+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Car Insurance question

O/T Car Insurance question

Scraped the wing on a car earlier, my fault. Left tel no. on windscreen. Owner has called me and I said i'd pop round to exchange insurance details. She asked 'what do you need my [her] insurance for ??

Now, I haven't had a prang for yrs but always thought that whatever the rights and wrongs on anyone's side, BOTH insurance details are needed. If she doesn't have insurance, presumably she can't claim against my insurance , and there's no point in my giving her my details ???

Thanks AQM

Re: O/T Car Insurance question

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Scraped the wing on a car earlier, my fault. Left tel no. on windscreen. Owner has called me and I said i'd pop round to exchange insurance details. She asked 'what do you need my [her] insurance for ??

Now, I haven't had a prang for yrs but always thought that whatever the rights and wrongs on anyone's side, BOTH insurance details are needed. If she doesn't have insurance, presumably she can't claim against my insurance , and there's no point in my giving her my details ???

Thanks AQM
    I think if you give her your insurance details then she will give them to her insurer. You just need to let your insurer (and the police I think) know about the accident, and that the lady's insurer will be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I think if you give her your insurance details then she will give them to her insurer. You just need to let your insurer (and the police I think) know about the accident, and that the lady's insurer will be in touch.
    No need to inform the plod if no-one is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    No need to inform the plod if no-one is injured.
    I wasn't sure what the law was on driving away from an accident without informing the police. Your version sounds sensible but that often isn't what is required. I think you are right though

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Thanks AQM
    Yeah u exchange. The companies then decide who is at fault.

If you inform the Police you may be done for driving without due care and attention .

If she doesn't give you her details tell your insurance company. They have details on whether the car is insured or not, and who with. If it is insured or not they will contact her insurers, her insurer will then contact her.

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
    You can check on above link

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Offer to get it fixed yousrself. It will be cheaper for you in the long run

Thanks for all your replies. Met up and are sorting out without insurers. [He did have insurance !]