+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Allen

Joe Allen

I see Stoke had another disappointing home defeat today.
    Would new manager Nathan Jones accept an offer for Joe ?
    Would he want to come ?

Re: Joe Allen

I can't believe anybody thinks that Joe Allen would come to play for Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I can't believe anybody thinks that Joe Allen would come to play for Cardiff
    Of course he would. He is a professional footballer.

It would be great if he did but I suspect that if Warnock wanted him then he’d already be here.

I’m surprised that he isn’t playing in the Premier League somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Of course he would. He is a professional footballer.

It would be great if he did but I suspect that if Warnock wanted him then he’d already be here.

I’m surprised that he isn’t playing in the Premier League somewhere.
    He's a professional footballer from Carmarthen who was affiliated with Swansea from the age of 9 to 22. I'd love to be wrong but there's just no way he'd come here, he'd be hated back west

I've posted on here in the past complaining about the vile song some of our fans used to chant about Allen and his father.

Does anyone think he's not aware of that song?

Does anyone think he wasn't offended by that song?

I would love to see him come to us because he's a great player.

But .....

Chickens and roost come to mind.

He's a professional footballer. If the money was right, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance of playing with any team in the EPL.

He told me he wants it or was that Keith Allan , bloody sherry ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He's a professional footballer. If the money was right, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance of playing with any team in the EPL.
    Of course he would.

He's a professional footballer from Carmarthen who was affiliated with Swansea from the age of 9 to 22. I'd love to be wrong but there's just no way he'd come here, he'd be hated back west
    I think that we’ll have to disagree on this one.

There are plenty examples of players crossing genuinely significant footballing divides (some even based on religion!) as opposed to a parochial one that some of our fans seem to think exists between us and Swansea.

He’d sign in heartbeat if the money was right.

Would be completely out of place playing for us.

Half of his passes are back to the centre halfs. If they are ‘footballing ‘ centre half’s then that’s fine, but to Morrison and Bamba, that’s asking for trouble.

Better suited cheaper players out there, they just aren’t Welsh.

Agreed

It's not happing lets move on before , before it comes a type of Pulis for manager thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Would be completely out of place playing for us.

Half of his passes are back to the centre halfs. If they are ‘footballing ‘ centre half’s then that’s fine, but to Morrison and Bamba, that’s asking for trouble.

Better suited cheaper players out there, they just aren’t Welsh.
    He doesn’t play that way for Wales.

I think you’re stereotyping him from his Swansea days.

He’s got more strings to his bow than someone who just passes the ball 5 yards sideways or backwards.

We could certainly do with a player in the middle who can bring others into play. The wingers and Camarasa could certainly do with a Joe Allen alongside them. The amount of times we needlessly give possession away is ridiculous for the level we are playing at. Especially when Joe Ralls is in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He doesn’t play that way for Wales.

I think you’re stereotyping him from his Swansea days.

He’s got more strings to his bow than someone who just passes the ball 5 yards sideways or backwards.

We could certainly do with a player in the middle who can bring others into play. The wingers and Camarasa could certainly do with a Joe Allen alongside them. The amount of times we needlessly give possession away is ridiculous for the level we are playing at. Especially when Joe Ralls is in the team.
    I’ve seen virtually every Wales game he’s played in and he constantly cycles the ball through the back 4. I bet if you did a heat map then Williams would be the one he’s passed to most.
    Certainly seen him more times for Wales than I did for Swansea as I rarely watched them.

It’s his game and it works with the right players.

Anyone who thinks he’d fit into a Warnock team must have a screw loose.

Besides which, he’s not really setting Stoke alight at the moment.

Much better chance he will return to the Jacks in my opinion

I’ve seen virtually every Wales game he’s played in and he constantly cycles the ball through the back 4. I bet if you did a heat map then Williams would be the one he’s passed to most.
    Certainly seen him more times for Wales than I did for Swansea as I rarely watched them.

So what players fit into a Warnock system then? Are we ruling out anyone who can pass and control a football?

He might not be setting the world alight at Stoke but, newsflash, Warnock and Cardiff City are not setting the world alight either.

