+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quick responses required: Delhi or Bombay?

Quick responses required: Delhi or Bombay?

Which is the best one to fly into for about 12/14 days? Cheap flights available....

Re: Quick responses required: Delhi or Bombay?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Which is the best one to fly into for about 12/14 days? Cheap flights available....
    I'd say Mumbai and then you can hit the coast. Goa & Keerala.

Altertaviley head to Dehli and make your way around Rajistaan.

All depends what your after, let me know if you want to know any specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
    I'd say Mumbai and then you can hit the coast. Goa & Keerala.

Altertaviley head to Dehli and make your way around Rajistaan.

All depends what your after, let me know if you want to know any specifics.
    Architecture, landscape and culture. I'm not really interested in beaches and tourist bars. Delhi seems to be nosing head from what I am looking up right now on the net. I don't intend staying in any particular city for more than a few days as I prefer the bits between conurbations.
    Visits to Agra and Jaipur are of interest....

Head to Dehli then and have a mini tour around Rajastaan.

Udapiur
    Jaipuir
    Jodhpur
    Jaisalmer

To name a few.

Agra is really worth avoiding. If you insist on seeing the Taaj just make it a day trip.

Even the smaller places in India are huge by our standards. The beauty of the country is not really the places but the charm.

Not sure how easy it is to do in the North but when we were in the southern states we rented motorbikes and turned up and random places without any sense of direction. Probably our favourite moments.

Udapiur
    Jaipuir
    Jodhpur
    Jaisalmer

To name a few.

Agra is really worth avoiding. If you insist on seeing the Taaj just make it a day trip.
    Cheers

Architecture, landscape and culture. I'm not really interested in beaches and tourist bars. Delhi seems to be nosing head from what I am looking up right now on the net. I don't intend staying in any particular city for more than a few days as I prefer the bits between conurbations.
    Visits to Agra and Jaipur are of interest....
    You could head up to the foothills of the himalaya and the Ganges for a bit also from Delhi, if your not bothered about beaches I’d give the Mumbai coast a miss even though there are some great places like hampi just to the south of Goa.

Cheers

You must do a train trip, 2 daya from Delhi to Mumbai, organised chaos on Valium, but it was awesome.

Cheers
    I've been to Madras (Chennai), Bombay (Mumbai), Hyderabad and New Delhi over the years on business trips. Be careful with the water, don't have ice in drinks, don't eat salad or any dodgy meat products like sausages. Lovely people, lots of history but if it's your first time be prepared for a shock and pack the Imodium.

Get right stuck in with the food.

Every curry I've had since has been nowhere near the standard.

Really wouldn't pick one above the other, both have their numerous attractions and a wealth of places to travel too to visit afterwards.

As others have said, travelling on to Rajastaan from Delhi is stunning. But flying into Bombay, so so are the temple complexes in the Decan traps and Cochin and the canals of the Kerela backwaters. Having travelled widely in India, I perhaps have a slight preference for the south, but this was almost 40 years ago so places will have changed.

But wherever you go, I'm sure you will love it and will go back to do some of the places you missed first time.

And if you go to Agra, don't miss the Tomb of I'timād-ud-Daulah aka the "Baby Taj", often said to be a precursor for the Taj. Stunning building and [was] much more relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    Really wouldn't pick one above the other, both have their numerous attractions and a wealth of places to travel too to visit afterwards.

As others have said, travelling on to Rajastaan from Delhi is stunning. But flying into Bombay, so so are the temple complexes in the Decan traps and Cochin and the canals of the Kerela backwaters. Having travelled widely in India, I perhaps have a slight preference for the south, but this was almost 40 years ago so places will have changed.

But wherever you go, I'm sure you will love it and will go back to do some of the places you missed first time.

And if you go to Agra, don't miss the Tomb of I'timād-ud-Daulah aka the "Baby Taj", often said to be a precursor for the Taj. Stunning building and [was] much more relaxed.
    Thanks for all the tips. I'll print them off. Just leapt and snapped up a cheap return flight to Delhi with Etihad from Heathrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    I've been to Madras (Chennai), Bombay (Mumbai), Hyderabad and New Delhi over the years on business trips. Be careful with the water, don't have ice in drinks, don't eat salad or any dodgy meat products like sausages. Lovely people, lots of history but if it's your first time be prepared for a shock and pack the Imodium.
    No amount of Imodium will save you from Delhi belly, you need there Indian booty stuff, get it before you need it coz when you have the belly you won’t be going anywhere fir 2 days.....stuck to the food they do best.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No amount of Imodium will save you from Delhi belly, you need there Indian booty stuff, get it before you need it coz when you have the belly you won’t be going anywhere fir 2 days.....stuck to the food they do best.
    I'm pretty well-travelled and have never had Delhi-belly as yet as I know what to try and avoid. However, there's always a first time and this may be it

It has to be said that I could do with losing some weight....

Delhi - but you've missed the Pushka Camel Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Delhi - but you've missed the Pushka Camel Fair.
    Fair enough

Udapiur
    Jaipuir
    Jodhpur
    Jaisalmer

To name a few.

This....

I’m lucky enough to travel to india every few months. Going next week again

Really liked Udapiur and that whole region

I love Mumbai and the surrounding area but wherever you go in India it's pretty mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Wiggy View Post
    I love Mumbai and the surrounding area but wherever you go in India it's pretty mindblowing.
    I think I'll schlepp up to Nepal by road from Delhi and fly back.

Not sure how easy it is to do in the North but when we were in the southern states we rented motorbikes and turned up and random places without any sense of direction.
    That would scare the shit out of me. The whole country scares the **** out of me.

Danger outweighs the temptation!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    That would scare the shit out of me. The whole country scares the **** out of me.

Danger outweighs the temptation!
    An adventure without edge is not an adventure

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Udapiur
    Jaipuir
    Jodhpur
    Jaisalmer

To name a few.

Delhi as a destination for the culture architecture etc

Mumbai fior a date if what a thronging semi civilised society may be about

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Delhi as a destination for the culture architecture etc

Mumbai fior a date if what a thronging semi civilised society may be about
    Delhi seemed huge to me. I always remember catching a coach out from the centre up to Rishikesh, 6 hours later we were still on the outskirts.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Delhi seemed huge to me. I always remember catching a coach out from the centre up to Rishikesh, 6 hours later we were still on the outskirts.....
    Much the same for Mumbai, 10 lanes of traffic in all sorts of directions working in no cohesion.

Bus is generally the best for travelling around India maybe less so out of the big cities. That being said had a Train from Dehli to Agra delayed by around 6 hours for just a 3 hour journey. Apparently the smog was particularly bad that day so trains were running extra slow.

On a bus between Jaipur and Udapuir there was a military man with a rifle sat next to me the whole journey. Had to wake him up to go for a piss at the services. He was not amused.