+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barry town- top of Welsh premier league at the split. Thanks to city academy

Barry town- top of Welsh premier league at the split. Thanks to city academy

Well 3 big players in robbie patten, macauley southam hales and Curtis watkins. All 3 of them spent a long long time with cardiff (probably too long)z

Watkins has probably found his level but is a tidy player. Theres been a lot of league clubs watching patten and southam hales and i cant for the life of me work out how they arent in the professional game. Shame neither was ever given a chance by city.

Tom fry (son of chris) another Cardiff connection playing well also- signed from airdrie in the summer.

TNS will still probably end up winning it, but for the big spending full time professional club to be pushed aside by barry (low spending and all part time, mainly youngsters) is a tremendous sporting story.

So the Cardiff city academy may not be benefiting cardiff city- but is benefiting the welsh premier league.

Re: Barry town- top of Welsh premier league at the split. Thanks to city academy

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Well 3 big players in robbie patten, macauley southam hales and Curtis watkins. All 3 of them spent a long long time with cardiff (probably too long)z

Watkins has probably found his level but is a tidy player. Theres been a lot of league clubs watching patten and southam hales and i cant for the life of me work out how they arent in the professional game. Shame neither was ever given a chance by city.

Tom fry (son of chris) another Cardiff connection playing well also- signed from airdrie in the summer.

TNS will still probably end up winning it, but for the big spending full time professional club to be pushed aside by barry (low spending and all part time, mainly youngsters) is a tremendous sporting story.

So the Cardiff city academy may not be benefiting cardiff city- but is benefiting the welsh premier league.
    Robbie Patten was very unlucky with injuries in his latter years with us and I'd love you to be right about there being league interest in him - his brother Keenan has a chance I reckon, he's part of what is a good midfield for the current Academy team.

Best of luck to Barry for the rest of the season.

Re: Barry town- top of Welsh premier league at the split. Thanks to city academy

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Robbie Patten was very unlucky with injuries in his latter years with us and I'd love you to be right about there being league interest in him - his brother Keenan has a chance I reckon, he's part of what is a good midfield for the current Academy team.

I remember reading your reports a few years ago yes.

Connell Rawlinson from TNS last year has played every minute for port vale this season.

Christian doidge ex barry also and rhys healey of course has played in the English and Welsh (and Scottish!) premier leagues. Leon britton will be interested as hes dropped straight from the English premier to the welsh premier.

Ppint im making is if you are too good for the Welsh premier then that suggests you are looking at league 2 and above.

I think all the pitches being 4g has made a difference. As the ball rarely leaves the ground in the league. All good football.

I remember reading your reports a few years ago yes.

Connell Rawlinson from TNS last year has played every minute for port vale this season.

Christian doidge ex barry also and rhys healey of course has played in the English and Welsh (and Scottish!) premier leagues. Leon britton will be interested as hes dropped straight from the English premier to the welsh premier.

Ppint im making is if you are too good for the Welsh premier then that suggests you are looking at league 2 and above.
    We signed Ryan Price from TNS in the summer to prove your point (sorry about the Christmas smileys!

And i cant remember his name but i saw we loaned a player to TNS last week.

And i cant remember his name but i saw we loaned a player to TNS last week.
    Jack Bodenham, he's too old for the Under 18s now, so I'd say that's a good move for him.

I think all the pitches being 4g has made a difference. As the ball rarely leaves the ground in the league. All good football.
    Watched a bit of Barry vs Caernarfon a few weeks back and the pitch looked awful

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Watched a bit of Barry vs Caernarfon a few weeks back and the pitch looked awful
    Saw a few Barry games over the years,much was expected of Ryan Evans, why??

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    Saw a few Barry games over the years,much was expected of Ryan Evans, why??
    Um decent enough defender but not someone id ever have said could play any higher. Thats not something ive ever heard to be honest.

Patten looked a great prospect till he got injured, as TOBW said.

How's Clayton Green been looking? Ryan's brother, my lad played with him over 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/...town-1-5853877

Didnt warnock say he needs a right back?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Patten looked a great prospect till he got injured, as TOBW said.

How's Clayton Green been looking? Ryan's brother, my lad played with him over 10 years ago.
    Strong guy!

Him and robbie sit in front of the back 4. Id say robbie is better player overall but they complement each other well.

