+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City Record to be Beaten ?

Cardiff City Record to be Beaten ?

I remember very well our League Cup semi final performance in 1965/66 when we managed to lose 10-3 on aggregate over 2 legs to West Ham This, at the time, was the highest aggregate defeat in a League Cup semi final. I don't think that it has been beaten since. (Those better informed may know different) After last night's performance by Man City perhaps Burton Albion may be taking the record over.

I remember the 5-1 home defeat being a pretty miserable affair with us being outclassed all over the field. I think both Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters got a couple each but what sticks in my mind was Peter Brabrook and Johnny Sissons running riot. I remember thinking that scoring 2 in the away leg was a bit of a achievement.

Re: Cardiff City Record to be Beaten ?

Yep, I remember that game. The biggest thrashing I had seen (seen many more since). W ham were miles ahead of us.
    As I recall there wasn't a particularly big crowd either.

David Yorath, brother of Terry, made his only City appearance in one of those games, the home leg I think. He played because of injuries to others and new signings Carver and Ferguson were ineligible .

A couple of other observations about the home game

Firstly, I notice that copies of the programme for the game at Ninian Park go for in excess of £100 on Ebay which seems odd as it was not that important a game.

Secondly, a personal observation, our goal that night was scored by winger Bernard Lewis whose name I remember well but, as a player, has left absolutely no impression on me. Whilst I must have seen him play quite a few times I can remember nothing of him other than we sold him to Watford.

Only a few years after the game and the home programmes were selling for £10 each, at a time when you could probably get a pre-war Cup Final programme for £30-£40. I missed that game, was it raining? Perhaps the bad result, small crowd and maybe the soggy weather meant many programmes were thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    A couple of other observations about the home game

Firstly, I notice that copies of the programme for the game at Ninian Park go for in excess of £100 on Ebay which seems odd as it was not that important a game.

Secondly, a personal observation, our goal that night was scored by winger Bernard Lewis whose name I remember well but, as a player, has left absolutely no impression on me. Whilst I must have seen him play quite a few times I can remember nothing of him other than we sold him to Watford.
    Little left winger, I was at the game but why did I think that George Andrews got our goal & our two at the Boleyn?