+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: My sporting weekend.....

My sporting weekend.....

Yesterday afternoon:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach at home to Augsburg (2-0)

Yesterday evening:
    Venlo v Emmen (Dutch Eredivisie) 2-3

This afternoon:
    KFC Uerdingen v Würzburg Kickers (German 3rd Division) 0-3

Right now:
    Düsseldorf v Augsburg (German Ice Hockey) 3-1 so far.

It's been hectit fantastic fun. Looking forward to getting home for a rest.

:tbg:

Re: My sporting weekend.....

You daft **** but good on you. Life is living.

No one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yesterday afternoon:

Yesterday evening:

This afternoon:

Right now:

gemacht

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    No one cares.
    Quite possiblh

Yesterday afternoon:

Yesterday evening:

This afternoon:

Right now:

My sporting weekend, Cardiff under 18s v QPR under 18s, struggles somewhat in comparison

Morrison’s shopping on Saturday, few pints, f*ck all yesterday, Chinese last night, up for work now😡

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    No one cares.

What's the standard like in the lower division, is it equivalent to ours??

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    What's the standard like in the lower division, is it equivalent to ours??
    It's difficult to tell from one game. The best of the three footy games was the Dutch game - and it included the best performers of the weekend. The Gladbach game wasn't that entertaining and Uerdingen were dire in their game. The ice hockey was breath-taking.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Dog racing in Vung Tau

You eat the winner

apparently

It's difficult to tell from one game. The best of the three footy games was the Dutch game - and it included the best performers of the weekend. The Gladbach game wasn't that entertaining and Uerdingen were dire in their game. The ice hockey was breath-taking.
    How about your local club? Aren't Taunton top of their respective league at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How about your local club? Aren't Taunton top of their respective league at the moment?
    Yes, they were promoted last season and top of the new division this season. They don't seem to be high profile in the town for the uncommitted though - as I never see any ads for their games even on posters in shops here. The same can be said of the rugby team.

Could you do some freelance scouting for the club?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Could you do some freelance scouting for the club?
    I did wonder about dropping the club a line about one or two players that impressed me. A right winger with Venlo was impressive, and an attacking midfielder with Emmen and a right winger with Wurzburg were very good. Sadly, there were no outstanding players in the positions we need most......

what was the atmosphere like at Gladbach, crowd figure and overall experience ?

Was close to getting tickets for them in a few weeks but going to Schalke instead now

cia nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post

Was close to getting tickets for them in a few weeks but going to Schalke instead now

cia nick
    Gladbach is always a good experience, as are German games in general. I just have a soft spot for Gladbach as I first saw them play in the mid-seventies and they are based not far from where I used to live. The crowd was around 42,000, a bit lower than their average this season.
    One thing to be noted is free travel on buses, trains and trams in the local area on the day of the match if you are in possession of a ticket (and the local area to Gladbach is more about 100 km N-S x 100 km E-W). Even the Dutch city of Venlo is included in the area concerned! That arrangement doesn't just apply to Gladbach and even the 14 Euros ticket to see KFC Uerdingen offered the same free travel. Over the Sat and Sun we took trains, trams and buses all over the place (including down to Dusseldorf) and it didn't cost us a penny. Add to that free use of a luggage drop-off point at the Gladbach game and the opportunity to drink beer both in the football and ice-hockey games and it was all a great experience - and dare I say that the crowds seemed a tad less aggressive to the supporters of the opposition.
    By the way, Gladbach's new(ish) ground is 'out of town' but free shuttle buses are laid on three hours before and after the match.

All the matches we attended, even in the lower divisions, had far more atmosphere than the funereal Nou Camp last season, the crowd there having the feel of being predominantly neutrals (like me) as it was so quiet.
    Next season, two or three Italian games over a weekend beckon.....

I'm sure you will enjoy Schalke though!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post

cia nick
    I've done Schalke twice. Once in the away end (with Hertha Berlin) and once in the home end.

Great stadium and as pointed out above it is just a great experience all round really.
    Germans seem to get football right.
    Free travel, beer in the stadium and just a much better experience.
    As TBG pointed out the stadiums are usually out of town but the transport is so spot on (and free) that it isn't a hassle at all with regular trams. When you get to the Veltins there are pop up bars and food stalls all around the ground as well as inside.

On the tram line to the ground is the Schalke Mile or Meile in German. The fans meet in the area near their old home ground as a nod to their roots and have a good drink and sing song in the pubs there. I would highly recommend it. You can just hop off and back on with regular trams.

Seeing over 16,000 on one terrace behind the goal bouncing just after kick off along with the pre match singing of Steigerlied with the scarves swinging is something to behold in itself. I'd recommend it to anybody.

Forgot to add Steigerlied being a mining song so they're not unlike the City in that respect and they play in blue and white. You'll also notice plenty of pick and shovel badges and flags in the same style as West Ham's badge.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I've done Schalke twice. Once in the away end (with Hertha Berlin) and once in the home end.

Great stadium and as pointed out above it is just a great experience all round really.
    Germans seem to get football right.
    Free travel, beer in the stadium and just a much better experience.
    As TBG pointed out the stadiums are usually out of town but the transport is so spot on (and free) that it isn't a hassle at all with regular trams. When you get to the Veltins there are pop up bars and food stalls all around the ground as well as inside.

On the tram line to the ground is the Schalke Mile or Meile in German. The fans meet in the area near their old home ground as a nod to their roots and have a good drink and sing song in the pubs there. I would highly recommend it. You can just hop off and back on with regular trams.

Seeing over 16,000 on one terrace behind the goal bouncing just after kick off along with the pre match singing of Steigerlied with the scarves swinging is something to behold in itself. I'd recommend it to anybody.

Forgot to add Steigerlied being a mining song so they're not unlike the City in that respect and they play in blue and white. You'll also notice plenty of pick and shovel badges and flags in the same style as West Ham's badge.

Enjoy.
    And we forgot to say that it's possible to stand up in some designated parts of a club's ground.