+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Allen

Re: Joe Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    And you are in dreamland.

I’ve explained why I think it wouldn’t work.

You and a few others just think we can magically switch to playing a different way. Without major changes we can’t. Just bringing in one player who can keep the ball, and even then one who’s personally having a bad time isn’t going to sort that.

Probably half the teams in the Championship would beat us trying to play that way.

It’s far too late in the day for this, if it was the summer and we had time to bring in 4/5 then it would be a gamble , now it would just be suicide
    Spot on. I wonder what team some of our posters are watching . We are hard working at best with two maybe three decent footballers . To change our style would be suicide . Does anyone else remember what happened when the the football genius Ollie was set free to manage our hard working side the last time we were in the premier league ?

You and a few others just think we can magically switch to playing a different way. Without major changes we can’t. Just bringing in one player who can keep the ball, and even then one who’s personally having a bad time isn’t going to sort that.

Probably half the teams in the Championship would beat us trying to play that way.

It’s far too late in the day for this, if it was the summer and we had time to bring in 4/5 then it would be a gamble , now it would just be suicide
    That’s why when NW does retire, choosing a replacement will be tricky. You can’t suddenly put a ‘Pep’ style Manager in charge, it has to be a pragmatic appointment with someone who is just a degree different, not a polar opposite.

Sadly, I agree with you. We are too far down the "Warnock Way" for any change of style to work if it was to be incorporated during a season and I'm not even sure a summer influx of four or five more technical players in an attempt to introduce a more considered, passing approach would work when you consider that, apart from well under a year with Ole and Trollope in charge, every manager we've had since the summer of 2011 has, to a degree, favoured the same method of playing the game.

In truth, I struggle to come up with many Cardiff sides down the years that played the game "the right way" - power, physique and aerial strength have nearly always been characteristics of City teams in the time I've been watching them.

He’s probably on good money at Stoke still too, prob more than most of our team

I’m not expecting us to sign Allen and suddenly start playing like Barcelona ffs, Is Ralls better than Allen in any department? The greatest player that has ever lived is 5 foot 7, we need players with a bit of composure

I think Joe Allen is massively overrated by Welsh fans.

However whatever system we play to suggest he doesnt improve us is crazy.

He has a composure on the ball we are lacking.

Its irrelevant anyway. He wont come and we cant afford him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Its irrelevant anyway. He wont come and we cant afford him.
    I think this would have saved 2 pages

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I’m not expecting us to sign Allen and suddenly start playing like Barcelona ffs, Is Ralls better than Allen in any department? The greatest player that has ever lived is 5 foot 7, we need players with a bit of composure
    Ralls isn’t even in the side at the moment.

Are you going to buy him and put him on the bench ?

And how much do you think he’ll cost us in wages and fees ? Stoke aren’t going to GIVE him to us.

Better off getting someone who will fit in with our system. Warnock wants a defensive midfielder to take the pressure off Gunnarsson. Can’t see JA doing the running and hassling that Gunnar does. He’ll just get brushed off.

It’s a non starter in so many ways.

It’s an indicator that no one else from the Prem has signed him either.

Ralls isn’t even in the side at the moment.

Are you going to buy him and put him on the bench ?

And how much do you think he’ll cost us in wages and fees ? Stoke aren’t going to GIVE him to us.

Better off getting someone who will fit in with our system. Warnock wants a defensive midfielder to take the pressure off Gunnarsson. Can’t see JA doing the running and hassling that Gunnar does. He’ll just get brushed off.

It’s a non starter in so many ways.

It’s an indicator that no one else from the Prem has signed him either.
    I used Ralls as a simple comparison he’s better than all our midfielders and no he wouldn’t just run around like gunners because he’s more intelligent than that but obviously we just want players who can run around and put 100% in

Most of the players who Warnock would like who I know of are out of our range.
    Which is why we are looking abroad at players who I know very little of.

As for the system not working, we are 20 places higher than when Warnock came in, after 2 seasons, - it’s worked.
    If we’d continued trying to play the short passing style we’d be in league 1 now.

We are still higher in the league than was predicted in the summer, so to say it’s not working isn’t right. 2 sides below us who are ‘footballing’ teams - with better players than us.

Joe Allen isn’t a ‘tweak’ he’s a player who is used to a completely different style to what we play.

He’s got players around him in Clucas and Woods who are used to that system and thenWilliams in defender, who he’s played with hundreds of times.

