+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I don't understand the clamour for a wing back when we need creative players

I don't understand the clamour for a wing back when we need creative players

By releasing Matt Connolly we're obviously creating the squad space for the wing back (& I guess parking Peltier at the same time)

But for me the defence does just enough (except against the top 6).

If we're in for 3 players, them my priority would be 2 out & out strikers and another midfielder to get the ball to them.

We're going to avoid relegation by scoring goals & bringing 1 c/f in & thinking that the problem is fixed isn't enough.

Re: I don't understand the clamour for a wing back when we need creative players

So many of our attacks break down when Manga gets on the ball. Personally, I think he should be inside and then get a right back who can give us some width. I think we should be looking to get a full back, centre mid and a striker. How he fits them into a side, I'm not sure but I think a right back is a must (as are the other two).

Re: I don't understand the clamour for a wing back when we need creative players

Manga is just about good enough defensively at right back. The problem is what happens when we need him to bring the ball forward.

Signing a wing back also gives us the option of playing 3-5-2 or 5-3-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    So many of our attacks break down when Manga gets on the ball. Personally, I think he should be inside and then get a right back who can give us some width. I think we should be looking to get a full back, centre mid and a striker. How he fits them into a side, I'm not sure but I think a right back is a must (as are the other two).
    Broadmoor or Parkhurst?

I can't see us buying 2 strikers

I'm surprised you say this. So many teams use their full backs as attacking outlets these days. (Though less probably than 5 years ago in some respect)
    However for a team like us who when we do attack tend to do so from wide areas I think it's essential that we have full backs who are at least comfortable on the ball and have it in their locker to overlap and put a good ball into the box.

We have Gunnarsson and Arter in midfield so if we opt for a 4-2-3-1 or even if we play with 3 at the back then we must use our full backs to support our wingers.

Warnock is quick to point out how isolated our full backs are when Josh Murphy isn't busting his balls to get back but he doesn't seem so concerned with how isolated Murphy is when he's expected to take half a team on and score goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I can't see us buying 2 strikers
    I don't see us buying one ,especially European ones

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'm surprised you say this. So many teams use their full backs as attacking outlets these days. (Though less probably than 5 years ago in some respect)
    However for a team like us who when we do attack tend to do so from wide areas I think it's essential that we have full backs who are at least comfortable on the ball and have it in their locker to overlap and put a good ball into the box.

We have Gunnarsson and Arter in midfield so if we opt for a 4-2-3-1 or even if we play with 3 at the back then we must use our full backs to support our wingers.

Warnock is quick to point out how isolated our full backs are when Josh Murphy isn't busting his balls to get back but he doesn't seem so concerned with how isolated Murphy is when he's expected to take half a team on and score goals!

I agree.