+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gary Madine to Sheffield United - done deal.

Gary Madine to Sheffield United - done deal.

Both clubs confirm deal now signed and photo taken in new shirt!

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2019/jan...-madine-signs/

Chris Wilder has spoken of his delight after strengthening his attacking options with the loan signing of a Premier League striker.

Gary Madine, who won promotion from the Championship with Cardiff City last season, has joined until the end of the season, United can confirm.

Speaking after completing the deal, boss Wilder commented: "I sign the players for this football club and I try and get as many right as possible. Generally we've got things right and I'm more than positive, more than happy with this signing.

"Gary gives us a physicality at the top of the pitch, tactically he gives us something different, which we'll need in the second part of the season.

"If you ask any of our centre-halves for their opinion of playing against Gary Madine, they'll all say the same, he's a tough boy to play against. He is physical and technically very good too, hopefully he'll be able to get on the end of some of the crosses we put in.

"I'm looking forward to working with Gary, he's won promotion with Bolton and scored goals there. And if anyone knows anything about a striker it's our old manager (Neil Warnock), he took a punt on him last season and was part of the Cardiff squad that went up."

Madine, 28, added: "There were other teams interested, but believe it or not when I knew Sheffield United was interested, I was buzzing and jumped at the chance. I've played with some of the lads and against them too, I was dying to make the move happen.

"Some people have this perception I don't like Sheffield United, but that's not true. I've had over 20,000 supporters booing me when I've played here before, it's an intimidating place to come and some players would crumble.

"But I've always thought I wouldn't mind being part of that and it is certainly a club on the up, one who play some excellent football."

Having been released by Middlesbrough as a youngster, Madine progressed through the youth ranks at Carlisle United and made his debut as a 17-year-old. He scored 22 times in 85 appearances during his time at Brunton Park and in January 2011 joined Sheffield Wednesday on a four-and-a-half-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The powerful marksman then impressed Blades boss Wilder and his backroom staff during his time with Bolton Wanderers, scoring for them in a 1-0 victory at Bramall Lane in December 2017.

In January 2018, Cardiff boss Warnock decided to make Madine a multi-million-pound signing to help propel his Bluebirds towards the Premier League and the marksman came off the bench at Bramall Lane last April as City snatched a point, subsequently winning promotion.

He completed a medical over the weekend and watched United's FA Cup encounter against Barnet.

Madine is the second Premiership player through the Bramall Lane doors already in this transfer window, following Kieran Dowell, who has signed from Everton until the end of the campaign.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...ffield-united/

Cardiff City FC can confirm that forward Gary Madine has joined Sheffield United on loan, subject to international clearance.

The 28-year old has made 19 first team appearances for the Bluebirds in all competitions to date, and moves to Bramall Lane for the remainder of the 2018/19 season.

We'd like to wish Gary all the very best during his time away from South Wales.

Re: Gary Madine to Sheffield United - done deal.

We didn't even get a badge with "I saw Gary Madine score"

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    We'll have to settle for 'I saw Gary Madine assist'!

I like the guy. Was never given a decent run of games with us. I'm ure he will do well for SU. Good luck to the lad

Sheffield United paying all his wages for the loan period.

Unfortunately Neil Warnock doesn’t come out looking too good re. These two outgoing players (Tomlin & Madine). Obviously the promised land riches have softened the blow but a couple of alternative signings (don’t ask me who, I haven’t got a scouting system) for the same outlay could’ve lessened the ‘will we sign anyone decent in this window’ crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Watamistakatomaka View Post
    I like the guy. Was never given a decent run of games with us. I'm ure he will do well for SU. Good luck to the lad
    yep do agree

Will Tan be releasing a statement on the website on how much this deal cost us or was that just for Cornelius?

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Will Tan be releasing a statement on the website on how much this deal cost us or was that just for Cornelius?
    Since Madine signed for us we are about £100m up in income terms, so Mr Tan has nothing to complain about really has he.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Unfortunately Neil Warnock doesn’t come out looking too good re. These two outgoing players (Tomlin & Madine). Obviously the promised land riches have softened the blow but a couple of alternative signings (don’t ask me who, I haven’t got a scouting system) for the same outlay could’ve lessened the ‘will we sign anyone decent in this window’ crisis.
    Why ?. We got promotion didn't we, so are about £94m up on the deal so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    So ends another absolutely terrible piece of transfer business by our club following on from Cornellius, Lambert and Bogle
    We seem totally unable to source and secure a long term effective centre forward

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    So ends another absolutely terrible piece of transfer business by our club following on from Cornellius, Lambert and Bogle
    We seem totally unable to source and secure a long term effective centre forward
    Fair point on the centre forward problem.

