+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Four day working week

Four day working week

Work four days, get paid for five. This is biggest company yet to give it a go, a trial in NZ last year was hugely successful. It says in this article though that "research that found almost half of workers want a four-day week" which begs the question why the hell don't the other 50%?!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-four-day-week

Re: Four day working week

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Work four days, get paid for five. This is biggest company yet to give it a go, a trial in NZ last year was hugely successful. It says in this article though that "research that found almost half of workers want a four-day week" which begs the question why the hell don't the other 50%?!

They want a three day week

I do a four day week. Condensed my days into 4 x 9hrs from 5 x 7.24. Its amazing and can't imagine going back to five days now. Always have leave to carry over because I never feel like I need a cheeky day here and there because I know I have a long weekend every week.

I tried asking a a previous employer if I could work the same hours but over 4 days instead of 5. They weren’t interested. I now work somewhere else that’s much more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They want a three day week

Have you guys heard of the bullshit job theory,

It is important to note it does not try and be condescending about your job but rather, how automation and IT has increased workforce efficiency by 300% average, yet we have the same amount of people working the same amount of hours. Case studies of administration and middle management show workers can often finish a days workload in 45 mins, leading them to work at a depressingly slow pace to get through the day, often pretending to work by just walking around building for hours a day.

When efficient and proactive people have questioned upper management and asked for more work load, they are often politely told to shut up because their manager only has their job to 'manage' you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHx5rePmz2Y

A lot of folk are already on unofficial 4 and 1/2 days ,just look at Friday afternoon roads around 3pm , empty spaces in business car park after 2pm , pub attendances early Friday evening .
    Try booking a meeting with someone on Friday after midday .

When I was down the mines I worked 25 hrs a day 8 days a week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Pay must have been tidy.

My brother-in-law does 4 x 10 hours a week. Then does another 10 hours overtime at least 40 weeks a year. Cha-ching!

Luxury. We had it tough.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Who local government

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Luxury. We had it tough.
    you were lucky

I switched to a 4 day week Nov'17. Still do the same hours (56 / wk) but over 4 days instead of 5. Makes he'll of a difference, although I'm crap at using Friday's constructively.

No one ever said on their deathbed, “I wish I’d worked longer hours”.

You only have one life

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I switched to a 4 day week Nov'17. Still do the same hours (56 / wk) but over 4 days instead of 5. Makes he'll of a difference, although I'm crap at using Friday's constructively.
    You work 14 hours per day?

A mate of mine who works for Royal Mail, works a 12 hr Saturday and a 12 hr Sunday and is off Monday to Friday, still earning a full weeks pay.
    Last edited by William Treseder; 18-01-19 at 20:38. Reason: Grammar

I've done 4 days for some time now. I only do 35 hours a week could do a lot more but I'm not desperate for the money.

Lots of people think it's harder till they do it, It helps if you got something to do i used to play golf or tennis but now I've got a young family it's nice to spend time with them .

It makes a difference as you don't have an additional trip to work in rush hour and every week you feel like you've had a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    You work 14 hours per day?
    This is why Des is lined up to buy the club off Vincent.

Barely out of nappies and looking to down tools , no wonder the kids are all whinging bastards, no moral compass

4 days a week? No thanks. I'll stick to my 2.5 days/18.5 hours

Yep. 6am - 8pm Mon - Thurs. That does include travel time, it's typically 11 hours at work & 3 on the road each day. I'm abroad a lot as well which means travelling on Sundays &/or Fridays as well. I changed roles in 2016, prior to that I was doing 70 hours per week.

It's on a fixed salary. It suits me. Getting to evening games can be a challenge!

A mate of mine who works for Royal Mail, works a 12 hr Saturday and a 12 hr Sunday and is off Monday to Friday, still earning a full weeks pay.
    Weekend worker ,bloody long shifts in a period where most folk are off ,it doesn't suit everyone , I think they work party into the Monday as well ,the weekend hours are considered of more value,hence the total hourage being less than a normal working week ,those weekend hours were probably worked as overtime hours years ago ,so a working hours deal has been done I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    No one ever said on their deathbed, “I wish I’d worked longer hours”.

You only have one life
    It should be a free choice , available longer hours were the difference to my family having a nice life or a tough one .