+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Light aircraft gone down from Nantes to Cardiff near Guernsey last night?

Re: Light aircraft gone down from Nantes to Cardiff near Guernsey last night?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anger is going to kick in after grief, I trust the club to back his family both financially & spiritually in the quest to find out the why & wherefores of this tragedy. I know it’s early days for the likes of me to shout the odds but it seems a right Micky Mouse way for anyone to fly at night across the English Channel in winter having heard a description of the aircraft, rephrase that it’s a right Micky Mouse way for anyone to fly anywhere in the thing. Hope when the dust settles there’ll be appropriate action taken, the whole travel procedure was completely & utterly amateur, I despair.
    I agree I went on one of these flights back in September very cheap to hire on out, and I would not fly out in either tne dark or winter, someone should took charge of tne situation in hindsight

Truly gutted. Hope they find the bodies at least, he's owed that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Bluebird View Post
    So it would now appear that our £15m record signing was being flown to Cardiff in a 35 year old piston aircraft at night ,in known icing conditions ,over water, in the depth of winter by a gas engineer who does parachute dropping on the weekends.

He held no commercial flying licence, had no instrument rating to allow him to fly in the airway system in controlled airspace,and in cloud if required.
    He also admitted his instrument flying skills were at best “rusty”
    Probably No immersion suits were being worn which they should have been for such a flight. I doubt he was even wearing a life jacket.

At best he was an enthusiastic amateur yet was entrusted by Emilio's agent to fly him to his new home despite being woefully under qualified to do so.

As a professsional pilot words fail me.

The more I read about the tragic event , the more I’m equally saddened and angry about how this situation was allowed to happen and I would also question the legality of the flight especially If the pilot had received payment to operate the flight on the agents behalf.
    Illegal on an aircraft operated on a private certificate of airworthiness category,and by a pilot who only held a private pilots licence.

If proved true this will have further implications for the aircrafts owner.

In order to save a few pennies the players agent has failed in his duty of care for his client.

The whole shoddy affair reeks of rank amateurism.

Emilio and his family deserved better.
    ===================================

Good Evening All

A lifetime Jack here but I felt compelled to post on here to express my total shock, disbelief but subsequently anger at this absolute tragic event and loss of life which would, on the face of it, appear to have been 100% avoidable and unnecessary.

I guess that until the wreckage/Black Box (if they had one on this apparently totally inadequate aircraft) is located and until a formal Air Crash investigation is concluded there will be many ‘theories’ etc as to what actually happened, the whys & wherefores as to who to ‘pin the blame on’ as it were.

Just like in any family bereavement, we all go through these emotions of sorrow, grief, disbelief, guilt and blame to ‘help’ us deal with the grieving process which is quite normal.

I just feel that right here and now the thoughts and prayers of all us ‘football fans’ should lie with Emiliano’s family and the family of the pilot who will be grieving most of all.

The rest can wait for another day.

God Bless you Both

A Swansea Jack

Shortly before the decision was made to end the search for the day on Wednesday, Sky Sports News spoke to Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman, who is in France.

Dalman has been attempting to piece together the timeline of events that led up to Sala's plane going missing over the English Channel and he confirmed that the Premier League club's offer to provide travel arrangements to bring Sala to Cardiff was declined by the player.

"We have looked into this quite thoroughly and it is quite evident that Cardiff has the responsibility to offer the player to make arrangements [for travel], which will be commercial flights," Dalman told SSN.

"That would have meant taking the train from Nantes to Paris, then Paris to Heathrow, then drive down [to Cardiff].

"The player's reaction to that was that he wanted to make his own arrangements which would be much quicker."

When asked for clarification over whether Sala had decided to make his own travel arrangements, Dalman added: "I believe so, everything points to that fact. Whether he did it from Nantes' point of view or with his agent, we are trying to ascertain that."

Mark McKay, one of Sala's intermediaries involved in the deal to bring him from Nantes to Cardiff, also stated he was involved in the player's travel arrangements.

"I can confirm that when Emiliano made myself and his agent Meissa N'Diaye aware that he wished to travel back to Nantes following his medical and signing on Friday, I began to look into arranging a private flight to take him to Nantes on Saturday morning," McKay said in a statement.

"That evening, it was confirmed a plane was available to fly Emiliano on Saturday which could remain in Nantes until he was due to return to Cardiff on Tuesday.

"I have been in contact with officials from Cardiff City FC and the player's agent over these difficult past few days and will continue to do so."
    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ff-for-the-day

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    So hard to take when this was so unavoidable

Who was on the plane?

The fact that Sala was on the flight is no longer in doubt. But the number of people on the flight remains uncertain. 20 Minutes are able to confirm that there were only two people aboard the plane: Emiliano Sala and the pilot. The latter individual was Dave Ibbotson, a 60-year-old Englishman from Leeds who has 3 children and is a gas engineer by trade.

He flew planes for several sky diving clubs in the United Kingdom and his YouTube account shows him flying planes in 2012. But the fact that he was flying the plane and why is a mystery: he was not registered on the flight manifest that was received by Nantes airport, according to 20 Minutes.

Was a second pilot due to be on the plane?

On Monday night, three people passed security checks at the Nantes-Atlantique airport. All three individuals were on the tarmac together. Only one pilot boarded the plane, Dave Ibbotson, who was not initially due to be on the plane. The third man, who was registered to be on the plane, is understood to have been Dave Henderson, a very experienced pilot, who did not get on the flight.

