+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Neil but goodbye

Re: Thanks Neil but goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Disagree. Bennett isn't particularly comfortable on the ball, but Warnock doesn't stop him from crossing the half way line. We've got ourselves into trouble several times this season by giving the ball away with our full backs in advanced positions.
    Rubbish!! He picks out and out wingers for starters so the full backs are not encouraged to get forward.

Even the wingers he picks are picked first on their ability to defend that’s how defensive he’s gone.

Perhaps Harry Arter was playing with better players at Bournemouth.
    Perhaps he was encouraged by a positive manager to not treat the ball like a hot potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Most managers that turn things around as quickly as Warnock did ( although i don't believe that we were as bad as some think) have done something revolutionary-In most cases the playing staff have become more football intelligent with a few additions added to the squad. Warnock did do something different, he decided on playing with wingers and to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. In most cases this wouldn't be enough, i believe that Warnocks man management and belief in players makes them give that extra 10%, and that, along with the implementation of a no nonsense approach can be affective at Championship level. But what is there when it doesn't work-What's the plan b? If we go down it will take another manager years to put things in place where we have a style and system that's sustainable.
    That's fine but I suspect there are fans of plenty of clubs in The Championship who would just prefer a chance to see their team play in the Premier League over the luxury of concerning themselves with plan b's and legacies. I think we're in danger of becoming a pretty ungrateful bunch for the job he's done here.

Perhaps Harry Arter was playing with better players at Bournemouth.
    I've said that, but then Warnock must have known that to get the best from Arter he needs better ball players around him. I don't think people realise how poor it is as we're still in shock after last season. It comes to something when fans are lauding the odd glimpse from a bang average Victor Camarasa-It shows how starved we've been of any kind of creativity since the days of Jason Koumas.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That's fine but I suspect there are fans of plenty of clubs in The Championship who would just prefer a chance to play in the Premier League over concerning themselves with plan-b's and legacies. I think we're in danger of becoming a pretty ungrateful bunch for the job he's done here.
    Fair point, although my concern isn't the fans of other clubs. His football is atrocious and it doesn't have to be that way.

I've said that, but then Warnock must have known that to get the best from Arter he needs better ball players around him. I don't think people realise how poor it is as we're still in shock after last season. It comes to something when fans are lauding the odd glimpse from a bang average Victor Camarasa-It shows how starved we've been of any kind of creativity since the days of Jason Koumas.
    We had that in Peter Whittingham until Slade ruined him

Peltier, Bennett, Morrison, Manga, Richards, Connolly, Ralls, Gunnarsson, Harris and Zohore were all at the club when Warnock joined and we were in the relegation zone of the Championship. Bamba and Hoilett were free agents. Explain to me how Warnock these players promoted to the Premier League 18 months later while simultaneously making them worse at football.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I did.
    I don’t believe for a minute that bha bid 18 million for kenny Ken, no way, after scoring a few goals in the championship. Vincent would have swam back here to sell him for that.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t believe for a minute that bha bid 18 million for kenny Ken, no way, after scoring a few goals in the championship. Vincent would have swam back here to sell him for that.....
    He can’t swim

Fair point, although my concern isn't the fans of other clubs. His football is atrocious and it doesn't have to be that way.
    His football is shocking but when you’re winning, like last season, then results mask the lack of “football”

This season where we are getting neither the result or the performance then the turgid football becomes more of an issue.

Peltier, Bennett, Morrison, Manga, Richards, Connolly, Ralls, Gunnarsson, Harris and Zohore were all at the club when Warnock joined and we were in the relegation zone of the Championship. Bamba and Hoilett were free agents. Explain to me how Warnock these players promoted to the Premier League 18 months later while simultaneously making them worse at football.
    Because he's a brilliant man manager and implements a style that doesn't allow creative teams time on the ball, he'll give up possession and stick tem men behind the ball, bully them into submission and hope that our pace out wide or on the break can do the opposition. Players haven't become better, they've just fitted into his system, which isn't fit for purpose at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    His football is shocking but when you’re winning, like last season, then results mask the lack of “football”

This season where we are getting neither the result or the performance then the turgid football becomes more of an issue.
    Agree. I was moaning last season as well It doesn't have to be this way. I'm really grateful for what Warnock has done in galvanising the club, but the common denominator in failure at this level is him.

