+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycles

Bicycles

Is it compulsory NOT to have lights on a bike now? What are parents thinking of nowadays? Ok, your teenage son wants to be out with his mates making a twat of himself but for Christ’s sake buy him a light & back reflector for his bike so we can see him making a twat of himself. Some daft sod is going to die soon and some poor motorist through no fault of his own is going to be pilloried by the idiot brigade.

Re: Bicycles

I’m not anti cyclist, I use a bike myself occasionally, and it’s only when you’re on a bike that you fully appreciate how many complete arse holes there are in cars. Angry, red faced, aggressive, selfish lunatics, and that’s just the women.

But you’re so right about the cyclists. Not using lights in the dark, kids doing wheelies four abreast up the middle of a busy road, grown men cycling on the pavement, expecting pedestrians to move out of thier way, even expecting vehicles to stop at zebra crossings for them. But I’d say unlike car drivers it’s the tiny minority that give the rest a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I’m not anti cyclist, I use a bike myself occasionally, and it’s only when you’re on a bike that you fully appreciate how many complete arse holes there are in cars. Angry, red faced, aggressive, selfish lunatics, and that’s just the women.

But you’re so right about the cyclists. Not using lights in the dark, kids doing wheelies four abreast up the middle of a busy road, grown men cycling on the pavement, expecting pedestrians to move out of thier way, even expecting vehicles to stop at zebra crossings for them. But I’d say unlike car drivers it’s the tiny minority that give the rest a bad name.
    No problem with responsible cyclists, riding single file, lights, hi viz etc, there’s loads of them and fair play to them but it’s these idiots who are more less playing chicken or Russian roulette with their lives, don’t they realise that a person who takes his eye off the ball in a couple of ton of metal on wheels is going to do them a lot of damage?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    No problem with responsible cyclists, riding single file, lights, hi viz etc, there’s loads of them and fair play to them but it’s these idiots who are more less playing chicken or Russian roulette with their lives, don’t they realise that a person who takes his eye off the ball in a couple of ton of metal on wheels is going to do them a lot of damage?
    A lot of the irresponsible cyclists these days are those carrying a huge thermal box on their back. Time is money for them so theyll often ignore the rules of the road just to deliver their food as quickly as they can.

If the car driver "takes his eye of the ball", then helmets, hi-vis and lights won't help the cyclists. You shouldn't blame cyclists for bad drivers. Try educating drivers.

You’re right. However, I wouldn’t even call teenage wheely twats “cyclists”, they are just kids who use bikes badly and are just too lazy to walk. In fact , they are the same people who as soon as they turn seventeen will be nobend drivers.

Almost everyone that rides a bike as a regular form of transport is very responsible and understand that it’s actually in their benefit to ride properly.

Cars definitely bring out the worst in people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    A lot of the irresponsible cyclists these days are those carrying a huge thermal box on their back. Time is money for them so theyll often ignore the rules of the road just to deliver their food as quickly as they can.
    Badly paid, dangerous and if the food gets there cold they’ll probably get sacked.

Ironically they are probably delivering food to the same lazies who can’t be bothered to cook and who drive everywhere and complain about cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    You’re right. However, I wouldn’t even call teenage wheely twats “cyclists”, they are just kids who use bikes badly and are just too lazy to walk. In fact , they are the same people who as soon as they turn seventeen will be nobend drivers.

Almost everyone that rides a bike as a regular form of transport is very responsible and understand that it’s actually in their benefit to ride properly.

Cars definitely bring out the worst in people.
    While we're on the subject of Car Drivers, What is it about people who drive BMW's ? Closely followed by Audi Drivers-Not all, But plenty of aggressive drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    While we're on the subject of Car Drivers, What is it about people who drive BMW's ? Closely followed by Audi Drivers-Not all, But plenty of aggressive drivers.
    I’m not sure but suspect it’s a status thing, i.e. Powerful/high-end car = powerful/high-end person = inflated sense of privilege/entitlement.

Whatever it is, I live in th EU and it’s the same here...Audi/BMW drivers are numbskulls on the road.

Fancy moaning about anything else lads ? Don't like music the music the kids listen too ?

