Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
It also needs to be said that as the days go by the opinions of some people could change dramatically - for example, someone reacting with genuine grief last Tuesday may now be feeling more angry as more details emerge about the circumstances behind the flight.

Interesting to read about Princess Di syndrome because I just didn't get the reaction to her death at all and was grateful to get into work a few days later to finally meet some other people who felt similarly to me. This time around though what happened did affect me deeply for a day or two (as I mentioned on my blog, Gary Speed's death is the only one I can think of as being in any way similar to how I felt as it became increasingly clear that Emiliano Sala's disappearance was unlikely to have a positive outcome) before I moved on to feeling more "normal".

My completely contrasting emotions in 1997 and last week show that if one person can feel so differently about tragedy, then it has to follow that the reaction will vary, often greatly, between one individual and another. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to deal with what happened last week, only different ways and, hardly surprisingly these days, people on both sides, myself included, have been judgmental in their rush to condemn those with a different viewpoint.

Our manager was closer to the situation than anyone contributing o this thread and so could well have been deeply affected by it to the extent that nothing he says today in his pre match press conference will surprise me. For example, he could announce his immediate retirement or he could issue a rallying cry imploring players and fans to give everything in a huge effort to defy the relegation odds as a mark of respect to Emiliano Sala - whatever he says won't be wrong because it's different to what you think.

Good post and well said