+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Light aircraft gone down from Nantes to Cardiff near Guernsey last night?

Re: Light aircraft gone down from Nantes to Cardiff near Guernsey last night?

Does anyone have any idea of what the chances are of him being found? I can see Guernsey Police putting out updates but it just doesn't seem very hopeful at all.

Best wishes from across the bridge.
    I hope Sala and the other passengers and pilot are found safely.
    Very sad.

Virtually nil chance of him and pilot bring found alive, now. I hope I'm wrong but it will need a miracle now.

WalesOnline are quoting the chief executive of Channel Islands Air Search, who said that there could be a life raft if it was a controlled ditching.

Just listening to TalkSport where they had an expert pretty much say:

Training that pilots go through to fly one of these is far less understandably than a passanger plane. You can even apply at age of 17 to fly one of these.

Bad weather apparently doesn't pose a threat to a piper malibu (make of plane), and anyone trained to fly these planes know what conditions to fly in, so according to him weather shouldn't have been the cause, as they just do not fly in bad weather.

Also, there are no parachutes on these aircrafts at all. Nothing. So pilots are trained to be able to get the aircraft to the ground because of this. The pilot has a life jacket and oxygen if required. Passenger unlikely to have one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    This link has live reports

https://youtu.be/ht959x34xqE
    Fair point just made. If this was a controlled ditch, contact would have been made with ATC after requesting emergency landing. This does not sound like it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    WalesOnline are quoting the chief executive of Channel Islands Air Search, who said that there could be a life raft if it was a controlled ditching.
    "We were called out by Guernsey Coastguard at 8.30pm, just as the aircraft had dropped off the radar and we were over Alderney by about 9pm.

We stayed there until midnight before we flew back to Guernsey to change over the crew and refuel.

There was about 15 to 20 miles visibility so we could see quite a lot during the first search but the lifeboats found it quite difficult. That area is always quite rough but from 1,000 feet, we can see straight down. It was not that bad but at about 2 or 3 am wintry showers set in and the search was postponed. We went out again at 8am.

I am sure something will be found eventually. The plane was flying at 2,000ft when it dropped off the radar so it could have flown for about five or six miles before touching down.

But whether it was a controlled ditching or if it dived in, we just do not know. If it was a controlled ditching, you would expect to find a life-raft but if it was uncontrolled I expect an oil slick and wreckage may be found.”

I take a small amount of hope from the fact that you would expect an oil slick to be a lot more visible to searching planes and helicopters than a life raft.

No "mayday"? No emergency locator beacon? Getting desperate here...no phone call, presuming within signal range. All points to a catastrophic event.

This is just so surreal. I feel so sorry for the families of the Pilot and Sala as it just seems impossible for it to be true.

I’m still struggling to take this all in... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    "We were called out by Guernsey Coastguard at 8.30pm, just as the aircraft had dropped off the radar and we were over Alderney by about 9pm.

We stayed there until midnight before we flew back to Guernsey to change over the crew and refuel.

There was about 15 to 20 miles visibility so we could see quite a lot during the first search but the lifeboats found it quite difficult. That area is always quite rough but from 1,000 feet, we can see straight down. It was not that bad but at about 2 or 3 am wintry showers set in and the search was postponed. We went out again at 8am.

I am sure something will be found eventually. The plane was flying at 2,000ft when it dropped off the radar so it could have flown for about five or six miles before touching down.

But whether it was a controlled ditching or if it dived in, we just do not know. If it was a controlled ditching, you would expect to find a life-raft but if it was uncontrolled I expect an oil slick and wreckage may be found.”

I take a small amount of hope from the fact that you would expect an oil slick to be a lot more visible to searching planes and helicopters than a life raft.
    Fingers crossed this is the scenario. Can't get this out of my head. Hope both Sala and pilot are safe.

Only 28, for god sake. Absolutely tragic, struggling to understand this.

French Civil Aviation authority has confirmed Sala was on board.

How is this possible?!

Total and utter shock.
    Football matters not a jot at this time.

An extract of a navigational chart of the area:

Capture.jpg

Christ

Guernsey Police Twitter:

So far over 1,000sq miles have been searched by a total of five aircraft and two lifeboats. It is being co-ordinated by the Joint Emergency Services Control Centre.

There has been no trace of the aircraft.

The search is continuing.

those thing are bloody tiny.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-46

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    An extract of a navigational chart of the area:

Capture.jpg
    There seems to be a lot of land around if the plane was able to glide for 5 or 6 miles as quoted. But surely we'd have had word by now if they have landed.

Doesn't seem real. Praying for a miracle.

This is incredibly sad news. 28 years old and with exciting times ahead. Let us hope for a miracle.

I have been reading the local press in Nantes and there is an unconfirmed report, and I stress unconfirmed, that the plane had had some difficulty taking off from Nantes Atlantique Airport inasmuch as it had 2 or 3 attempts to do so.

Feeling physically sick about this......

This is ridiculous!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post

This is ridiculous!!
    My goodness - 3 or 4 times???

Very sad news

Twitter updates here from Guernsey Police.

https://twitter.com/guernseypolice/s...499897858?s=21