+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling shite

Re: Feeling shite

Don't lose Hope mate. Plenty of good advice in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm off to see the GP next week. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step etc...
    Well done mate. A friend of mine was suffering and we had no idea until he opened up to us all in a long text one day. Now he's got a support network he knows he can turn to any time day or night who'll listen or just keep him company. Don't bottle anything up, share pal

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Been going through depression and anxiety for a while now myself, I can't offer any advice as it's not something I've really dealt with despite trying much.

I've always put off going to speak to the GP or counselling as I don't feel comfortable talking about these things face to face. However it's only getting worse and I shall be seeing the GP soon. A close friend has also recommended counselling and said it worked very well for her brother in law, just seems a bit American but maybe they have these things right.

Good luck with it.
    Counselling isn't for everyone, mate and being a bit sceptical of it is fine (I was)... but you won't know until you give it a chance. I've had depression for about 15 years and I'm only 32. It's a constant battle. I can go months without any issues but it will always creep up on me at some point when I'm not coping. I've been on medication loads of times and I've had counselling which I found useful, once I found the right counsellor (which is the most important thing).

If you're going to consider it, the NHS waiting list is approximately 4-6 months, so I'd recommend private counselling if you can afford it. The BACP website is the best place to look for a local one https://www.bacp.co.uk/search/Therapists?q=cardiff

Sadly there's no cure for feeling shite and it can be a long, hard battle to just try to live a 'normal' life. Only my friends and family would have any idea that I suffer with it as I'm good at hiding it (or so I think). I'm going back on medication myself next week having been off them for a year - sometimes it just helps to get through a rough patch.

As has been said numerous times in this thread so far, the best thing to do is talk about your problems. My biggest fault is that I sometimes bottle things up and feel ashamed of being depressed and that's when I'm at my worst.

If you or anyone else has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Oh yeah, I'm now studying to become a counsellor too haha.

Try www.stepiau.org click on the RED tab and access Self Help Leaflets

Local Cardiff & Vale website

GP can refer you to PMHSS for additional support

The OP firstly needs to see his GP. While I don't always agree with pill popping anti depressants can be very effective although they take a couple of weeks to have effect. Depression is a terrible thing and can play havoc with your mind so any help going should be seized on including counselling. Some great advice on here. Depression is very common and there is a lot of help out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Counselling isn't for everyone, mate and being a bit sceptical of it is fine (I was)... but you won't know until you give it a chance. I've had depression for about 15 years and I'm only 32. It's a constant battle. I can go months without any issues but it will always creep up on me at some point when I'm not coping. I've been on medication loads of times and I've had counselling which I found useful, once I found the right counsellor (which is the most important thing).

If you're going to consider it, the NHS waiting list is approximately 4-6 months, so I'd recommend private counselling if you can afford it. The BACP website is the best place to look for a local one https://www.bacp.co.uk/search/Therapists?q=cardiff

Sadly there's no cure for feeling shite and it can be a long, hard battle to just try to live a 'normal' life. Only my friends and family would have any idea that I suffer with it as I'm good at hiding it (or so I think). I'm going back on medication myself next week having been off them for a year - sometimes it just helps to get through a rough patch.

As has been said numerous times in this thread so far, the best thing to do is talk about your problems. My biggest fault is that I sometimes bottle things up and feel ashamed of being depressed and that's when I'm at my worst.

Brilliant thanks for the information, 6 months is a long time so I will have a look at the private ones. As you say got to give it a go or I won't know.

Good luck with the studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Sorry mate! Didn’t read this before now. Some good advice there! There are no unanimous answer for what helpes one or the other. But one tend to feel alone struggling. Another myth, becouse life goes in cycles and we all struggle from time to time. My advice is, if you have experience going through tough times, you know what will make it better. And either if you do or you don’t, there are no shame sharing and seeking professional help. Sometimes all is needed is sorting out a few conflicting thoughts. Sometimes, or most times, it is feeling compassion. And sometimes it is feeling challenged. It’s all about feeling home, part of something, mastering something and resilience. If anything, read “antonovsky, Sence of coherence” But it is one of two choices. Either you know what to do, or get help sorting it out. And that is all it is. Sorting it out.
    It’s all ****ed up, and no need feeling bad about it!
    It’s all ****ed up and illogical. Don’t feel bad about it, just look for better ways!

