank isn't Smith, is he? That's an understatement. Honestly, I'm surprised he's still there. 14 games, 2 wins, 4 draws and 8 defeats.

Didn't they turn down £15m from Bournemouth. Probably won't get near that now but surprised if Villa have that much to spend?

Frank isn't Smith, is he? That's an understatement. Honestly, I'm surprised he's still there. 14 games, 2 wins, 4 draws and 8 defeats.
    The moneyball system has malfunctioned that’s for sure.

Surprised Rowett hasn’t been sacked yet. The Stoke board are known for not knee jerking, and giving their managers time, but he’s got to be close to the bullet.

He can’t get a tune out of them at all. Always seems to be 1 step forward, 2 steps back with them.

Surprised Rowett hasn’t been sacked yet. The Stoke board are known for not knee jerking, and giving their managers time, but he’s got to be close to the bullet.

He can’t get a tune out of them at all. Always seems to be 1 step forward, 2 steps back with them.
    Rowett has to be on borrowed time, he's got the same problem he's always had that his football is terrible, so when you're not getting results there's nothing to fall back on. He's spent loads this summer too, and they're 14th. I think he'll go soon, with an FA Cup week meaning there's nearly 2 weeks to bed in before the next league game I think a few may go today/tomorrow.

When you look at stokes team on paper they should be pissing this league, I was surprised they went for rowett it was as if they just thought Derby’s done alright we’ll have him, even the derby fans was happy he left

Rowett has to be on borrowed time, he's got the same problem he's always had that his football is terrible, so when you're not getting results there's nothing to fall back on. He's spent loads this summer too, and they're 14th. I think he'll go soon, with an FA Cup week meaning there's nearly 2 weeks to bed in before the next league game I think a few may go today/tomorrow.
    They were saying same thing about Pulis yesterday. It’s all about getting the result with his style of play, so when you don’t get a result the next thing you look at is performance, and when youre not beating Rotherham at home, and not creating anything then the knives are going to come out.

We had the same here with Russell Slade to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    When you look at stokes team on paper they should be pissing this league, I was surprised they went for rowett it was as if they just thought Derby’s done alright we’ll have him, even the derby fans was happy he left
    Whereas Derby went for a more modern approach and are reaping the benefits. I hope to see Lampard managing Chelsea in the future.

They were saying same thing about Pulis yesterday. It’s all about getting the result with his style of play, so when you don’t get a result the next thing you look at is performance, and when youre not beating Rotherham at home, and not creating anything then the knives are going to come out.

We had the same here with Russell Slade to a certain extent.
    Yeah, at least Slade didn't spend millions. We bought rubbish but least they were cheap. There will be a place for Bruce, Pulis, Warnock etc as they do get results and promotions but Rowett etc don't have that to fall back on.

Lampard will get a bigger job but in fairness, he does have Mount, Wilson, Marriott and Lawrence as a front 4! It's a hell of a side.

Yeah, at least Slade didn't spend millions. We bought rubbish but least they were cheap. There will be a place for Bruce, Pulis, Warnock etc as they do get results and promotions but Rowett etc don't have that to fall back on.

Lampard will get a bigger job but in fairness, he does have Mount, Wilson, Marriott and Lawrence as a front 4! It's a hell of a side.
    It is. He’s used his contacts well plus he’s got the kind of standing in the game where these young up and coming future stars will want to play for him.

It is. He’s used his contacts well plus he’s got the kind of standing in the game where these young up and coming future stars will want to play for him.
    And, importantly, clubs trust him to send their players there. Warnock's reputation almost certainly counted against us in the summer.

And, importantly, clubs trust him to send their players there. Warnock's reputation almost certainly counted against us in the summer.
    That’s the challenge for us when trying to attract loan signings from the big boys. Our style of play is completely alien to that of the big clubs.

You’re probably better off sending your youngsters to a championship side that’s going to win plenty of games, and challenge for promotion, than a premier league that are going to battle against relegation. Especially attacking players.

Look at Tammy Abraham. Scoring goals for fun in his championship loan spells at the Wurzels and Villa. Struggled at a poor Swansea team that got relegated last year. I’m sure he’s a more confident player this season because he’s scoring goals.

Same with Harry Wilson, could we have afforded him such freedom to express himself that Derby do? Absolutely not, so it’s a no brainer for Liverpool to send him to the championship.

Speaking of Maupay, I'd much rather us spend even the £20 million reported fee on him than Sala. 8 years younger, has scored a similar amount of goals to him, in a league which is probably not even that for off the standard of the Ligue 1.

Rowett gone. Surprised he's lasted this long!

IMG_20181126_093259.jpg

From back in November

Whereas Derby went for a more modern approach and are reaping the benefits. I hope to see Lampard managing Chelsea in the future.
    Why? If he's a great manager, wouldn't you prefer to see him managing us?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Why? If he's a great manager, wouldn't you prefer to see him managing us?