+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Efe Ambrose

Efe Ambrose

Some talk on a previous thread about our interest in him. He's now triggered a clause in his contract to leave Hibs, who had offered him an improved 3-year deal. We are named as one of the clubs interested in signing him.

Re: Efe Ambrose

Nooooooooo.

He is a clone of Bamba. 1 good game in 5. Often gets caught out trying to bring the ball out thinking he’s a better footballer than what he is.

We should be looking to sign better, and younger.

Can't say he sets my pants on fire either. The Glen Kamara (Dundee) link looks dead in the water, as he's close to joining Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Can't say he sets my pants on fire either. The Glen Kamara (Dundee) link looks dead in the water, as he's close to joining Rangers.
    Good, he's half arsed this season at Dundee according to their fans. Don't want him to down tools here as well.

The Ambrose signing is exactly the type of player I don't want here either. What's the point? Why sign a 30 year old that's probably not as good as the players we've already got? If he's not good enough for Celtic, he won't be good enough for us to kick on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Good, he's half arsed this season at Dundee according to their fans. Don't want him to down tools here as well.

The Ambrose signing is exactly the type of player I don't want here either. What's the point? Why sign a 30 year old that's probably not as good as the players we've already got? If he's not good enough for Celtic, he won't be good enough for us to kick on.
    SPOT ON.

Would have been an ok signing last year as back up.

Totally underwhelmed if this rumour has any legs to it.

Always willing to give a player a chance, but this smacks of desperation.

Looks like he has a move lined up somewhere - I think it's got a bit more likely that it's Cardiff.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...eaves-13814227

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

But perhaps we don't need to "kick on" in order to stay up? If we improve 5% defensively, 5% in our midfield and 5% offensively then we may have enough to reach 36 points and be in the mix to survive. That 5% doesn't have to come from loaning a player currently at a top four side like Clyne, it may come from signing players who are just as good as the ones we have now in our first team and allowing players to have a longer rest between maximum effort in important games.

I'd much rather a younger CB who we can develop to be long-term part of our spine but we're not going to pay £19 million for a player with potential (fans and owner thought £10 million for the same thing was too much) so perhaps looking for a i) a rough diamond and ii) a player just good enough to improve us cheaply until the summer is the way to go. After all, plenty of teams are capable of having as bad a window as Fulham did this past summer and getting worse by 5% across the board while spending a lot of money and damaging their long-term prospects.

The Scottish Sun is reporting that he's in talks with Akhisarspor.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    But perhaps we don't need to "kick on" in order to stay up? If we improve 5% defensively, 5% in our midfield and 5% offensively then we may have enough to reach 36 points and be in the mix to survive. That 5% doesn't have to come from loaning a player currently at a top four side like Clyne, it may come from signing players who are just as good as the ones we have now in our first team and allowing players to have a longer rest between maximum effort in important games.

I'd much rather a younger CB who we can develop to be long-term part of our spine but we're not going to pay £19 million for a player with potential (fans and owner thought £10 million for the same thing was too much) so perhaps looking for a i) a rough diamond and ii) a player just good enough to improve us cheaply until the summer is the way to go. After all, plenty of teams are capable of having as bad a window as Fulham did this past summer and getting worse by 5% across the board while spending a lot of money and damaging their long-term prospects.
    But Ambrose isn't an improvement

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I am all for prudence with our money but the last thing we need are 2-3 signings of additional “squad” players.
    If you review the numbers of fringe players we have it seems enough, but Warnock does not play them as they are simply worse than our first eleven.
    We need at least 2 quality signings.
    A striker and either a defender or midfield player.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    The Scottish Sun is reporting that he's in talks with Akhisarspor.
    That’s easy for them to say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I am all for prudence with our money but the last thing we need are 2-3 signings of additional “squad” players.
    If you review the numbers of fringe players we have it seems enough, but Warnock does not play them as they are simply worse than our first eleven.
    We need at least 2 quality signings.
    A striker and either a defender or midfield player.
    Warnock has started that we are only going to sign players who will clearly improve the squad.

Warnock has started that we are only going to sign players who will clearly improve the squad.
    Well that shouldn’t be too difficult!

That would include any CB better than Connolly, any RB more trusted than Jazz Richards, any midfielder with more quality than Damour and any striker better than Madine.