+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should we just assume that Cardiff City won’t get a point against the top six this season?

Should we just assume that Cardiff City won’t get a point against the top six this season?

Re: Should we just assume that Cardiff City won’t get a point against the top six this season?

Very disappointing to be at such huge games for the club and tremendous continued support to see us so comprehensively beaten.
    3 - 0 or not , the game was over before it started and it is very difficult to watch 70 minutes or so of a training match, as this is what it became.
    Surely we have to move away from man marking ?

Re: Should we just assume that Cardiff City won’t get a point against the top six this season?

It's looking like it. Thought over 12 games we would have a Leicester type performance but with more luck that would have upset one or two but it seems unlikely.

We start too slowly, concede too much space and make silly mistakes to aid teams that certainly don't need our help.

Perhaps we need to ditch the man marking against these sides as spurs played simple but effective patterns where the third man was constantly left in space where usually one of the cbs has been dragged into midfield.

We seem to get caught between pressing in small numbers and sitting deep, against the sides around us we have done ok but in some matches easily picked off.

We are improving but you can see the quality some of these teams have in movement, passing with pace, close control, shielding the ball.

Huddersfield will have plenty of the ball but if we press when appropriate it's unlikely they will look as comfortable as spurs with it.

The team seem to assume this, so why shouldn't we?

Beaten before kick-off in every top-6 side so far.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I will say the two away games, we were much, much better than the home performances. We obviously took the lead vs Chelsea, and then got hit by Hazard and it was 2-1 until the last 10. Liverpool was similar, we'd have lost 2-0 had we not scored but we looked OK. We could have got something at Spurs too. I'm not saying we were brilliant by any means but it is chalk and cheese compared to the home games (Arsenal apart).

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I will say the two away games, we were much, much better than the home performances. We obviously took the lead vs Chelsea, and then got hit by Hazard and it was 2-1 until the last 10. Liverpool was similar, we'd have lost 2-0 had we not scored but we looked OK. We could have got something at Spurs too. I'm not saying we were brilliant by any means but it is chalk and cheese compared to the home games (Arsenal apart).
    As I mentioned in my piece, maybe there's a feeling that we must come out and attack a bit in home games that isn't there when we play away? For what it's worth, I would have sent the team out to concentrate on keeping Spurs out for at least half an hour, before giving any thought to a more attacking approach - there again, that's what we did against Man City where they didn't score until the thirty second minute and we all know how that one ended up!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As I mentioned in my piece, maybe there's a feeling that we must come out and attack a bit in home games that isn't there when we play away? For what it's worth, I would have sent the team out to concentrate on keeping Spurs out for at least half an hour, before giving any thought to a more attacking approach - there again, that's what we did against Man City where they didn't score until the thirty second minute and we all know how that one ended up!
    I think you're probably right, our only chance is to try and frustrate Spurs, keep it tight and limit them to shots from distance. The longer it is 0-0, we have a chance if Spurs (or someone) throw more bodies forward and a Murphy, NML etc can break with pace. Unlikely but it can't be any worse than what we've been doing so far.

Incredibly harsh. We had them under pressure last 25 minutes according to a certain poster.

I think you're probably right, our only chance is to try and frustrate Spurs, keep it tight and limit them to shots from distance. The longer it is 0-0, we have a chance if Spurs (or someone) throw more bodies forward and a Murphy, NML etc can break with pace. Unlikely but it can't be any worse than what we've been doing so far.
    Huddersfield did just that at Stamford Bridge at the end of last season and it kept them up

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Huddersfield did just that at Stamford Bridge at the end of last season and it kept them up
    Yeah, and we've made life difficult for teams at times away. I know we've lost but we've not capitulated like we have at home. We've been in games until the 80th minute or so, then admittedly it's gone to pot but you can forgive that as we had to go for it. Like you said elsewhere I'm shocked he didn't get 10 men behind the ball after the debacle that was Man United at home. Nice to see Bamba learnt his lesson and continued to prat about with the ball as well...

P7 W0 L7 F5 A25 Pts 0

It's a yes from me!

Pre-season, I had us down for 3 points. Home draws with Arse, Manure & Spurs. Got those wrong!

Yeah, and we've made life difficult for teams at times away. I know we've lost but we've not capitulated like we have at home. We've been in games until the 80th minute or so, then admittedly it's gone to pot but you can forgive that as we had to go for it. Like you said elsewhere I'm shocked he didn't get 10 men behind the ball after the debacle that was Man United at home. Nice to see Bamba learnt his lesson and continued to prat about with the ball as well...
    I know he’s adopted son of Neil but surely it’s got to be ****ing drilled into him that he is not Franz Beckenbaur.

He’s at his best getting his long legs in to slide tackle and block, as he did so well against Leicester.

He has one or two good games and then starts getting ideas far beyond his ability.

He went through a stage middle of last season of doing it but you don’t get punished so much in the championship. This season he’s been punished more often than not and nearly got punished last night again.

Last night was almost a carbon copy of the goal he gave away against United, loses the ball in the wrong area, a simple pass or 2, and they are in the box shooting on goal.