Why didn’t he? On Tuesday, Dave Henderson posted a message on his Facebook account making it clear that he was still alive. This Wednesday morning, most likely because of the abuse he was receiving online, he deactivated his account. Several people close to Henderson have told the BBC that he was neither in Nantes nor in France.

Who owned the plane?

The plane, a type of Piper Malibu, delivered in 1984, was given the registration N264DB in England. Cardiff City deny having been behind the flight: “We asked the player if he wanted us to make arrangements for his flight which, quite frankly, would have been a commercial flight,” said club president Mehmet Dalman, quoted by Wales Online. “He refused and made his own arrangements. I do not know who organised the flight, but it’s definitely not Cardiff City.” According to The Times, the plane is owned by a famous football agent, Willie McKay, who has a close relationship with the Welsh club. 20 Minutes have been able to confirm as much and McKay was also behind brokering the deal between Cardiff & Nantes.
    https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.co...in-unanswered/

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Lovely gesture.

just gets worse as mins hours and days go by...

we were desperate for sala to join us and keep us in the prem now i feel desperate for his close friends fans and family... and those of the pilot also, just terrible
    as a dad of 3 girls and bampy to a grandson i cant imagine how they must all be coping right now

im a grown 45 year old man... and i just want to cry the more i read and see the pics... and sadly its only going to get worse as time goes by

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Top man great tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    Wouldn’t trust him with a barge pole

PSG fans tonight at their French Cup game vs Strasbourg

https://twitter.com/paulsaintsernin/...005685760?s=09

Although I’ve flown dozens of times, I always feel a bit nervous, and always mighty relieved when you feel the wheels hit the runway when landing.
    I cannot begin to think of the sheer horror, and thoughts that would race through your mind, if a plane you were on, was hurtling towards the ground or sea, knowing that any moment your life will probably end. Truly a horrific way to go.
    I am so saddened by this disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    PSG fans tonight at their French Cup game vs Strasbourg

https://twitter.com/paulsaintsernin/...005685760?s=09
    Fantastic tribute ; tradgedy does indeed stretch out to all football fans far and wide (apart from a few brain dead arse*oles in South Wales who we cannot legislate for from both in Swansea & Cardiff).

Superb PSG

Hang on, have I got this right?
    Dalman wanted Sala to get a train to Paris, a flight to Heathrow and a taxi to Cardiff.
    Seriously!!!
    Meanwhile someone offers to fly him direct to Cardiff from Nantes.

The club have a multi million pound asset on their books and can't spring for an executive jet to bring him to Cardiff Airport?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Although I’ve flown dozens of times, I always feel a bit nervous, and always mighty relieved when you feel the wheels hit the runway when landing.
    I cannot begin to think of the sheer horror, and thoughts that would race through your mind, if a plane you were on, was hurtling towards the ground or sea, knowing that any moment your life will probably end. Truly a horrific way to go.
    I am so saddened by this disaster.
    Not only the plummeting towards the water, but the time in the water aswell (assuming the impact was survived). Just horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Dalman wanted Sala to get a train to Paris, a flight to Heathrow and a taxi to Cardiff.
    Seriously!!!

The club have a multi million pound asset on their books and can't spring for an executive jet to bring him to Cardiff Airport?
    Genuine question-are you getting all of this from the club saying they would have put him on a commercial flight? Not a criticism, just wondering if I've missed anything the club has said

Seriously!!!

Can't get my head round this either. Didn't the club fly him in directly from Nantes on an executive twin jet for his medical last Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Genuine question-are you getting all of this from the club saying they would have put him on a commercial flight? Not a criticism, just wondering if I've missed anything the club has said
    Sky Sports were speaking to Dalman, unless I misheard then that was the gist of it.

Seriously!!!

He should of been on a private jet plane, I’m going to offend some here,he said he was scared on tnis plane he was on, so why was he not provided with tnis, no one could of predicted this, but Cardiff chairman is ex banker, who seems to look after the pennies to much,

All I can think is that Sala wanted a full day in Nantes to say his farewells and no commercial flight times would have allowed him to do that and still get to Cardiff in time for training on Tuesday.
    The only way for him to do this would be a private flight in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    All I can think is that Sala wanted a full day in Nantes to say his farewells and no commercial flight times would have allowed him to do that and still get to Cardiff in time for training on Tuesday.
    The only way for him to do this would be a private flight in the evening.
    Someone on the pilots (pprune) forum said there was a commercial flight from Nantes to Cardiff via Amsterdam at 7.15pm arriving into Cardiff on KLM at 9.40pm.......if only

The pilots gas website with one review

https://www.bigreddirectory.com/dave...wle-scunthorpe

It seems to me the club is immune from criticism. The plane and flight were arranged by the agent who presumably, in consultation with Sala, opted to reject the club's offer. Unfortunately the agent's 24 year old single engined plane wasn't up to the job and neither it would seem was the pilot - a gas fitter who flew planes on the weekend and may not have even held a commercial licence and admitted himself in a tweet to be "rusty". Once the club's offer of a commercial flight was rejected, and the agent advised the club that he would make the arrangements, the situation was effectively taken out of the club's hands. The club could not have been expected to know the arrangements made by the agent were totally unsatisfactory, and to put it mildly amateurish. I gather, according to Simon Jordan, that it is not unusual for agents to arrange transport for their players.

No doubt some will speculate, if true, why the third pilot failed to get on the plane and this is likely to be examined in greater detail by the accident investigators!

There are many people who like to knock the club but in this situation they are blameless.