Including the 2013-14 season in the Premier League the these are the forwards who have been in the first team (a few maybe playing out of their 'normal' position and not all No 9s):

Anthony Pilkington, Kenwyn Jones, Fraizer Campbell, Tommy Smith, Joe Mason, Jo Inge Berget, Craig Bellamy, Andreas Cornelius, Peter Odemwingie, Rudy Gestede, Adam Le Fondre, Eoin Doyle, Federico Macheda, Conor McAleny, Nicky Maynard, Tony Watt, Alex Ravell, Etien Velikonja, Javi Guerra, Kenneth Zohore, Tom Lawrence, Idriss Saadi, Lex Immers, Fred Guonongbe, Rickie Lambert, Ibrahim Meite, Rhys Healey, Danny Ward, Jamie Ward, Yanic Wildschutt, Gary Madine, Lee Tomlin, Omar Bogle and Bobby Reid.

33 forwards/strikers over five and a half seasons (four of them in the Championship).

There are a higher proportion of failures in that lot than we have seen for other positions on the pitch - but then it is the most difficult one to get right (and the position Warnock says he gets wrong more often than not).

I hope it goes well for him , if he doesn't score quickly I fear the hatred and pressure will be fast upon him , being an ex Wednedsay player, some fans are very unforgiving.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Because they were barely involved in helping the promotion push, despite being the two biggest outlays of last season... and they are now leaving the club without recouping any of the costs of their transfer fees (at present). No matter how you look at it, we are not "up on the deal" at all.

If Madine had cost £99m you would be on here saying "we got promoted so we're £1m up on the deal, go support someone else!".

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    As I said, the promised land riches softened the blow. Us letting him go is an admission that his time here has been a failure and as a result we’re looking (hopefully) at another big money signing, by our standards, to fill his slot in the squad. A similar amount invested in someone else last season could have worked out a bit better. The Premier League money doesn’t last if it’s spent on duds as we found out last time.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    As I said, the promised land riches softened the blow. Us letting him go is an admission that his time here has been a failure and as a result we’re looking (hopefully) at another big money signing, by our standards, to fill his slot in the squad. A similar amount invested in someone else last season could have worked out a bit better. The Premier League money doesn’t last if it’s spent on duds as we found out last time.
    I really doubt we paid the full £6m.

We will have also saved around £1m in wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Because they were barely involved in helping the promotion push, despite being the two biggest outlays of last season... and they are now leaving the club without recouping any of the costs of their transfer fees (at present). No matter how you look at it, we are not "up on the deal" at all.

If Madine had cost £99m you would be on here saying "we got promoted so we're £1m up on the deal, go support someone else!".
    He probably would the deluded fool

Whilst admitting both players’ performances have been well below expectations, without Madine’s assist at Sheffield United and Tomlin’s goal at Reading, we would probably not have been promoted. Money well spent?!

Interesting how they're leaning heavily on Warnock to put over what has been an unwelcome transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Fair point on the centre forward problem.

Including the 2013-14 season in the Premier League the these are the forwards who have been in the first team (a few maybe playing out of their 'normal' position and not all No 9s):

Anthony Pilkington, Kenwyn Jones, Fraizer Campbell, Tommy Smith, Joe Mason, Jo Inge Berget, Craig Bellamy, Andreas Cornelius, Peter Odemwingie, Rudy Gestede, Adam Le Fondre, Eoin Doyle, Federico Macheda, Conor McAleny, Nicky Maynard, Tony Watt, Alex Ravell, Etien Velikonja, Javi Guerra, Kenneth Zohore, Tom Lawrence, Idriss Saadi, Lex Immers, Fred Guonongbe, Rickie Lambert, Ibrahim Meite, Rhys Healey, Danny Ward, Jamie Ward, Yanic Wildschutt, Gary Madine, Lee Tomlin, Omar Bogle and Bobby Reid.

33 forwards/strikers over five and a half seasons (four of them in the Championship).

There are a higher proportion of failures in that lot than we have seen for other positions on the pitch - but then it is the most difficult one to get right (and the position Warnock says he gets wrong more often than not).
    what a shocking list

Alan Nixon saying Madine is on upwards of £30k per week.

I didn't realise he was on anywhere near that. What a waste of money.