+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last time Liverpool won anything

Last time Liverpool won anything

Was when gerrard missed that pen.....

I still think they were there for the taking that day.

Re: Last time Liverpool won anything

I hope they lose every game and we smash them when they come down here'

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

It was on Sky the other day so I watched the Joe Mason, the last 10 minutes, extra time & penalties. I couldn't not watch the Gerrard miss, pressed the off button. I had forgot that Miller & Rudy hit the post, I thought they'd missed / been saved!

I remember idiots on here and elsewhere genuinely believing he missed it on purpose.

Kenny Miller had the chance to win that for us. Hit it too sweet in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I remember idiots on here and elsewhere genuinely believing he missed it on purpose.
    How do you know he didn't? Would you describe Gerrard as a model professional?

Both Gerrard’s did.

Wasn't Bellamy sitting on the bench and laughing when we equalised?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How do you know he didn't? Would you describe Gerrard as a model professional?
    Because it would have been by far the pinnacle of his career, he was probably more gutted about it than any of the fans

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Because it would have been by far the pinnacle of his career, he was probably more gutted about it than any of the fans
    In hindsight it would have been. But we'll never know what he was thinking that day. He may have thought he was onto bigger and better things. As I recall, he seemed to have a fairly high opinion of himself. He'd been out on loan, didn't seem like he wanted to be at Cardiff and I don't think he ever played for us again after that penalty miss. All I'm saying, is that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he missed on purpose. And there's no way to know for sure either way.

In hindsight it would have been. But we'll never know what he was thinking that day. He may have thought he was onto bigger and better things. As I recall, he seemed to have a fairly high opinion of himself. He'd been out on loan, didn't seem like he wanted to be at Cardiff and I don't think he ever played for us again after that penalty miss. All I'm saying, is that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he missed on purpose. And there's no way to know for sure either way.
    Yeah mate Kenny Miller probably botched his easy chance on purpose too because who knows what was going through his mind he was probably thinking I'd better not score here in case I accidentally get signed by a Premier League club on the back of it

I will say this, if under all that pressure Gerrard was good enough to deliberately miss by such a small fraction then he's far more skilful than I ever gave him credit for.

I think that the notion that he missed the penalty deliberately is beyond absurd. Who wouldn't want to grasp the glory of a win in the Cup Final and having scored a penalty to clinch it? Something that would stay with a player for the rest of his life. Simply ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think that the notion that he missed the penalty deliberately is beyond absurd. Who wouldn't want to grasp the glory of a win in the Cup Final and having scored a penalty to clinch it? Something that would stay with a player for the rest of his life. Simply ridiculous.
    As soon as I saw Gerrard walk up to take that penalty I said to my son "time to go". Flag taken down and, unsuprisingly, he missed. A good day out though despite losing.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yeah mate Kenny Miller probably botched his easy chance on purpose too because who knows what was going through his mind he was probably thinking I'd better not score here in case I accidentally get signed by a Premier League club on the back of it
    It would be foolish to speculate on what someone else is thinking. As foolish as it would be to confuse opinion with fact.

Bollocks. There's no way a player would miss a penalty in a cup final. Also, look at him here:

https://tinyurl.com/y9jqtkj7

He wanted to win. He's a prat, granted but to say he missed on purpose isn't fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bollocks. There's no way a player would miss a penalty in a cup final. Also, look at him here:

https://tinyurl.com/y9jqtkj7

He wanted to win. He's a prat, granted but to say he missed on purpose isn't fair.
    I didn't say he misssed on purpose. I just said that it's a possibility. Which it is.

I didn't say he misssed on purpose. I just said that it's a possibility. Which it is.
    There's not a lot of difference between saying it could have happened, and accusing him of doing so. He was crying his eyes out at full time.

There's not a lot of difference between saying it could have happened, and accusing him of doing so. He was crying his eyes out at full time.
    I disagree.

I disagree.
    Im not sure gerrard is good enough to have missed on purpose to be honest!

Gestede's pen was just as bad as Gerrard's.Absolute shyte, the pair of them!

Maybe Smithies let in that goal against Gillingham on purpose. We don't know what he was thinking at that exact moment there's no way to know either way.

You can make this odd argument for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Maybe Smithies let in that goal against Gillingham on purpose. We don't know what he was thinking at that exact moment there's no way to know either way.

You can make this odd argument for anything.
    Maybe we've got Warnock in charge so we intentionally got promoted to get relegated again just to piss of NYCBlue?

Maybe we've got Warnock in charge so we intentionally got promoted to get relegated again just to piss of NYCBlue?
    It's in the realms of possibility.

I was at the game and have never watched any of it back.
    Getting them to penalties and then messing it up, even after they missed one I think, is just about typical of us.

I agree though - what an opportunity to win something. I don't ever recall us looking like beating Portsmouth in the FA Cup Final (another game that I have never watched back).