+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Cardiff’s limitations laid bare in goalless bore with Premier League’s bottom club.

Lucky Cardiff’s limitations laid bare in goalless bore with Premier League’s bottom club.

Re: Lucky Cardiff’s limitations laid bare in goalless bore with Premier League’s bottom club.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wrong link I think Paul. No report.

Re: Lucky Cardiff’s limitations laid bare in goalless bore with Premier League’s bottom club.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Wrong link I think Paul. No report.
    Probably just another war & piece to tell us what we already knew. One team bereft of talent against another team bereft of talent. = bore fest.

For all the poor we were, if you watch MOTD we probably had the better chances, particularly the 3 in the first half.

Hoillet being wiped out when he had the tap in

The one Bamba hit straight at the keeper ( although called offside)

The corner which 2 of our players missed at the far post.

Etheridge made 1 save of note as although Huddersfield played by far the better football they were short of any pace or confidence up front. It was all too slow, and in general we defended well.

Worrying lack of any ability to hold the ball up , interlink and pass or create any real openings though, against a side who’s defence is one of the poorest in the division.

Even more worrying is I can’t see how it’s going to be solved.

Confused as to why Reid and Murphy weren’t used in the last 20 when the game broke up and Reid must be wondering why he’s now behind a league 1 striker in the pecking order.

We need the old Ken back or a really good striker in - by Saturday

It’s going to be a nervy few weeks

On the positive side, that’s 3 clean sheets in 4 games and only 1 defeat ( v Spurs), our results v non top 6 recently have been respectable, I though Manga had another decent game and at least we didn’t lose or have anyone sent off and aren’t in the bottom 3... small mercies

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    For all the poor we were, if you watch MOTD we probably had the better chances, particularly the 3 in the first half.

Hoillet being wiped out when he had the two in

Etheridge made 1 save of note as although Huddersfield played by far the better football they were short of any pace or confidence up front. It was all too slow, and in general we defended well.

Worrying lack of any ability to hold the ball up , interlink and pass or create any real openings though, against a side who’s defence is one of the poorest in the division.

Confused as to why Reid and Murphy weren’t used in the last 20 when the game broke up and Reid must be wondering why he’s now behind a league 1 striker in the pecking order.

On the positive side, that’s 3 clean sheets in 4 games and only 1 defeat ( v Spurs), our results v non top 6 recently have been respectable, I though Manga had another decent game and at least we didn’t lose or have anyone sent off and aren’t in the bottom 3... small mercies
    What did expected goals have to say about yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    What did expected goals have to say about yesterday?
    No idea, I don’t track it, when I quoted it before it was off someone else’s post, but we were lucky that they were so poor in and around the box and certainly didn’t deserve a point.

Hoillet being wiped out when he had the tap in

FFS Lawnmower. You could make a game of chess sound like nail biting entertainment 😂

No idea, I don’t track it, when I quoted it before it was off someone else’s post, but we were lucky that they were so poor in and around the box and certainly didn’t deserve a point.
    They show it at the end of MOTD so thought youd seen it. What would you guess it was?

They show it at the end of MOTD so thought youd seen it. What would you guess it was?
    I was too busy swearing at the TV.

Probably 1.5-0.5 in Huddersfield’s favour

If it favoured Cardiff he would have 100% seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    FFS Lawnmower. You could make a game of chess sound like nail biting entertainment 😂
    Do you not think this is nervous and exciting.

Short of quality, yes, absolutely, but every point is critical.

If I was an Everton fan I doubt I’d be that bothered.

1 goal yesterday and we would be sitting pretty.

1 for them and they have a ray of hope and we are dragged further in it.

I was too busy swearing at the TV.

Probably 1.5-0.5 in Huddersfield’s favour
    Ill find out what it was but that doesnt make sense with what you say. You said we actually had the better chances and etheridge wasnt really troubled. That would imply we won it.

We cant base everything on it but it does tell us a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If it favoured Cardiff he would have 100% seen it.
    They literally said, no penalty to Cardiff and stuck the credits on.

I don’t normally watch MOTD, I’m only really interested in our game and even then not bothered unless there’s something specific to watch. Only happened to turn it on as I went to bed last night and we were on.and if we are away I’ll be travelling back or just got home and too knackered to bother. TBH I didn’t even know they mentioned it. As I said earlier, I only brought it up after th Man U game as someone had already posted it.