Has anyone on here ever felt down? I mean really down in a bad place? How do you get out of it?
    You’ve got all the advice you need on here so I won’t add to it. I hope you are able to sort out your marital difficulties and even if you don’t life will continue and in time you will move on. My wife walked away back in 1991. I was devastated. I have been with my partner now for 23 years and am very happy being with her. It’s life. Both good and bad. Happy and sad.

All the best

I haven't got any advice for you sorry mate, I'd just like to wish you all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    You’ve got all the advice you need on here so I won’t add to it. I hope you are able to sort out your marital difficulties and even if you don’t life will continue and in time you will move on. My wife walked away back in 1991. I was devastated. I have been with my partner now for 23 years and am very happy being with her. It’s life. Both good and bad. Happy and sad.

All the best
    Same thing here,when you are down you think you are the only person like it.Life can suck but in the blink of an eye all is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    I haven't got any advice for you sorry mate, I'd just like to wish you all the best.
    This from me aswell. Best wishes 💪

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Me too. My only advice is to do a bit of exercise if at all possible as it always picks me up. A long walk, gentle jog, a swim... Basically anything to get your heart rate up for a few mins regularly can make a real difference to your general wellbeing. I really wish you well-this board can be hugely supportive so please do take up people on their offers of help. All the best bluebird!

Sorry Ito hear of your problems, and sorry I can't help directly.

I've gone through a lot (stroke, broken bones, diabetes, arthritis, prostate cancer), but I've had my family to prop me up.

Please, listen to the advice given here, watch a few Billy Connoly vids to give temp relief, and DON'T DESPAIR.

Good luck mate.

My only advice is don't forget that stat which says that one in four people will suffer from a mental illness at some time in their life - that brings home the fact that, although you may feel alone, there are plenty of people around who have or are going through the same as you and it also means that there are plenty of people around who are qualified to help you through it.

Best of luck.

Whether or not your friendship/family groups are talking about it, you'll probably find that several people you speak to every week are either going through something similar or have been previously. Some of these won't be able to help because they're still dealing with things themselves but some will be able to offer a good amount of support. Try to ensure that you're getting as good nights sleep as possible (plenty of tips out there including shutting off computers before you start to go to bed), keep exercising and looking after yourself as much as possible.

Are you getting any support with your marriage? It might be that you need a bit of time looking after yourself before looking into this.

And you can always come on here anytime and unload your feelings too if it helps.

For all the bickering and shit on mb's, you've seen from the replies that we are all behind you and will help if we can. Hopefully that is of some benefit.

All the best mate.

Keep your chin up mate, and all others who are suffering.
    May you all find peace.

Been to the GP, they're going to run blood tests to try and rule out anything that is going on physically i.e. anaemia leading to lack of sleep leading to low mood.
    It could be something like that, or stress related, or depression.
    The journey has begun.

Good luck:

Been to the GP, they're going to run blood tests to try and rule out anything that is going on physically i.e. anaemia leading to lack of sleep leading to low mood.
    The journey has begun.
    That's good news. Just remember, keep making good choices. Try to avoid alcohol (if you think that could be a problem). Keep yourself occupied. And try to maintain physical fitness. Even walking can be a great help.

The journey has begun.
    Good luck mate, you've made the first step and that's the most important one.

All the best, and fingers crossed that you feel better soon.

The journey has begun.
    good luck again, they say the 1st step is the hardest, though maybe you posting about it on here was the 1st step, who knows

as El Gwapo said, you will find someone to help on here, even if its some random loon, but seriously, with a few exceptions, we are all a good bunch on here

Good luck fella. Having been through it I can only echo some of the good advice you’ve already received.

When youre feeling depressed and anxious I know the thought of just stepping outside the door is a massive struggle but please try. Even if it’s just for a walk to clear your head and get some fresh air. Sitting in the house alone dwelling on things can send you spiralling deeper.