+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Just got back.....

Just got back.....

.....and whereas I hate seeing us lose, I am in no way as disappointed as some of our fans seemed to be at the end of the game.

We dominated the first half in what felt like one of our Premier League games this season, but in complete reverse: Gillingham just sat back in their half and we passed the ball around at will. It was so noticeable how much time our players were allowed on the ball, and I think that the possession stats were 70/30. It was also noticeable how the ball was being played to feet and not sent long all the time, with Damoir and Ralls getting a lot of the ball. Bennett missed a great chance and it just felt like a matter of time before we scored (I even remember saying to my son that Gillingham are bound to nick one, as we’d bossed the game so thoroughly)

The second half was much more even as Gillingham made a game of it and carved out a few chances including one that hit the bar, but even so we had enough decent chances to win it in the second half.

Mendez-Laing was excellent today, regularly beating his man and hitting the bar in the second half. Murphy was again frustrating in wasting some excellent possession and one really good chance.

So, we should have won in my opinion and were the better team (as we should be!) But we didn’t, paid for some sloppy defending, and (sadly) it is not such a disaster being knocked out of the Cup these days.

Re: Just got back.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    .....and whereas I hate seeing us lose, I am in no way as disappointed as some of our fans seemed to be at the end of the game.

We dominated the first half in what felt like one of our Premier League games this season, but in complete reverse: Gillingham just sat back in their half and we passed the ball around at will. It was so noticeable how much time our players were allowed on the ball, and I think that the possession stats were 70/30. It was also noticeable how the ball was being played to feet and not sent long all the time, with Damoir and Ralls getting a lot of the ball. Bennett missed a great chance and it just felt like a matter of time before we scored (I even remember saying to my son that Gillingham are bound to nick one, as we’d bossed the game so thoroughly)

The second half was much more even as Gillingham made a game of it and carved out a few chances including one that hit the bar, but even so we had enough decent chances to win it in the second half.

Mendez-Laing was excellent today, regularly beating his man and hitting the bar in the second half. Murphy was again frustrating in wasting some excellent possession and one really good chance.

So, we should have won in my opinion and were the better team (as we should be!) But we didn’t, paid for some sloppy defending, and (sadly) it is not such a disaster being knocked out of the Cup these days.
    Watched on stream.

Kind of like the opposite to a few of our games this season where we are usually the ones dropping off, conceeding possession and allowing shots. Difference bring our shooting from distance was awful compared to the sides we have faced previously this season.

Thought our possession was decent, but as the match wore on we reverted to a lot of long balls and relinquished momentum in patches which allowed GIllingham to work their way into the match. For all our attempts on goal, in general i'm not even sure we had the better opportunities.

For the way they defended, grew into the match and are two divisions below I think we got what we deserved in the end.

Some cutting edge is badly needed.

Also you can see how much we need Camarasa.

Even a Chopra/McCormack type striker. Game would have been put to bed before half time.

We needed patience and we didn't have it so we just lump it

I’m home now. Have had a curry and watched the highlights.

Another good day out ruined by the football.

Still can’t work out why Smithies dived out of the way of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Straight out of the Neil Alexander penalty saving manual.

Thanks for the write up ,its good to here from the real fans 👍

Have to agree with Bobby Dandruff above. Apart from the score I enjoyed the game and thought much of our approach play was excellent and a refreshing change. It was almost the opposite of the Palace game where we played little attacking football but our fans were delighted with the 0-0 draw. I thought it interesting to see that the team would change style almost completely. Smithies played it out frequently to the back 4 and the midfield passed it round looking for openings... and they did find them. The problem was converting the many chances and clearly that was the disappointing element. But luck can also play a part and on other occasions like at Palace we were on the fortunate side. I thought Mendez Laing was superb at times and that Danny Ward looked like a real threat in his short time on the pitch... neat and turning quickly with the ball.
    What I couldn't understand was the spoilt attitude of some our fans. One middle aged man near the players tunnel was screaming over and over at the players as they came off "Don't clap you're a disgrace." Losing to a struggling league 1 side is not good but it's not as if the players were not trying. It was just one of those days. No doubt the same ones jeering and sneering (and some were doing it throughout the game) will be singing the players praises when we get a lucky 0-0 result in a future week.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I’m home now. Have had a curry and watched the highlights.

Another good day out ruined by the football.

Looked on the highlights like he was unsighted by Bennett and possibly a Gillingham player

Quote Originally Posted by HaveringBluebird View Post
    Have to agree with Bobby Dandruff above. Apart from the score I enjoyed the game and thought much of our approach play was excellent and a refreshing change. It was almost the opposite of the Palace game where we played little attacking football but our fans were delighted with the 0-0 draw. I thought it interesting to see that the team would change style almost completely. Smithies played it out frequently to the back 4 and the midfield passed it round looking for openings... and they did find them. The problem was converting the many chances and clearly that was the disappointing element. But luck can also play a part and on other occasions like at Palace we were on the fortunate side. I thought Mendez Laing was superb at times and that Danny Ward looked like a real threat in his short time on the pitch... neat and turning quickly with the ball.
    What I couldn't understand was the spoilt attitude of some our fans. One middle aged man near the players tunnel was screaming over and over at the players as they came off "Don't clap you're a disgrace." Losing to a struggling league 1 side is not good but it's not as if the players were not trying. It was just one of those days. No doubt the same ones jeering and sneering (and some were doing it throughout the game) will be singing the players praises when we get a lucky 0-0 result in a future week.
    Nice to read 2 balanced reports.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveringBluebird View Post
    This is EXACTLY as I saw the game.

I was amazed at a number of fans absolutely slating the team the at the end (as well as some of the completely inaccurate reporting of the game). They tried as they always do and actually played some decent football. On a different day it would have been a straight forward victory.

But let’s move on. No real negatives here as much as I’d like us still to be in the Cup.