+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How an old git sees it from now on

How an old git sees it from now on

I think we MUST win 5 of our last 15 games simply 1in 3. And that might not be enough at the end of the last day.
    It is doable but we cannot afford any slips in the big home games.

One third of our games left are against big6 so you can sensibly count those out.

We need to fight like tigers and get ahead in games like GBs did on Saturday.

Let’s start with a 1-2 away win at the Arse to kick off the escape and prove my post nonsense.

We can do it but it’s looking very hard and will be Neil’s greatest achievement as no one in football game him or us any chance.

Re: How an old git sees it from now on

It won't be a failure if we only win 3 of them and go down. We'll be stronger for it. Personally I'm going to enjoy the next few months and hope we can surprise everyone.

On Saturday Neil Warnock said that we have only been in front for a total of ninety four minutes this season - given that stat, it's amazing that we have the number of points we do. It's almost freakish that we have managed five wins while only holding a lead for the duration of one game and so you have to think that it's something we won't be able to sustain over the course of the rest of the season.
    I make it that the longest we've held on to a lead this season is after we went 3-2 up against Fulham with about a quarter of the match left and the only precedent we have for going 1-0 up in the first half was at Chelsea where we ended up being well beaten. If we could only score first with a goal in the opening forty five minutes in a home match, I'd be fairly confident we could hold on to that lead against any side outside of the top six - we definitely need to test that theory a few times before May if we are to have any chance of staying up.

At a stretch I have us down for 12 points from the next 15 games. We'll be relying on teams around us to have some big slip ups if we're to stay up.

It's going to be a roller coaster - highs and lows - and it depends on loads of factors, not least how the new signings bed in and whether we lose Arter etc. Don't just look at our program - Fulham have a terrible run of home games against some of the big six.

I think Fulham and Huddersfield have gone - so can we do better that Soton, Burnley, Crystal Palace and Brighton? We've got a fighting chance. When Warlock went down with Sheff Utd, it was a near thing and probably he would have pulled it off without the Tevez thing.

I'd like to think it's down to us and not what other teams do or don't do. Also probably 34/35 point will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It's going to be a roller coaster - highs and lows - and it depends on loads of factors, not least how the new signings bed in and whether we lose Arter etc. Don't just look at our program - Fulham have a terrible run of home games against some of the big six.

I think Fulham and Huddersfield have gone - so can we do better that Soton, Burnley, Crystal Palace and Brighton? We've got a fighting chance. When Warlock went down with Sheff Utd, it was a near thing and probably he would have pulled it off without the Tevez thing.

I'd like to think it's down to us and not what other teams do or don't do. Also probably 34/35 point will do it.
    Good god. This is a big shock and probably a first on here. I agree with absolutely everything you posted above. This is what I have been 'banging on about' all season. Its a pity that some others on here dont feel the same way and do nothing but criticise everything the players and manager do. We all need to get behind the team and manager now, to try to achieve safety. It was always going to be this way this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I agree that it seems Fulham and Huddersfield have gone.
    can we do better that Soton, Burnley, Crystal Palace and Brighton? No - but we only have to do better than ONE of them.
    I think 17th place will be on less than 34 points this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    It won't be a failure if we only win 3 of them and go down. We'll be stronger for it. Personally I'm going to enjoy the next few months and hope we can surprise everyone.
    Not having a dig but what makes you believe that? Arter and camarasa will be gone sala will likely be gone gunner will be gone Bamba will be turning 35 I think we’ll also lose Bennet and manga

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Not having a dig but what makes you believe that? Arter and camarasa will be gone sala will likely be gone gunner will be gone Bamba will be turning 35 I think we’ll also lose Bennet and manga
    I'm with you on this. If we go down, there's some potential major surgery to take place & probably a new management team and therefore style of play. Stoke are a good example, favourites to bounce straight back, retained the majority of their squad & 15th.

Players out of contract in the next 16 months:

BMurphy, Manga, Bamba, Connolly, Peltier, Richards, Arter, Camarasa, Gunnarsson, Damour, Harris, Zohore, Niasse, Ward, Healey & O'Keefe!

That's over half of the squad named for the 1st half of the season!

Staying up is the far better option. Go down and the chances of getting back up again are slim!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'm with you on this. If we go down, there's some potential major surgery to take place & probably a new management team and therefore style of play. Stoke are a good example, favourites to bounce straight back, retained the majority of their squad & 15th.

Players out of contract in the next 16 months:

BMurphy, Manga, Bamba, Connolly, Peltier, Richards, Arter, Camarasa, Gunnarsson, Damour, Harris, Zohore, Niasse, Ward, Healey & O'Keefe!

That's over half of the squad named for the 1st half of the season!

Staying up is the far better option. Go down and the chances of getting back up again are slim!
    You are all forgetting that if we do go down, we will be getting a minimum £55m parachute payment in the first year and another £60m over the following two years, if we dont go straight back up, which will enable us to retain the best of those players and sign better ones to be fully competitive. Of the list of players you give, probably only 5 or 6 would be wanted anyway, so replacing them would not be a major problem.

We can beat Chelsea at home. They are on the rot

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    On Saturday Neil Warnock said that we have only been in front for a total of ninety four minutes this season - given that stat, it's amazing that we have the number of points we do. It's almost freakish that we have managed five wins while only holding a lead for the duration of one game and so you have to think that it's something we won't be able to sustain over the course of the rest of the season.
    I make it that the longest we've held on to a lead this season is after we went 3-2 up against Fulham with about a quarter of the match left and the only precedent we have for going 1-0 up in the first half was at Chelsea where we ended up being well beaten. If we could only score first with a goal in the opening forty five minutes in a home match, I'd be fairly confident we could hold on to that lead against any side outside of the top six - we definitely need to test that theory a few times before May if we are to have any chance of staying up.
    Couldn't agree more, Bobsy.

Given how important the first goal often is (or in our case not), I'm surprised that we generally start games so passively. It's all about hoping to keep things quiet, players win their personal battles, then come out on top as the game wears on. It's an archaic tactic and one not suited at all to the Premier League. It works pretty well in the Championship, where players aren't as quick or strong as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    We can beat Chelsea at home. They are on the rot
    They'll sack their manager a few days before playing us and stuff us 5-0

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    They'll sack their manager a few days before playing us and stuff us 5-0
    Can we then have him?