It really boils my piss when he gives the ball away needlessly, gets back to make a last ditch tackle and people clap and cheer like demented seals, totally oblivious to the fact he unnecessarily caused that situation in the first place!!!

I think we’ll get a point at Arsenal (adding Arse to my cringe list 😂)

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I think we’ll get a point at Arsenal (adding Arse to my cringe list 😂)
    I’ll see your Arse and raise you a Spammers.

I’ll see your Arse and raise you a Spammers.
    I hope you seeing my arse doesn’t cause anything to raise

15 minutes. Was it asking too much ? After Manure I just wanted us to shut out Tottenham for the 1st quarter of an hour, even with playing 10 men behind the ball. As you say it's a crying shame that the players couldn't have given the large crowd just a brief period of hope, however unrealistic.

I was annoyed the way the wall disintegrated against Manure in the 2nd minute, and even more so with our 'defending' after just the same time last night. Morrison's effort to clear was pathetic - nothing to do with 'top class players' or 'Premiership' - it was just plain awful.

My karma wasn't helped by watching Patterson playing right wing trying to place his headers into the path of Reid. I think it's been suggested that if you had a room of monkeys all hammering away at typewriters, eventually, perhaps after a trillion, trillion trillion years, you would end up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Creating a goalscoring chance using those tactics would take considerably longer.

Warnock knows more about football that I have in my little finger, but for what it's worth I would have started with NML and perhaps also Harris, and Murphy down the middle......

Echoed the sentiments of TOBW when watching the clock tick towards the 2nd minute with Spurs first attack and just knew they' d score.

2nd half not dissimilar to Man City v Southampton. Man City playing at their pace and could have won 6-1 if they had really stepped it up.

Dreading the home games v Chelsea and Liverpool.

Mind you Watford and Bournemouth won't be a million miles away from what we have experienced against the big teams this season as they do play some great one touch attacking football.

As TOBW suggests, City have in reality only about 12 games to garner enough points to attain safety.

Are we as bad as Arsenal against the ‘Top 6’? Worrying if so!

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Echoed the sentiments of TOBW when watching the clock tick towards the 2nd minute with Spurs first attack and just knew they' d score.

2nd half not dissimilar to Man City v Southampton. Man City playing at their pace and could have won 6-1 if they had really stepped it up.

Dreading the home games v Chelsea and Liverpool.

Mind you Watford and Bournemouth won't be a million miles away from what we have experienced against the big teams this season as they do play some great one touch attacking football.

As TOBW suggests, City have in reality only about 12 games to garner enough points to attain safety.
    We don't panic against the other sides, just against the big teams at home. And everyone away, except for some reason the big sides. Perhaps the players are a bit more relaxed away against the bigger sides as they know there's next to no chance we'll win... I don't know but let's be honest, it can't get worse.

It’s a bit stating the obvious but we will know by March 16th if we are going to be a PL club next season. Our next 10 game stretch is arguably our easiest run of fixtures all season. Highlights the need for reinforcements before Huddersfield.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    15 minutes. Was it asking too much ? After Manure I just wanted us to shut out Tottenham for the 1st quarter of an hour, even with playing 10 men behind the ball. As you say it's a crying shame that the players couldn't have given the large crowd just a brief period of hope, however unrealistic.

I was annoyed the way the wall disintegrated against Manure in the 2nd minute, and even more so with our 'defending' after just the same time last night. Morrison's effort to clear was pathetic - nothing to do with 'top class players' or 'Premiership' - it was just plain awful.

My karma wasn't helped by watching Patterson playing right wing trying to place his headers into the path of Reid. I think it's been suggested that if you had a room of monkeys all hammering away at typewriters, eventually, perhaps after a trillion, trillion trillion years, you would end up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Creating a goalscoring chance using those tactics would take considerably longer.

Warnock knows more about football that I have in my little finger, but for what it's worth I would have started with NML and perhaps also Harris, and Murphy down the middle......
    This has been a bugbear of mine all season - we have been conceding goals this time around which we would never have let in last season and, as you say, it's nothing to do with the extra quality of the Premier League, we've conceded goals which would have been considered poor at most levels.

Yes.

I know he’s adopted son of Neil but surely it’s got to be ****ing drilled into him that he is not Franz Beckenbaur.

He’s at his best getting his long legs in to slide tackle and block, as he did so well against Leicester.

He has one or two good games and then starts getting ideas far beyond his ability.

He went through a stage middle of last season of doing it but you don’t get punished so much in the championship. This season he’s been punished more often than not and nearly got punished last night again.

Last night was almost a carbon copy of the goal he gave away against United, loses the ball in the wrong area, a simple pass or 2, and they are in the box shooting on goal.

It really boils my piss when he gives the ball away needlessly, gets back to make a last ditch tackle and people clap and cheer like demented seals, totally oblivious to the fact he unnecessarily caused that situation in the first place!!!
    Not only that but his positioning is dreadful at times, which means he's caught out which last season lead to the big tackles which everyone applauded. This season it leads to chances

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Not only that but his positioning is dreadful at times, which means he's caught out which last season lead to the big tackles which everyone applauded. This season it leads to chances
    Correct. And goals.