The Warnock Way certainly isn’t working in this division and maybe a slight tweak in his usual tactics or formation, and a player or two who give a different dimension to his usual style is what is required.

I’m not suggesting we start passing the ball around the back 4 but this notion we can’t sign anyone who can pass because Warnock doesn’t play that way is nonsensical and hamstringing us.

Warnock needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Going long and hitting the centre forward from anywhere on the pitch and working off the second ball, and more often than not conceding possession, just doesn’t cut it at this level anymore.

So what players fit into a Warnock system then? Are we ruling out anyone who can pass and control a football?

He might not be setting the world alight at Stoke but, newsflash, Warnock and Cardiff City are not setting the world alight either.

The Warnock Way certainly isn’t working in this division and maybe a slight tweak in his usual tactics or formation, and a player or two who give a different dimension to his usual style is what is required.

I’m not suggesting we start passing the ball around the back 4 but this notion we can’t sign anyone who can pass because Warnock doesn’t play that way is nonsensical and hamstringing us.

Warnock needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Going long and hitting the centre forward from anywhere on the pitch and working off the second ball, and more often than not conceding possession, just doesn’t cut it at this level anymore.
    Not someone with no physical presence who is struggling in the Championship. TBH I’m fed up of seeng him mentioned all the time because we all see him doing well for Wales.

A tweak fine, Camerasa is a start towards that, but a complete change of system no.

Not someone with no physical presence who is struggling in the Championship. TBH I’m fed up of seeng him mentioned all the time because we all see him doing well for Wales.

A tweak fine, Camerasa is a start towards that, but a complete change of system no.
    You honestly think Joe wouldn’t improve our side? No physical presence? You’re stuck in the 80s and your park football sorry to say

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    You honestly think Joe wouldn’t improve our side? No physical presence? You’re stuck in the 80s and your park football sorry to say
    To be fair, so is our management team

I love Joe and I think he’s a great player but don’t think he has the legs to flourish in this system

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I love Joe and I think he’s a great player but don’t think he has the legs to flourish in this system
    Players don’t need to run around like headless chickens when they have a good positional sense

Allen is a vital link between defence and midfield for Wales - something Cardiff need badly, he doesn't just recycle the ball

And you are in dreamland.

I’ve explained why I think it wouldn’t work.

You and a few others just think we can magically switch to playing a different way. Without major changes we can’t. Just bringing in one player who can keep the ball, and even then one who’s personally having a bad time isn’t going to sort that.

Probably half the teams in the Championship would beat us trying to play that way.

It’s far too late in the day for this, if it was the summer and we had time to bring in 4/5 then it would be a gamble , now it would just be suicide

Players don’t need to run around like headless chickens when they have a good positional sense
    You are right when we have the ball.

We have the ball 30-35% of the match generally. I feel we need legs or ‘people that can run round like headless chickens if needs be’

Most of the players who Warnock would like who I know of are out of our range.
    Which is why we are looking abroad at players who I know very little of.

As for the system not working, we are 20 places higher than when Warnock came in, after 2 seasons, - it’s worked.
    If we’d continued trying to play the short passing style we’d be in league 1 now.

We are still higher in the league than was predicted in the summer, so to say it’s not working isn’t right. 2 sides below us who are ‘footballing’ teams - with better players than us.

Joe Allen isn’t a ‘tweak’ he’s a player who is used to a completely different style to what we play.

He’s got players around him in Clucas and Woods who are used to that system and thenWilliams in defender, who he’s played with hundreds of times.

If he can’t make it work there then he won’t here.

You really think he’d see the ball again after playing short balls to Artur, Morrison,Patterson, Peltier, Gunnar, Bamba etc..

Or are you thinking of giving up this season and building a different system for the next year or 2.

Also he’s 29 in a few weeks, if you are going to do that then you’d be better off going for someone younger.

It just doesn’t make sense to me .

He’s a great player for Wales, one of our most consistent and has actually had a decent run at Stoke recently, but sorry to say he’d be lost here.
    I’d love to back a sensible option to improve us, but can’t see this working. I doubt he be cheap either.

Not that any of this would have the slightest effect on your entrenched opinion that we need to play on the floor at all costs.