Is it compulsory NOT to have lights on a bike now? What are parents thinking of nowadays? Ok, your teenage son wants to be out with his mates making a twat of himself but for Christ’s sake buy him a light & back reflector for his bike so we can see him making a twat of himself. Some daft sod is going to die soon and some poor motorist through no fault of his own is going to be pilloried by the idiot brigade.
    The next cyclist that zooms past me from behind on the pavement on Newport Road, missing me by half an inch, when I'm walking into work is going to get a punch in the face. FFS, slow down, ring a bell so I know you're there, no problem then.

As a teenager I rode a bike regularly and it gave me a real sense of freedom. I used to go youth hostelling in the school holidays with a couple of friends and we cycled all over the south of the UK and Ireland. Hence I have some empathy with cyclists. However the Lycra clad crowd that I witness these days with their aggressive riding is different and quite antagonistic. The thing that gets me the most is the fact that here in rural west Wales we have miles and miles of expensively built, dedicated cycle tracks (I mean separate tracks, not just a dotted white line along the edge of the roads) which I would have loved to use as a kid, yet I regularly see cyclists cycling on the narrow main roads holding up lines of traffic and ignoring the cycle tracks which are just inches away! What is that all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    The next cyclist that zooms past me from behind on the pavement on Newport Road, missing me by half an inch, when I'm walking into work is going to get a punch in the face. FFS, slow down, ring a bell so I know you're there, no problem then.
    He must read this board, no sign of him today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Here in rural west Wales we have miles and miles of expensively built, dedicated cycle tracks (I mean separate tracks, not just a dotted white line along the edge of the roads) which I would have loved to use as a kid, yet I regularly see cyclists cycling on the narrow main roads holding up lines of traffic and ignoring the cycle tracks which are just inches away! What is that all about?
    My take on this is how easy is it to ride these cycle tracks at speed? I ride the Taff Trail. At one point (approaching the Radyr roundabout from Taffs Well) there is pavement for pedestrians and cyclists. I elect to use the wide road here because of the speed I am cycling and the hazard of passing oncoming people/cyclists. Once a bus driver took me to task about not using the cycle path and I retorted, 'When I see buses use the bus lanes on Manor Way and North Road (Mynachdy), I'll use the cycle path'. And that is the point. Buses do not use the dedicated bus lanes for a reason. I think of myself as a responsible cyclist. I obey traffic lights, use hand signals and rarely ride on pavements but given a choice, I'll use the way that is easiest and safest to ride.

I used to commute by bike in London
    I have to say that many of the cyclists I see around Cardiff wouldn't last 5 minutes up there!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I used to commute by bike in London
    I have to say that many of the cyclists I see around Cardiff wouldn't last 5 minutes up there!
    If you watch the BBC 6 o'clock news, whenever they're broadcasting from Parliament square take a look at the rush hour traffic in the background.
    There's more bikes than cars and it's like the first lap of a formula 1 race watching the cyclists racing past.

Can't agree on your 'minority giving the rest a bad name'. The majority are complete selfish as5holes

That is the biggest problem, where ever there are walkers, on pavements, public footpaths etc cyclists dont slow down and expect everyone to get out of their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Watamistakatomaka View Post
    Can't agree on your 'minority giving the rest a bad name'. The majority are complete selfish as5holes
    Just like car drivers then

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Where we live a lot of people ride bicycles but not one of them has any sort of lights at all.

I had to clothes line one bloke and kick another just to turn into our apartment block the other day. It’s like a MMA brawl with these fkrs

How are you going to do that then?

Quote Originally Posted by Watamistakatomaka View Post
    That is the biggest problem, where ever there are walkers, on pavements, public footpaths etc cyclists dont slow down and expect everyone to get out of their way.
    The problem is that they are on the footpath, not whether they slow down. They shouldn't be on the footpath

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    How are you going to do that then?
    Throw my ruck sack at him, and when he stops to shout at me, punch him in the face. Simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    The problem is that they are on the footpath, not whether they slow down. They shouldn't be on the footpath
    Unfortunately, the footpath in Newport Road is also the designated cycle path. All I'm asking is for cyclists to slow down on the footpath and warn people they are there when approaching from behind. Not a lot to ask really.

was crossing Sloper Road to go into the Ground earlier this season. A 'kitted out' cyclist approached from the right and gave a few of us a mouthful of abuse for having the temerity to cross the road 20 yds in front of him.

I watched as he then went straight through a red light at the Bessemer Road junction..