+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is NW okay ??

Re: Is NW okay ??

Neil Warnock will be doing his pre-Arsenal press conference tomorrow morning.

I imagine it will be the hardest one he has ever done.

I have some sympathy for posters who are annoyed by examples of Princess Di Syndrome, and some of the Sala song suggestions just astound me, but we are surely all united to some extent in shock, sadness, deep sympathy for his family and friends, and concern for the impact of this tragedy on our football club.

Very few of us knew much about him until recently, but we had been following an emerging story for many weeks leading up to his signing, and were emotionally invested in him. On top of that he turned out to be a good man who everyone liked and admired, and an inspiring player who had worked his way up through hard work and dedication, and was at the peak of his powers.

Neil Warnock and Ken Choo (and probably other members of staff and directors involved in the transfer) will feel all that much more than the fans who didn't have their personal connection. Ken Choo has been amazing this week, and handled everything with respect and dignity and emotional honesty. But Neil Warnock will have the hardest job of all tomorrow. I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

I have some sympathy for posters who are annoyed by examples of Princess Di Syndrome, and some of the Sala song suggestions just astound me, but we are surely all united to some extent in shock, sadness, deep sympathy for his family and friends, and concern for the impact of this tragedy on our football club.

Very few of us knew much about him until recently, but we had been following an emerging story for many weeks leading up to his signing, and were emotionally invested in him. On top of that he turned out to be a good man who everyone liked and admired, and an inspiring player who had worked his way up through hard work and dedication, and was at the peak of his powers.

Neil Warnock and Ken Choo (and probably other members of staff and directors involved in the transfer) will feel all that much more than the fans who didn't have their personal connection. Ken Choo has been amazing this week, and handled everything with respect and dignity and emotional honesty. But Neil Warnock will have the hardest job of all tomorrow. I wish him well.
    Excellently written and how I feel also. Wish I’d paused before reacting to an earlier post that was critical of Neil and in my opinion unwelcome and out of place. Neil Warnock wears his heart on his sleeve and shoes his emotions unreservedly. He’ll be humble, dignified and respectful - of that I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Excellently written and how I feel also. Wish I’d paused before reacting to an earlier post that was critical of Neil and in my opinion unwelcome and out of place. Neil Warnock wears his heart on his sleeve and shoes his emotions unreservedly. He’ll be humble, dignified and respectful - of that I’m sure.
    It's nice to have a smile in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Fine words, Jon. The sadness is one of a lost future, rather than of a beloved past. The speed of social media and the constant news cycle and reaction makes for a rush of sentiments that are a little competitive and ill-conceived but that's part of the circus we live in. Step away from that and I think most of us would be of the same, sedate mind.

Good luck to NW; I have no idea how one would approach the coming days.

It also needs to be said that as the days go by the opinions of some people could change dramatically - for example, someone reacting with genuine grief last Tuesday may now be feeling more angry as more details emerge about the circumstances behind the flight.

Interesting to read about Princess Di syndrome because I just didn't get the reaction to her death at all and was grateful to get into work a few days later to finally meet some other people who felt similarly to me. This time around though what happened did affect me deeply for a day or two (as I mentioned on my blog, Gary Speed's death is the only one I can think of as being in any way similar to how I felt as it became increasingly clear that Emiliano Sala's disappearance was unlikely to have a positive outcome) before I moved on to feeling more "normal".

My completely contrasting emotions in 1997 and last week show that if one person can feel so differently about tragedy, then it has to follow that the reaction will vary, often greatly, between one individual and another. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to deal with what happened last week, only different ways and, hardly surprisingly these days, people on both sides, myself included, have been judgmental in their rush to condemn those with a different viewpoint.

Our manager was closer to the situation than anyone contributing o this thread and so could well have been deeply affected by it to the extent that nothing he says today in his pre match press conference will surprise me. For example, he could announce his immediate retirement or he could issue a rallying cry imploring players and fans to give everything in a huge effort to defy the relegation odds as a mark of respect to Emiliano Sala - whatever he says won't be wrong because it's different to what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I don’t think it’s cynical to suggest people who have never met this person, and never heard of him a month ago, are being totally irrational when they are coming out with stuff like “I will never, ever get over this” or that “My heart is broken in two and I will never forget you until the day I die”.

