+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL

Re: NFL

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not many teams have a back-up kicker. Seattle played as if they didn't have any passing plays in their playbook. All of their successful passing moves looked like they came from Wilson improvising. The amount of third and long running plays and screen passes they attempted was ridiculous.
    Re placekicking - I am sure you are right, it's just that it hadn't occured to me before. Seems bizarre really when everything else is so carefully managed. Not sure what I expected really - perhaps that some other player may have some responsibilities as an emergency kicker. I was rather hoping that the Aussie guy would have a crack at a drop-goal, but I imagine they went for 2-point conversions in the second half as they did't rate his chances!

Re: the running game. I think on the highlights of the second half I saw them try to run at 3rd and 7!? Did they manage to run the ball even half that distance on any play prior to that? It was like watching a sporting version of Einstein's definition of insanity. American football is a really complicated game and I don't pretend to understand it to even GCSE levels, but I would be interested to see if anyone who better understands the game can defend those play calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Re placekicking - I am sure you are right, it's just that it hadn't occured to me before. Seems bizarre really when everything else is so carefully managed. Not sure what I expected really - perhaps that some other player may have some responsibilities as an emergency kicker. I was rather hoping that the Aussie guy would have a crack at a drop-goal, but I imagine they went for 2-point conversions in the second half as they did't rate his chances!

Re: the running game. I think on the highlights of the second half I saw them try to run at 3rd and 7!? Did they manage to run the ball even half that distance on any play prior to that? It was like watching a sporting version of Einstein's definition of insanity. American football is a really complicated game and I don't pretend to understand it to even GCSE levels, but I would be interested to see if anyone who better understands the game can defend those play calls.
    Throughout the regular season Seattle had one of the best run games in the league, but in passing statistics they were ranked near the bottom.
    If they weren't comfortable with their pass game, they risk field position either by throwing an interception, or by the QB getting sacked. The coaches must have felt much better about running the ball.

And although it may seem daft continuously running into a wall of defenders, if they had been able to tire that Dallas defense, or potentially find the opening they were looking for, everything would have clicked into place. When it doesn't work, you haven't lost many yards, and then get to punt from a better position.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    How he's had this long is unbelievable he must have something on Jerry Jones
    He must have overwhelming evidence to prove Jerry Jones is the Antichrist, even though New England are "Satan's team"

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    He must have overwhelming evidence to prove Jerry Jones is the Antichrist, even though New England are "Satan's team"
    You can't say that about my Pat's

When TB12 finally retires I'm following Mayfield and the browns

Lamar so frustrating to watch when the running game isn’t working.
    Ravens need to put Flacco in, can’t win a play off game with a running back at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    Lamar so frustrating to watch when the running game isn’t working.
    Ravens need to put Flacco in, can’t win a play off game with a running back at QB.
    They're too reliant on the run, forgot it was on earlier today, are they even throwing some PA in there?

Fecking hell harbaugh your defence is shit hot you got to go for 4 and 1

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    Throughout the regular season Seattle had one of the best run games in the league, but in passing statistics they were ranked near the bottom.
    If they weren't comfortable with their pass game, they risk field position either by throwing an interception, or by the QB getting sacked. The coaches must have felt much better about running the ball.

And although it may seem daft continuously running into a wall of defenders, if they had been able to tire that Dallas defense, or potentially find the opening they were looking for, everything would have clicked into place. When it doesn't work, you haven't lost many yards, and then get to punt from a better position.
    Even if you have a really strong run attack, you still have to mix it up to keep the opposing defence on their toes. If they know what's coming it's obviously much easier to defend. Last night they were calling runing plays or throwing screen passes to the running back on 3rd down after penalties had put them back well beyond 10 yards. I think they threw a screen pass on 3rd and 17 at one point.

Game over!

How did he push that so far left, eagles live to fight another day but Brees against that secondary

What a finish in the Bears v Eagles game.

Field goal effort to win the game for the Bears in the final seconds hit the post and the bar but stayed out

How did he push that so far left, eagles live to fight another day but Brees against that secondary
    Cowboys v Eagles championship game. Book it.

Un-****ing-believable. Parkey been useless all year and now costs us in our biggest game. His contracts big aswell so I can't see him being cut either!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Cowboys v Eagles championship game. Book it.
    I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint! View Post
    Un-****ing-believable. Parkey been useless all year and now costs us in our biggest game. His contracts big aswell so I can't see him being cut either!
    Can't help but think other than the fact Doug Pederson proved why icing the kicker is always worthwhile, that game show cased Trubisky is not a very good QB. Made some nice throws sure, but he just played against a ridiculously banged up defence and still lost, with the leagues best defence behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'll take it.
    Same here.

Can't help but think other than the fact Doug Pederson proved why icing the kicker is always worthwhile, that game show cased Trubisky is not a very good QB. Made some nice throws sure, but he just played against a ridiculously banged up defence and still lost, with the leagues best defence behind him.
    Icing the kicker or not, an NFL kicker should be able to make a 43 yard FG pretty routinely. Been terrible all year, has one of the lowest percentages in the league, would have been cut week's ago if it weren't for his contract.

How can you even say that about Trubisky? Showed massive progress all year. Yeah, granted, he's raw, misses some throws but he's just thrown for over 300 yards and 0 ints in his first ever playoff game and all whilst having to stay in the pocket because of his early injury, taking away his usual scrambling ability. Not his fault we weren't taking shots downfield, when we did they worked but Nagy obviously didn't fancy it. Turned up in the 4th quarter when his team needed him, everyone would be saying how good he is if Parkey didn't miss but that's just how it goes.

Nonsense. Trubisky barely put a foot wrong all game. And don’t forget he’s not the one calling the plays. He had a superb outing!!
    As for the leagues best defence. The Bears best safety this season (Eddie Jackson) didn’t feature, and his replacement Amos cost us the first Eagles TD with that stupid late hit after they dropped the pass on 3rd & long. Amukamara then gave up a huge chunk with the pass interference call. It was also unfortunate they couldn’t stop the Eagles drive late in the 4th qtr.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint! View Post
    Un-****ing-believable. Parkey been useless all year and now costs us in I our biggest game. His contracts big aswell so I can't see him being cut either!
    Parkey will be gone. He will never be welcome in Chicago again.
    Robbie Gould is a free-agent this offseason and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back.

Trubisky will have a better career than Dak.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    Nonsense. Trubisky barely put a foot wrong all game. And don’t forget he’s not the one calling the plays. He had a superb outing!!
    As for the leagues best defence. The Bears best safety this season (Eddie Jackson) didn’t feature, and his replacement Amos cost us the first Eagles TD with that stupid late hit after they dropped the pass on 3rd & long. Amukamara then gave up a huge chunk with the pass interference call. It was also unfortunate they couldn’t stop the Eagles drive late in the 4th qtr.
    Trubisky is still not a very good QB. He may not have put a foot 'wrong' but the Eagles should've had two interceptions, one in the end zone... and he was still playing against a very poor defence in terms of personnel.

You can't say that about my Pat's

When TB12 finally retires I'm following Mayfield and the browns
    Brady won't retire, Satan will call in his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    Brady won't retire, Satan will call in his soul.
    At some point he’s got to fall off that cliff as kellerman keeps telling us