+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Feeling shite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Feeling shite

Been going through depression and anxiety for a while now myself, I can't offer any advice as it's not something I've really dealt with despite trying much.

I've always put off going to speak to the GP or counselling as I don't feel comfortable talking about these things face to face. However it's only getting worse and I shall be seeing the GP soon. A close friend has also recommended counselling and said it worked very well for her brother in law, just seems a bit American but maybe they have these things right.

Good luck with it.

Heisenberg

Re: Feeling shite

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Been going through depression and anxiety for a while now myself, I can't offer any advice as it's not something I've really dealt with despite trying much.

I've always put off going to speak to the GP or counselling as I don't feel comfortable talking about these things face to face. However it's only getting worse and I shall be seeing the GP soon. A close friend has also recommended counselling and said it worked very well for her brother in law, just seems a bit American but maybe they have these things right.

Good luck with it.
    Counselling isn't for everyone, mate and being a bit sceptical of it is fine (I was)... but you won't know until you give it a chance. I've had depression for about 15 years and I'm only 32. It's a constant battle. I can go months without any issues but it will always creep up on me at some point when I'm not coping. I've been on medication loads of times and I've had counselling which I found useful, once I found the right counsellor (which is the most important thing).

If you're going to consider it, the NHS waiting list is approximately 4-6 months, so I'd recommend private counselling if you can afford it. The BACP website is the best place to look for a local one https://www.bacp.co.uk/search/Therapists?q=cardiff

Sadly there's no cure for feeling shite and it can be a long, hard battle to just try to live a 'normal' life. Only my friends and family would have any idea that I suffer with it as I'm good at hiding it (or so I think). I'm going back on medication myself next week having been off them for a year - sometimes it just helps to get through a rough patch.

As has been said numerous times in this thread so far, the best thing to do is talk about your problems. My biggest fault is that I sometimes bottle things up and feel ashamed of being depressed and that's when I'm at my worst.

If you or anyone else has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Oh yeah, I'm now studying to become a counsellor too haha.