+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Copenhagen

Copenhagen

Going for the weekend.

Any suggestions welcome, including where to watch the City game on Saturday. Cheers

Re: Copenhagen

Get prepared to remortgage your house for a pint

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Love it, Pedro-The Measure (no pun intended) of a place is always the Price of a pint-Not food, Hotels, Attractions, Transport, Flights etc........Beer ( if you're a man) Quality

Nyhavn is pleasant and I liked the Round Tower. Christiana is worth a visit to see the squatters going about their lives just don’t take photos.
    Tivoli Gardens will probably be closed. It’s a really pleasant city but there are not any real standout places to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Nyhavn is pleasant and I liked the Round Tower. Christiana is worth a visit to see the squatters going about their lives just don’t take photos.
    Tivoli Gardens will probably be closed. It’s a really pleasant city but there are not any real standout places to visit.
    Agreed with all that. I think the ‘Round House’ is called The Rotunda. Was full of kids art when I went there. Great views across the city even though it’s not particularly high. It’s not an overly built up city

The food ( smorgasbord) is really good and the city has a nice atmosphere with decent bars.

Beer is expensive.

A boat trip is nice, don’t expect too much from The Little Mermaid. She really is tiny.

Travel around is superb from the train leaving from under the airport right under the city and overall it’s a really nice, fairly laid back place

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Not true at all, so many good pubs all around where beer is cheap, including right in the city center.

Cafe Halvejen, Krystalgade, next to the Carhartt shop and opposite the synagogue, 30 seconds from the Round Tower. Pint costs 35 kroner normal price, but on Fridays between opening and 22:00, you can get a 5 pint card for 100! And it's a great, non touristy pub. Small but very friendly place. My favourite city center pub!

Det Ny Scala, Ravnsborggade, just on the Nørrebro side of the lakes, 5 min walk from the main shopping center. Also 35 a pint, 25 for bottles of Carlsberg/Tuborg, or 40 for better beers. Great place, sometimes has football on during the day/early evening. Loads of other good bars and food places in this neighbourhood too.

Nyhavn is nice for a walk, but food and drink there is not surprisingly expensive as it's tourist central.

To be honest, January and February are the worst times to visit as the weather is awful and it's dark and miserable. No football on as it's winter break either. Get inside one of the above two boozers and get drunk like the locals do, as there's not a great deal else to do at this time of year!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Love it, Pedro-The Measure (no pun intended) of a place is always the Price of a pint-Not food, Hotels, Attractions, Transport, Flights etc........Beer ( if you're a man) Quality
    You do realise that women drink beer don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Roger Gibbins View Post
    Going for the weekend.

Any suggestions welcome, including where to watch the City game on Saturday. Cheers
    As Copenhagen Blue has noted, it's usually freezing at this time of year so most activities revolve around the indoors.

If you like modern art and sculptures then I'd get on a train to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art (https://www.louisiana.dk/en - literally in the middle of nowhere!) and look at some of the most amazing sculptures I've seen collected in one place (including a brilliant Giacometti gallery). It's about 40km outside Copenhagen. The cafe looks out over frozen waters in a wonderful setting. Wrap up warm though!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    You do realise that women drink beer don't you?
    I know-Disgraceful behaviour. My point being that woman don't usually assess a destinations worth due to the price of a pint, unless you know different.

Meat packing district has a few very nice food options. More of a young 'trendy crowd' so avoid if that the sort of thing that would annoy you. Good night area for bars and drinking too.

Pop your head into Christiana too.

I went there a long time ago (Wales, October 1987) and returned there a few months later to stay for Christmas. Do the Tivoli Gardens ever bloody open? It seems forever closed.
    Agree about the mermaid statue, she really is small and well.. underwhelming I suppose.

Is the "Spunk Bar" still there? It was located near the train station and in what masqueraded as a red-light district I think. Nevertheless, it was a friendly and interesting bar.

Very pleasant city, have been there a couple times most recently with Wales away. Love the bodegas (cheap beer and you can have a fag as you please, if you so wish) and small jazz clubs, which sometimes overlap. Bo Bi, Fontaine and Hvide Lam were my faves but there are plenty about.

Would second the Louisiana recommendation, great gallery in a gorgeous setting with sights of Sweden in the distance. Within the city itself the SMK and Den Frie are worth a nose.

Norrebro is a nice area and you can have a look at Kierkegaard's grave if you're that way inclined (well, if you do ask a philosopher graduate for recommendations...). Remember a nice record/beer shop I spent an hour or so in but can't recall the name now. There's a big flea market nearby and a Good Soldier Svejk themed bar (one of my favourite novels, which is Czech, so was a bit of a surprise to see one).

Vesterbro/Kodbyen/red light/meat packing district is nice for grub, had a great meal at this Danish diner there that did native comfort food.

Dining options in the city aren't bad at all overall, had one of the greatest meals I've ever had at a place called Host but it was very much for a special occasion so would only really recommend if you're flush with kroner. Relae and Manfreds are good too.

Weather may be against you but rent a bike if you're brave and get on a boat at some point for a tour. It's a half tidy city to just walk around though. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I went there a long time ago (Wales, October 1987) and returned there a few months later to stay for Christmas. Do the Tivoli Gardens ever bloody open? It seems forever closed.
    Agree about the mermaid statue, she really is small and well.. underwhelming I suppose.

Is the "Spunk Bar" still there? It was located near the train station and in what masqueraded as a red-light district I think. Nevertheless, it was a friendly and interesting bar.
    Spunk Bar is definitely still there, although I haven't been in there in over 10 years probably. Tivoli is closed at the moment, until Spring!
    The mermaid is indeed pretty underwhelming but it's a nice walk to get there, if you go from Nyhavn, through Amalienborg Palace to Kastellet Fort, which is right next to it.

Bike is the best way to get around, but the weather might be a bit offputting. The yellow water buses are a good cheap alternative to the canal tours too. You use normal public transport tickets on them.

Louisiana as mentioned by others is probably the best recomendation of all the galleries/cultured things to do. It's a 45 min trip north of the city at Humlebæk, but easy enough. Whilst up there, you might as well carry on to Helsingør, a really nice little town with Hamlets Elsinor Castle on the coast - the castle is really stunning and worth a look around inside. You can get the short ferry across to Helsingborg in Sweden from here too, only takes about 15 mins and hardly costs anything either.