You think that’s normal behaviour? And anyone who doesn’t is being cynical?
    Ye fine, but I think your condemnation is further reaching than just those two comments.

I dread to think what you’ll do when you see the scarves, shirts and over-sentimental banner that have been left outside the stadium. Again, if everyone were like you, there would either be no banner, or just a banner that says “Didn’t know him soooooo... condolences etc to his family. RIP.”. Too much sentiment is a bad thing but being too straight (and professing your disapproval of how others deal with it) is equally as inappropriate and out of line.

Besides, I was just reassuring you regarding your concerns that maybe you are a sociopath.... or were you just feeling sorry for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Ye fine, but I think your condemnation is further reaching than just those two comments.

I dread to think what you’ll do when you see the scarves, shirts and over-sentimental banner that have been left outside the stadium. Again, if everyone were like you, there would either be no banner, or just a banner that says “Didn’t know him soooooo... condolences etc to his family. RIP.”. Too much sentiment is a bad thing but being too straight (and professing your disapproval of how others deal with it) is equally as inappropriate and out of line.

Besides, I was just reassuring you regarding your concerns that maybe you are a sociopath.... or were you just feeling sorry for yourself?
    The sociopath comment was in relation to being called one on here. The banner is fine, its a nice touch. Leaving flowers, scarfgs.etcis a mark of respect and I get that.

I am talking about the examples ive already given and others such as people claiming that they had to leave work because they were so upset on hearing the news. I find that odd. Sorry if that offends.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The sociopath comment was in relation to being called one on here. The banner is fine, its a nice touch. Leaving flowers, scarfgs.etcis a mark of respect and I get that.

I am talking about the examples ive already given and others such as people claiming that they had to leave work because they were so upset on hearing the news. I find that odd. Sorry if that offends.
    It seems a bit hysterical....but I don’t if it’s worth calling people out on it.

Nobody ever KNOWS any football player but you form a bond somehow. I knew a bit about him and felt shocked. People who are a bit geeky about new signings probably feel it more.

You don’t have to feel bad about it, but I imagine you’re in a minority in feeling largely detached.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It also needs to be said that as the days go by the opinions of some people could change dramatically - for example, someone reacting with genuine grief last Tuesday may now be feeling more angry as more details emerge about the circumstances behind the flight.

Interesting to read about Princess Di syndrome because I just didn't get the reaction to her death at all and was grateful to get into work a few days later to finally meet some other people who felt similarly to me. This time around though what happened did affect me deeply for a day or two (as I mentioned on my blog, Gary Speed's death is the only one I can think of as being in any way similar to how I felt as it became increasingly clear that Emiliano Sala's disappearance was unlikely to have a positive outcome) before I moved on to feeling more "normal".

My completely contrasting emotions in 1997 and last week show that if one person can feel so differently about tragedy, then it has to follow that the reaction will vary, often greatly, between one individual and another. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to deal with what happened last week, only different ways and, hardly surprisingly these days, people on both sides, myself included, have been judgmental in their rush to condemn those with a different viewpoint.

Our manager was closer to the situation than anyone contributing o this thread and so could well have been deeply affected by it to the extent that nothing he says today in his pre match press conference will surprise me. For example, he could announce his immediate retirement or he could issue a rallying cry imploring players and fans to give everything in a huge effort to defy the relegation odds as a mark of respect to Emiliano Sala - whatever he says won't be wrong because it's different to what you think.
    I think a lot of the outpouring of grief may be because society has been over sensitised when it comes to death. It's not too long ago that when someone died they would die at home, or be taken to their home and would be on display in an open coffin for a few days before the funeral. These days, most people die in hospital, and before anyone has a chance to see them, they've been wrapped up in a white sheet and carted off to the fridge. The next time anyone sees them they're in a seraled wooden box at the church or crematorium.

That's just the way modern society is. We're removed from the actualities of these events, and whereas society was de-sensitised in the past, we now have the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Good post and well said