+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well done County.

Well done County.

Great result today and it was well deserved apparently.

Re: Well done County.

i watched it they battled well.. or boro under performed usual type of thing

but great little scramble for the goal, nothing better than injury time levelers lol

well done newport deserved it

Awkward truth is that a long cup run, especially one with replays and as a team with more limited squads, probably means that promotion won't happen this season.

Well done County. Massive positives in these types of results too, and you'll enjoy MotD more tonight than we have in recent weeks.

First Team

Always had, unlike many on here, a soft spot for the County.
    Really enjoyed watching their giant killing of Leicester and to get a draw up in M'boro is an equally impressive result.
    On that paddy field of a pitch, at Rodney Parade ,they make well make Pullis feel uncomfortable on his homecoming.

Talksport mentioned earlier today that Cewnty fans up at 'boro had placed an Argentinian flag with a picture of Sala on the gates at the Riverside. If so, well done boys

Looked like they had a decent following up there as well.
    Mate went to their game when we were at Watford and it was called off. In the pub they were cheering Watford’s goals.

Sad really. Think we’ve played them something like 6-8 times in the league since WW2 and they’ve only won once.

About time they realised there’s no real rivalry when it’s all 1 way

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Mate went to their game when we were at Watford and it was called off. In the pub they were cheering Watford’s goals.

Sad really. Think we’ve played them something like 6-8 times in the league since WW2 and they’ve only won once.

They hate us with a passion.

A real irrational hatred.

Using “they” to describe County fans’ feelings towards CCFC I think csn be misleading. I imagine that maybe a cross-section of Newportians enjoy hating Cardiff City but there is just to much of an overlap in the areas each club draws followers from.

Valleys people follow both....even the Jacks.

I follow both. Don’t see what anyone can say about it tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

This so true,going to the club on stow hill in the 70s was a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    This so true,going to the club on stow hill in the 70s was a riot.
    Too young to go that far back but I remember going there in the FAW cup early 2000s and it was not a pleasant experience! They seemed to have every lunatic living in Newport out to hurt anyone travelling in from the West!

They played in the same league as Merthyr for a couple of years and a few Merthyr supporters I know had a rough time down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Using “they” to describe County fans’ feelings towards CCFC I think csn be misleading. I imagine that maybe a cross-section of Newportians enjoy hating Cardiff City but there is just to much of an overlap in the areas each club draws followers from.

Valleys people follow both....even the Jacks.

I follow both. Don’t see what anyone can say about it tbh.
    ‘They’
    Meant the ones cheering when Watford scored against us.
    As for overlap. I’m from Caerphilly - born and bred and lived 15 years in Bedwas more recently - more or less equidistant.
    Can’t remember meeting 1 Newport fan in either place. There are 2 Swansea fans, I know of and get on well with, but Newport

Although did play footy with 1 who lived in Cardiff for a few seasons.

Seems to me that the vast majority of their support is from the ‘tewn’

And good for them. I like Newport, in some ways...its much more down to earth than Cardiff.

Just don’t like anyone who knocks our fans or club.

Unsurprisingly.

Think the ‘rivalry’ as they see it stems from 1982/83 season before Swansea started progressing

‘They’
    As for overlap. I’m from Caerphilly - born and bred and lived 15 years in Bedwas more recently - more or less equidistant.
    Can’t remember meeting 1 Newport fan in either place. There are 2 Swansea fans, I know of and get on well with, but Newport

And good for them. I like Newport, in some ways...its much more down to earth than Cardiff.

Unsurprisingly.
    I don’t know any Newport fans Merthyr either. Plenty of Jacks but no Newport. Certainly the Cardiff fans from Merthyr don’t follow both Cardiff and Newport.

My cousin played for Newport at the arse end of his career so I went to watch them a few times. I was in the clubhouse after one game and Cardiff had lost and there was a big cheer when they read out the scores.

Id say the vast majority of Cardiff fans couldnt give a shit how Newport do. I only knew they were playing Boro today when the equaliser came through on BBC.

Im about as interested in a Newport result as a Rotherham result. IE no interest.

It probably p!sses their hard core support that we either have no interest or wish them well.

I don’t know any Newport fans Merthyr either. Plenty of Jacks but no Newport. Certainly the Cardiff fans from Merthyr don’t follow both Cardiff and Newport.

My cousin played for Newport at the arse end of his career so I went to watch them a few times. I was in the clubhouse after one game and Cardiff had lost and there was a big cheer when they read out the scores.
    A few City fans I know watch Newport occasionally, but none of them are fans.

