+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: David Wagner

David Wagner

I know this may sound strange but if Warnock is moving on at the end of the season,I wouldn’t mind this guy coming in.
    Much less money to work with than Warnock but there is little doubt Huddersfield played much better football than us last Saturday and, given a decent striker, would have beaten us quite easily.

Re: David Wagner

Not a bad shout

I'd like Wagner here once NW decides to finally hang up his quotes. That said I think NW is more likely to win us games than Wagner...

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I'd like Wagner here once NW decides to finally hang up his quotes. That said I think NW is more likely to win us games than Wagner...
    The fact that Wagner walked away now suggests to me he hasn’t got the resilience when the going gets tough

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I know this may sound strange but if Warnock is moving on at the end of the season,I wouldn’t mind this guy coming in.
    Much less money to work with than Warnock but there is little doubt Huddersfield played much better football than us last Saturday and, given a decent striker, would have beaten us quite easily.
    The fact that they haven't got a decent striker has to fall on his shoulders though, surely? Two expensive signings in Mounie and Depoitre and neither of them have really looked like doing much there.

I think someone posted some thoughts from a Huddersfield forum on here before which were widely criticising Wagner's transfer activity - mainly signing players in positions that they were already doing ok in and neglecting key areas that they were struggling in.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The fact that Wagner walked away now suggests to me he hasn’t got the resilience when the going gets tough
    You do realise that " leaving by mutual consent" means he's been sacked

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    He wasn’t sacked. He walked.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    Not in this case.

According to the Guardian he offered to leave at the end of the season, and it was then decided it would be better if he left now.

"For those who actually took the time to read the accompanying statement, it was soon clear the agreement on this parting of the ways seemed genuinely reciprocal. The conversation that ultimately led to his departure was initiated by Wagner, who offered to stand down at the end of the season citing his need for a break “from the rigours of football management”. It was eventually decided between the hierarchy and manager that it would be best for the club if he left immediately. Now they find themselves marooned at the bottom of the Premier League without the man who masterminded their unlikely passage to the top tier. One of top-flight football’s few genuinely warm and gloopy romances has come to an amicable but ultimately sad end."

Sounds like the sack.

Reading a few other reports i may have been a bit quick to jump in. Apologies to WJ99

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The fact that they haven't got a decent striker has to fall on his shoulders though, surely? Two expensive signings in Mounie and Depoitre and neither of them have really looked like doing much there.

I think someone posted some thoughts from a Huddersfield forum on here before which were widely criticising Wagner's transfer activity - mainly signing players in positions that they were already doing ok in and neglecting key areas that they were struggling in.
    Everyone's missing the point except this guy

Does he have less money to spend? Thought our wages were lowest in division, even lower than Huddersfield.

Wagner has made a big impression but he'll have to show if he can be more effective with a bigger budget. His record of not being able to score in each of the play-off games and struggling to score in the premier league may have to be answered in interviews.

Spoke to a Huddesfield supporter on Saturday and he said Wagner was a great guy and motivator but his Summer signings were rubbish and couldn’t get into team, sounds familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Spoke to a Huddesfield supporter on Saturday and he said Wagner was a great guy and motivator but his Summer signings were rubbish and couldn’t get into team, sounds familiar?
    After our game up there at the start of the season I was talking to some of their fans over a pint, they were fuming that he’d signed 9 players pre season yet not one were in the side. Whether they were exaggerating I don’t know but the consensus was he’d wasted a lot of money in dead beats.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Everyone's missing the point except this guy
    I would make two points.

1. Warnock has also spent money and made signings where we do not necessarily need strengthening.
    2. Who do you think would be lining up to come here.?

The way they played Saturday, with a very limited budget, shows that it is possible to play premiership football.

I would make two points.

1. Warnock has also spent money and made signings where we do not necessarily need strengthening.
    2. Who do you think would be lining up to come here.?

The way they played Saturday, with a very limited budget, shows that it is possible to play premiership football.
    I don't doubt that but he has no eye for talent. Good signings is a key part of the job and something he evidently isn't very good at. For that reason alone I would not want him at our club.