It’s easy to see incidents - the penalty ones were on Twitter almost straight after the game.

Or watch it on Sky the next day, where the commentary is better and you haven’t got the shitty analysis from the likes of Linekar and Wright.

Ill find out what it was but that doesnt make sense with what you say. You said we actually had the better chances and etheridge wasnt really troubled. That would imply we won it.

We cant base everything on it but it does tell us a lot.
    I did think we had the better chances, however they had far more, but were wasteful.

I doubt xg would include Bamba’s offside effort or score us much for either Hoillets one or the missed header at the far post.

Would the fact that they had more chances not get reflected in the xg ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Chess can be exciting.

As a kid I played all round the country for Wales and also won a fair bit of money in tournaments and on holidays against cocky foreigners who think we are all thick as shit.

Hoillet being wiped out when he had the tap in.
    Tackled is the word you're groping for.

As for the expected goals, that was 0.14 (Cardiff) v 0.56 (Huddersfield). What those figures are supposed to represent I don't know, but that's what was on the MOTD caption. I just checked it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

As for the expected goals, that was 0.14 (Cardiff) v 0.56 (Huddersfield). What those figures are supposed to represent I don't know, but that's what was on the MOTD caption. I just checked it.
    Thanks for the xg

No thanks for the first bit. I can already speak English and can choose my own words.

Thanks. Those figures represent 0-0 was a true reflection of the game. And 0.14 is probably a premier league record for shitness. Versus anyone. But home to Huddersfield? That's embarrassing.

No thanks for the first bit. I can already speak English and can choose my own words.

Well come on, he wasn't wiped out at all. You made it sound like he was assaulted!

3 random shots from 30 yards would give you about 0.14.

Thanks. Those figures represent 0-0 was a true reflection of the game. And 0.14 is probably a premier league record for shitness. Versus anyone. But home to Huddersfield? That's embarrassing.
    https://understat.com/league/EPL

It seems these figures are calculated in different ways by different people. This site (the first that appeared that when I put expected goals Premier League into Google) has the figures at 0.12 v 0.39. As I've said on several occasions, to me it's just a load of crap anyway.

Well come on, he wasn't wiped out at all. You made it sound like he was assaulted!
    Here’s a link to the video.

https://twitter.com/jardineofficial/...139862017?s=21

I’ve got a freeze frame off it and it looks to me like Hoillet got to the ball first and the defender has come though the back of Hoillet’s ankle in his slide.

If he has got there first then it’s an awesome tackle - if he hasn’t it’s reckless and a game changer.

Although I think it’s a penalty I do have some sympathy for the ref in this instance as even with the benefit of replays and freeze frames there wil still be disagreements over it

Here’s a link to the video.
    I saw it on Match of the Day this morning. They freeze-framed it also. Fair tackle and no penalty was the verdict. Theirs and mine.

As for Huddersfield's 'penalty', City got away with one there. Bennett definitely fouled Hadergjonaj, although he did go down too easily. People on here would be livid if the roles had been reversed and the same thing had happened at the other end, that's for sure.

I saw it on Match of the Day this morning. They freeze-framed it also. Fair tackle and no penalty was the verdict. Theirs and mine.

As for Huddersfield's 'penalty', City got away with one there. Bennett definitely fouled Hadergjonaj, although he did go down too easily. People on here would be livid if the roles had been reversed and the same thing had happened at the other end, that's for sure.
    The MOTD analysis, although I was half asleep was limited.

The Huddersfield penalty was overruled as the linesman felt Bennett had been fouled first.

They didn’t even mention that.

As for ours, watching it over and over again the Huddersfield defender doesn’t take the ball at all - he takes Hoillet’s heel and Hoillet is actually the one who contacts the ball.

I’ve posted the point of contact on the other site as I don’t know how to do it on here.

Not that it matters. It’s done now and doesn’t hide the fact we were poor and lucky to get a point

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    "Cardiff team can look clumsy, musclebound Goliaths trying to come to terms with sprightly and moble David’s, except this time Huddersfield weren’t particularly sprightly and mobile – we just made them look that way."

Couldn't have put it better...