If he can’t make it work there then he won’t here.

You really think he’d see the ball again after playing short balls to Artur, Morrison,Patterson, Peltier, Gunnar, Bamba etc..

Or are you thinking of giving up this season and building a different system for the next year or 2.

Also he’s 29 in a few weeks, if you are going to do that then you’d be better off going for someone younger.

It just doesn’t make sense to me .

He’s a great player for Wales, one of our most consistent and has actually had a decent run at Stoke recently, but sorry to say he’d be lost here.
    I’d love to back a sensible option to improve us, but can’t see this working. I doubt he be cheap either.

Not that any of this would have the slightest effect on your entrenched opinion that we need to play on the floor at all costs.
    Sorry but where in my posts did I say we have to completely change our style of play and play football on the deck at all costs?

By tweak I am asking for someone in the middle who can actually pass the football, wether that be Joe Allen, or someone else, to our wingers, or to a Camarasa or Reid in the hole, on the half turn. Is that really too much to ask of professional footballers on tens of thousands a week? Wether they are Premier League players in name only Championship standard players should be expected to do that.

We play with wingers but can’t even get them the ball. What damage is a winger going to do without the ball? Or more often than not receiving it near the half way line?

Your apathy to professional footballers being asked to do something quite basic is astounding. You swear we are a non league side dropped into the Premier League and asked to compete.

I also said the Warnock Way is not working AT THIS LEVEL so I don’t know why you are twisting that. Yes we’ve raised 20 places since he’s been here, no ones saying he hasn’t done a fantastic job all in all, but if we’re not careful a lot of that good work will be undone.

We could be back in the Championship come August, with a squad not much better than the one that ability wise probably over achieved to get up, and we’ve spent 50m on it. In fact worse because as it stands Joe Ralls will be the only central midfielder at the club. At the very least the aim this year was if relegated was to go down with a much better squad than the one which got promoted. Can we honestly say that will be the case if nothing changes between now and the end of the season?

And I stand by if we continue as we are then the Warnock Way does not work at this level. We have played all our home games against the bottom 8 except for Palace. Weve just been battered by one of our relegation rivals, and battered in all but scoreline by the team who are bottom of the league.

Something clearly needs to change or in my opinion we won’t get close to staying up, or even get to 30 points carrying on the way we are.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sorry but where in my posts did I say we have to completely change our style of play and play football on the deck at all costs?

By tweak I am asking for someone in the middle who can actually pass the football, wether that be Joe Allen, or someone else, to our wingers, or to a Camarasa or Reid in the hole, on the half turn. Is that really too much to ask of professional footballers on tens of thousands a week? Wether they are Premier League players in name only Championship standard players should be expected to do that.

We play with wingers but can’t even get them the ball. What damage is a winger going to do without the ball? Or more often than not receiving it near the half way line?

Your apathy to professional footballers being asked to do something quite basic is astounding. You swear we are a non league side dropped into the Premier League and asked to compete.

I also said the Warnock Way is not working AT THIS LEVEL so I don’t know why you are twisting that. Yes we’ve raised 20 places since he’s been here, no ones saying he hasn’t done a fantastic job all in all, but if we’re not careful a lot of that good work will be undone.

We could be back in the Championship come August, with a squad not much better than the one that ability wise probably over achieved to get up, and we’ve spent 50m on it. In fact worse because as it stands Joe Ralls will be the only central midfielder at the club. At the very least the aim this year was if relegated was to go down with a much better squad than the one which got promoted. Can we honestly say that will be the case if nothing changes between now and the end of the season?

And I stand by if we continue as we are then the Warnock Way does not work at this level. We have played all our home games against the bottom 8 except for Palace. Weve just been battered by one of our relegation rivals, and battered in all but scoreline by the team who are bottom of the league.

Something clearly needs to change or in my opinion we won’t get close to staying up, or even get to 30 points carrying on the way we are.
    This was the point of my post.
    The Sala incident is absolutely gut wrenching but it seems that the same squad will carry on playing the same way.
    For me that is nailed on relegation so we have to consider the future (I am sorry but championship football)
    We need to introduce one or two players who have better football brains and a degree of comfort on the ball.
    This is why I raised the question of Joe Allen.
    Is he the answer ? Maybe not but surely the type of player we should be considering.
    Murphy is potentially our most dangerous forwards but does not make the starting eleven as his defending is suspect.
    If that is our thought process then we have no chance