+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Favourite Horror Films.

OT Favourite Horror Films.

I thinking I've seen a lot of horror but am always on the look out for something new.

I like most of the classics , a la, Texas Chainsaw, Exorcist, The Shining etc
    Also love European horror , in particular the French Extremity stuff and Giallo.
    Some American, UK and Asian stuff is great too, especially some of the Iranian or Turkish horror. Love it.

Any recommendations ? I'm particularly unacquainted with pre-70's horror (Hitchcock aside)..... I always feel like it might be a bit tame.

Re: OT Favourite Horror Films.

The Wailing as recommended by Lord Kenwynne on this very messageboard. It’s on Netflix. It’s starts off being a bit iffy but jets gets darker and darker with a great climax. It’s on Netflix.

Watched 'Hereditary' last night. Not really sure what happened.

Original Friday the 13th is absolutely hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The Wailing as recommended by Lord Kenwynne on this very messageboard. It’s on Netflix. It’s starts off being a bit iffy but jets gets darker and darker with a great climax. It’s on Netflix.
    I saw it last night as a matter of fact. Good film. Enjoyed it. Twistier than I expected. I like the subtlety of Asian horror....rarely get overly gross-out , and when it does it seems less gratuitous than the US stuff.

Ones I've enjoyed recently "a girl walks home alone at night" and "Baskin"

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Try watching Love if you like that kind of thing. Didn't find it very scary though! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3774694/

Legend of hell house is on tonight , that's a bit dated but creepy and Gayle hunnicutt is sexy as my trousers in it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Legend of hell house is on tonight , that's a bit dated but creepy and Gayle hunnicutt is sexy as my trousers in it
    And the gorgeous Pamela Franklin , who gets crushed by a stone crucifix

Lots of horror films shock , gore and jump and make you look away now and then in my view a good horror haunts you, and I can only think of a few Exorcist, The Shining ,The Birds and Evil Dead

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Lots of horror films shock , gore and jump and make you look away now and then in my view a good horror haunts you, and I can only think of a few Exorcist, The Shining ,The Birds and Evil Dead
    Bully, salo, aserbian film

Best ghost story is the original "The Haunting" made in 1963 in b&w, which is based on The haunting of Hill House, but different.(Forget the awful remake with Kath Z-J).
    There are a few jumps, but also high tension.
    The best thing they did was not show the ghost, nor show any gore.

Bully, salo, aserbian film
    Will check out. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I watched Evil Dead last night. It gets loads of plaudits BUT it was a little bit too trashy for me. Spoiled the mood. I know I’m just probably not getting it though.....same goes for The Smiths, Radiohead and Jazz music.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I thinking I've seen a lot of horror but am always on the look out for something new.

I like most of the classics , a la, Texas Chainsaw, Exorcist, The Shining etc
    Also love European horror , in particular the French Extremity stuff and Giallo.
    Some American, UK and Asian stuff is great too, especially some of the Iranian or Turkish horror. Love it.

Any recommendations ? I'm particularly unacquainted with pre-70's horror (Hitchcock aside)..... I always feel like it might be a bit tame.
    Norwegian horror Fritt Vilt ( cold prey ) One , Two and Three are decent.

Irreversible..

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Irreversible..
    Get out the cab !!

The Cardiff Lift sounds really scary!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...davids-cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Cardiff Lift sounds really scary!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...davids-cardiff
    Don't go down to the lifts today

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I watched Evil Dead last night. It gets loads of plaudits BUT it was a little bit too trashy for me. Spoiled the mood. I know I’m just probably not getting it though.....same goes for The Smiths, Radiohead and Jazz music.
    It was of its time and I believe Raimi and his cast / crew actually had to live in the cabin for the duration of filming . The demonic tree rape was of its time and got into problems ,still banned in some countries.

Filmed in super 8 ,the low down camera work running in the forest scenes were a first, hugely influenced others and the Coen brothers , don't think it was box office smash, I seem to remember it made its name as a pirate video as its was banned ,bit like Chainsaw Massacre ,you get them as pirate copies ,my kids loved it ??

Don't think I've watched one since Psycho. Don't appeal to me.

No takers yet for The Human Centipede then.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Best ghost story is the original "The Haunting" made in 1963 in b&w, which is based on The haunting of Hill House, but different.(Forget the awful remake with Kath Z-J).
    There are a few jumps, but also high tension.
    The best thing they did was not show the ghost, nor show any gore.
    That is an excellent film and, as you say, all the better for not showing a ghost/monster.

Let The Right One In is a very good Scandi horror/vampire film.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    No takers yet for The Human Centipede then.....
    ..the second one was best for me

Get out the cab !!
    what do you mean get out the cabs

I've tried three times to watch Suspiria, with the soundtrack by Goblin. I've never made it past 20 minutes, normally with a pounding headache.