+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: FT: GILLINGHAM 1 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: GILLINGHAM 1 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It may have deflected
    I thought it must have initially. But on the replays I've seen, it doesn't look like it did. If it did I'll hold my hands up and take the mare.

Didn’t look as though it took a deflection, the lad just seemed to aim it true & straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    I thought it must have initially. But on the replays I've seen, it doesn't look like it did. If it did I'll hold my hands up and take the mare.
    No mare straight shot

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Maybe he didn't play the youngsters to avoid them being baffled or even shell-shocked when they see senior players' lack of movement, control and ideas.
    Or end up winning and being in the next round ,so thank god and NW we lost and stopped adding to a season and set of fixtures ,we can barely cope with anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Or end up winning and being in the next round ,so thank god and NW we lost and stopped adding to a season and set of fixtures ,we can barely cope with anyway.
    We are going to play forty games this season - that could well be the lowest number we've ever played in a season since we gained Football League staus nearly a hundred years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We are going to play forty games this season - that could well be the lowest number we've ever played in a season since we gained Football League staus nearly a hundred years ago!
    Being pedantic Paul or perhaps a good quiz question, everyone only played 3 league games in the 1939/40 season when it was suspended due to the outbreak of WW2.

It's almost like someone told them something like "if you get to 80 minutes and it's still 0-0, just let them have one".

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    No. I’m old school mate. I want us to play our strongest available 11 in every cup tie we play at any stage of any season. Sorry!
    I do too. But I can understand why some would think that the FA Cup is an unnecessary distraction with the task we have laying ahead of us.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    No mare straight shot
    Bennett dived out of the way of it. It would have hit him in the face. And therefore not gone in.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I do too. But I can understand why some would think that the FA Cup is an unnecessary distraction with the task we have laying ahead of us.
    When the chance of progressing in a cup competition becomes a distraction for a team, then that team has died in a way.
    It becomes a sad, pathetic and embarrassing catch 22 situation, where some of our so called fans, want a weakened team on the pitch, or want to hastily get knocked out of said cup, because they want the manager and squad to consentrate on either promotion or stave off relegation.
    When I first started going down the City in the late 70’s, if some mystic had told me I’d see the club play at Wembley 4 times in the next 35yrs, I’d have thought they were bonkers.
    Now we actually have fans who got bored of that, and want to solely concentrate on league games.
    We are limited in ability in the Premiership, but have the class to have comfortably beaten Gillingham today. The fact that some of our fans aren’t bothered that we didn’t, speaks volumes for modern day support. Cash is king, and that’s all that matters. Pathetic!

When the chance of progressing in a cup competition becomes a distraction for a team, then that team has died in a way.
    It becomes a sad, pathetic and embarrassing catch 22 situation, where some of our so called fans, want a weakened team on the pitch, or want to hastily get knocked out of said cup, because they want the manager and squad to consentrate on either promotion or stave off relegation.
    When I first started going down the City in the late 70’s, if some mystic had told me I’d see the club play at Wembley 4 times in the next 35yrs, I’d have thought they were bonkers.
    Now we actually have fans who got bored of that, and want to solely concentrate on league games.
    We are limited in ability in the Premiership, but have the class to have comfortably beaten Gillingham today. The fact that some of our fans aren’t bothered that we didn’t, speaks volumes for modern day support. Cash is king, and that’s all that matters. Pathetic!
    I actually posted on a social media thread about this game that I would rather win the FA Cup and get relegated ala Wigan

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    I actually posted on a social media thread about this game that I would rather win the FA Cup and get relegated ala Wigan
    I’d like to go as far as we possibly could in the FA cup or League cup and also do our best to stay up. If we failed on all fronts, I’d have no regrets about going down. What is the point of actually playing the game of football if you don’t try your best to win every game you play? Call me old fashioned or naive, but that’s been my opinion since the first time I went to Ninian Park.

I’d like to go as far as we possibly could in the FA cup or League cup and also do our best to stay up. If we failed on all fronts, I’d have no regrets about going down. What is the point of actually playing the game of football if you don’t try your best to win every game you play? Call me old fashioned or naive, but that’s been my opinion since the first time I went to Ninian Park.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Being pedantic Paul or perhaps a good quiz question, everyone only played 3 league games in the 1939/40 season when it was suspended due to the outbreak of WW2.
    That season did occur to me as it turns out, but you know what I mean. Back in the sixties and seventies when we were in Europe regularly and competing in the Welsh Cup we used to play about 50 per cent more matches than this lot will face this season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That season did occur to me as it turns out, but you know what I mean. Back in the sixties and seventies when we were in Europe regularly and competing in the Welsh Cup we used to play about 50 per cent more matches than this lot will face this season.
    I may be wrong, but I’m sure the season that Burnley first got promoted to the Premiership, they went really deep into both domestic cup competitions as well?

I don't think Morrison rolling about on the floor appealing to the ref instead of getting up quickly and being alert to the danger helped.

I totally agree but I was responding to those who we’re sayinf they weren’t too disappointed as it would be a distraction in our quest to stay in the prem and given the choice I would rather we win the fa cup

Laudable sentiments but having been at the game, the team fielded was easily capable of winning and should have done quite comfortably.

Warnock definitely got it right in my view. We put out a side that should have won, and looked like they would do quite easily.

Getting ‘easy’ draws and fielding slightly weakened teams in the hope of sneaking to the QFs/SFs makes sense to me.

I USED to take the FA Cup as seriously (more seriously!) as other games, especially when we were a lower division side, but not any more I’m sad to say :-(

I agree it's sad, but if it's what the club and the manager decide, you can't blame some of the fans for going along with it.