I won’t go with them as a, I’m probably away watching City and b. I’d probably react and get us a kicking. Shame as, like I said, I like Newport’s pubs and most people I’ve met there, there’s a County fan has driven our bus a few times and he is as good as gold- proper gent... but there’s always a few.

One ex Newport player played for our parks side too for a couple of seasons..strange, was abusing him one minute against City and alongside him a few seasons later.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Think the ‘rivalry’ as they see it stems from 1982/83 season before Swansea started progressing
    One season, then we went up.
    Then we played them a few times in division 4 before we went up again and they went bust.

Personally I’d like to see us work with them more with loan players etc.. benefit both clubs.

Hereford and the Bristol clubs are/ we’re bigger rivals to me.

‘They’

Unsurprisingly.
    I sympathise. Had some Wrexham fans take me to task because of some sort of favouritism shown from the FAW towards City. It does taint my image of their club somewhat. Also had a run in with a County fan. Also had a few moments with “Cardiff City fans” (probably some of the most tense)...ranging from racist stuff, the threat of kicking my head in to having a bottle thrown in mine and my friends direction....all in Cardiff , perpetrated by fans of the club I support.

I too was born in the Miners and know of some people who , whilst being fans of the City, used to go to watch County at Somerton Park in the seventies . Maybe it’s a generational thing but I think you’ll probably find a fair number of City fans from the area you are talking about that would have been to watch County back in the day.

My farther has never felt any ill will towards NC and did watch games at Somerton. That fact, has obviously rubbed off on me.

Generally speaking, I like rivalries as it creates moments in football that are unique and emotionally it’s incomparable (Chopra, Bellamy etc). That said, other times, it can seem like more of a deficiency as opposed to something anyone should be proud of. Knowing where to draw the line is key. During a match between two rival teams, fine. A bit of friendly banter, ok. Anything more than that and it’s just irrational.

One season, then we went up.
    Then we played them a few times in division 4 before we went up again and they went bust.

Personally I’d like to see us work with them more with loan players etc.. benefit both clubs.

Hereford and the Bristol clubs are/ we’re bigger rivals to me.
    I certainly don’t think of them as ‘rivals’ but back in the 70’s & 80’s Bristol Rovers was about as much rivalry as we had. I even remember wanting Swansea to do well in their first year under Toshack but that soon changed when they became a little too good

I remember coming back from the play off final on the train.It stopped just before a Newport station,the track is elevated and down below was a pub with a few people drinking outside-it was boiling that day if I remember rightly.They took a few moments to realise the train above was full of City fans,but when they did, there was absolute joy on their faces and they were loving it,giving us wanker signs and 3-2 signs with their fingers.They even went inside and got more punters out to join in!That was when I realised how much they hate us,I’d never come across it before outside of a game between us.

How many posts needed about a rivalry, even saying if debating whether it does exist, before it becomes a rivalry? No matter what County do it always seems to be the same thread.

I went to watch them last week against Exeter , really enjoyed it, raw football in many ways . Went into Newport after with my mate and did hear quite a few negative comments about Cardiff . To be fair if I lived in Newport I would have a chip on my shoulder as well.

It is unlikely that the vast majority of football fans of any club miscontrue rivalty as hate. Just the imature and brainless ones.

I used to work in the Patent Office and fairly often would work late there on a Friday night as a prelude to a work piss up in Newport. One night around twenty years ago, I got talking football in the Murenger to a local who I had never seen before then in my life. We were getting on well for about half an hour, but that all changed when I let slip that I was a City fan. His attitude changed completely after that and, although I never thought things would get as serious as a punch up, some of my work mates did and I was persuaded that it would be best if we moved on to another pub.

Apart from "banter" with work mates from Newport (in truth, most of them were more fans of a Premier League club than County and they tended to look down their noses at me for being a fan of a "small time" team like Cardiff), that has been the only instance of any sort of problem I've come across since I watched my first game at Somerton Park in 1970. Since then, I've been to Newport watching them play at three different venues well over a hundred times and never had the slightest problem - I can even remember standing among County fans during a Welsh Cup game in 82/83 (the season when the "rivalry" between the two sets of fans was probably at it's liveliest) shouting for City and the worst thing that happened to me was that the home fans took the piss out of me and my mates at the final whistle after County had beaten us.

I used to watch County with my father in the 60's/70's occasionally when City were away and have always wanted them to do well. I then went to watcb them a couple of times when they got back in the League and was surprised to read regular references in their programme to 'our biggest rivals down the road' which was sheer delusion considering where we have usually been in relation to each other status-wise.
    I also went to see them once last season and they were one of the most manic hostile crowds I'd been in.

Their manager seems a decent fella.
    Good for them, I quite like them and wish them further success.