We had that in Peter Whittingham until Slade ruined him
    Malky ruined Whittingham. I remember an interview with them where Malky apparently kept showing Whitts a video of him tracking back and making an excellent defensive tackle. Jones didn't burden Whitts with too much defensive responsibility and we had a 20 goal a season midfielder. Under Malky, Whitts had to become a team player who put a shift in. The goals dried up and, I reckon, his confidence.

Because he's a brilliant man manager and implements a style that doesn't allow creative teams time on the ball, he'll give up possession and stick tem men behind the ball, bully them into submission
    It's a tactic that has been surprisingly successful this season. Against the top 6 clubs in the country, we have only conceded a miserly 25 goals in 7 games.

Thinking back to last season, there are games where you think all the criticism thrown at Warnock is justified like Boro at home, and a couple more, but there were also games that showed his teams could play really good football like Aston Villa at home or Wolves away. He might be less natural getting his sides to play good football and more readily slide into playing percentages but the idea that his teams don't play football or play turgid football is unfair.

There have been times this season where we've been very poor but its rarely lasted as long as this current down period; Warnock has always been able to lift our spirits with a good performance or good result to break up the negativity. We're honestly not that far away but until we have a proper RB option and another DM we're going to be up against it more often than not. It's too early to say money spent in summer wasn't spent well but I think we'd all like the Tomlin and Madine money back and spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Malky ruined Whittingham. I remember an interview with them where Malky apparently kept showing Whitts a video of him tracking back and making an excellent defensive tackle. Jones didn't burden Whitts with too much defensive responsibility and we had a 20 goal a season midfielder. Under Malky, Whitts had to become a team player who put a shift in. The goals dried up and, I reckon, his confidence.
    Nah, Whitt’s still done the business under Malky, albeit an adapted role to that under Jones. He was integral in both of Malkys full seasons. The first half of the promotion season he was still the main man.

Slade completely ruined him playing him in a 2 man centre midfield.

Because he's a brilliant man manager and implements a style that doesn't allow creative teams time on the ball, he'll give up possession and stick tem men behind the ball, bully them into submission and hope that our pace out wide or on the break can do the opposition. Players haven't become better, they've just fitted into his system, which isn't fit for purpose at this level.
    But has Warnock made them worse players? That is what you originally claimed.

Nah, Whitt’s still done the business under Malky, albeit an adapted role to that under Jones. He was integral in both of Malkys full seasons. The first half of the promotion season he was still the main man.

I would still have loved to have seen the Whittingham we had under Jones' last few seasons in the Prem 5 years ago, though.

Straight lines ruin every player.. Come on mate..

Two man midfield.. Exactly what Ole Said he did wrong. Both on Witts and Eikrem. Go figure,..

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Thinking back to last season, there are games where you think all the criticism thrown at Warnock is justified like Boro at home, and a couple more, but there were also games that showed his teams could play really good football like Aston Villa at home or Wolves away. He might be less natural getting his sides to play good football and more readily slide into playing percentages but the idea that his teams don't play football or play turgid football is unfair.

There have been times this season where we've been very poor but its rarely lasted as long as this current down period; Warnock has always been able to lift our spirits with a good performance or good result to break up the negativity. We're honestly not that far away but until we have a proper RB option and another DM we're going to be up against it more often than not. It's too early to say money spent in summer wasn't spent well but I think we'd all like the Tomlin and Madine money back and spent elsewhere.
    The Villa and Wolves game we’re both in August and the very start of that season. They were good performances but were the exception rather than the rule. As the season progressed the football we played become less and less which is fine when you’re trying to get across the line and Warnock reverting to type.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    Two man midfield.. Exactly what Ole Said he did wrong. Both on Witts and Eikrem. Go figure,..
    Oh **** off, stop turning every thread about Ole ffs you boring ****

Some of them yes. They can’t even do the basics anymore some of them.

Manga used to bring the ball out of defence, he can’t even pass it 10 yards now because theres no movement in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    Go figure Ole helped us finish bottom.

Yes, i believe he has. If the implementation is to bypass the midfield and do little in terms of creativity then i don't believe that footballers are going to get better. They may have more character but less ability.