Rhys Abbruzzesse joined from city on deadline day also. Anyone know much about him?

https://www.facebook.com/51465856860...036732?sfns=cl

Rhys Abbruzzesse joined from city on deadline day also. Anyone know much about him?

Yes, his surname scores 150 in Scrabble

Good player. A technically gifted, if lightweight, full back who likes to push on and link up with his wide midfielder. No idea why Warnock wasn't interested.

Good player. A technically gifted, if lightweight, full back who likes to push on and link up with his wide midfielder. No idea why Warnock wasn't interested.
    He always seemed to have good feedback from Paul in his updates

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    He always seemed to have good feedback from Paul in his updates
    Definitely. I was only being sarcastic in my last sentence there, he's a good player and I enjoyed watching him. TOBW ribs me because I said he hadn't grown enough, he felt it wasn't an issue, but it just seemed he hadn't developed any kind of physical presence and while that's not the be all and end all of being a good footballer I just couldn't see a way he was going to progress here.

He got tried in a couple of different positions last season but he seemed to be getting increasingly frustrated at what was being asked of him, even as a full back. After ten years here, presumably being encouraged to get forward at every opportunity, he was suddenly being expected to take a touch and then bang it 50 yards up the middle to a non existent target man or up the channel to some trialist who was expecting it to his feet. Absolute madness. Hopefully Barry will play to his strengths, if they do then they've made a good acquisition.

Definitely. I was only being sarcastic in my last sentence there, he's a good player and I enjoyed watching him. TOBW ribs me because I said he hadn't grown enough, he felt it wasn't an issue, but it just seemed he hadn't developed any kind of physical presence and while that's not the be all and end all of being a good footballer I just couldn't see a way he was going to progress here.

He got tried in a couple of different positions last season but he seemed to be getting increasingly frustrated at what was being asked of him, even as a full back. After ten years here, presumably being encouraged to get forward at every opportunity, he was suddenly being expected to take a touch and then bang it 50 yards up the middle to a non existent target man or up the channel to some trialist who was expecting it to his feet. Absolute madness. Hopefully Barry will play to his strengths, if they do then they've made a good acquisition.
    Do you think he was showing more talent than coxe? Our academy has been frustrating and it just feels these lads are not going to get a chance no matter how good they are looking in from the outside

Well done the Linnets. Or whatever they're called these days.

Jenner Park Massive.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Do you think he was showing more talent than coxe? Our academy has been frustrating and it just feels these lads are not going to get a chance no matter how good they are looking in from the outside
    I'm not wandering into that cul-de-sac with you, not only will I miss the game but I'll probably be late for work tomorrow too.

I think full back is probably the most glaring example of the difference between how Warnock sees the game and how the youth coaches (and most of us, I assume) see it. So many posters say we need a proper right back but what constitutes 'proper'? Someone who can defend, first and foremost, or someone who bombs forward all game and puts great crosses in? Warnock wants the first while our youth system relentlessly produces the second, it defies logic but what's the answer?

I don't know how much of barry you have seen but he sounds perfect for barry.

That's exactly how barry play and its no coincidence half the team has been produced by the city academy!

Barry are part time but connahs quay and tns are full time so barry have had to try something different to compete. Young hungry players who want a platform to get back into the professional leagues seems to be working for all parties at the moment.

After watching Cardiff Met v Barry last year I can safely say Barry Town fans are some of my favourite in football:

"Your fans are your mums and dads"
    "Fail all your resits, you're going to fail all your resits"
    "Barry-ce-lona"

I believe their entire squad is Welsh this year too and they're helping players get back into the football league and Welsh youth set-up. Keep going Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    After watching Cardiff Met v Barry last year I can safely say Barry Town fans are some of my favourite in football:

"Your fans are your mums and dads"
    "Fail all your resits, you're going to fail all your resits"
    "Barry-ce-lona"

I believe their entire squad is Welsh this year too and they're helping players get back into the football league and Welsh youth set-up. Keep going Barry.
    Yes barry have a song for every player. Drums, horns, sirens, bells the lot!

You are spot on on the philosophy. I mentioned macauley southam hales the ex city right back in the OP- should be some news on him in next day or so.

your lad chris Hugh on the scoresheet for Wales futsal in there 3-2 win against Ireland over in Moldova father